PHSAT XXIV at Princeton (9/24/16)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

PHSAT XXIV at Princeton (9/24/16)

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

Apologies for the delay, folks. Princeton University Quiz Bowl is pleased to announce Princeton High School Academic Tournament (PHSAT) XXIV, which will take place on Saturday, Semptember 26th, 2015 using NAQT IS-158. This is the same set as SWISS I, so teams from the NYC area should strongly consider going there http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=18736. The structure of the tournament will depend on the number of teams that sign-up, but, as in past years, it will almost certainly be some variation on the theme of brackets of round-robin prelims followed by round-robin playoffs and consolation brackets after lunch. We will be using the rules enumerated here (https://www.naqt.com/rules.html) except in that we will not time our matches (they will simply consist of twenty toss-ups) and in that we will skip any computational math questions. Depending on demand, we may split the tournament into competitive and standard divisions, in order to provide a more enjoyable early-season for newer teams. It is entirely at the discretion of coaches to choose which division to request teams be placed in, but please keep the purpose of such a division in mind.

We will open registration at 8 am in McCosh Hall, Room 46 on the Princeton University campus. We hope to start our moderator meeting by 8:45 and the first match by 9:15.

The cost structure will be as follows (please make out all checks to Princeton University Quiz Bowl):
$80 / first team
$60 / every additional team
$50 minimum fee per school

We will also be offering the following discounts:
- $15 / experienced moderator with laptop for the purpose of electronic scorekeeping
- $10/ experienced moderator without laptop
- $5 / buzzer set
Note: Scorekeeping at PHSAT XXIV will be done with spreadsheets on Google Drive. Ideally, a single person will act as both moderator and scorekeeper, but those without laptops will be paired with a Princeton staffer with one. Alternatively, schools can bring both a moderator and a scorekeeper with a computer, which will garner a single "moderator with laptop discount." Scorekeepers will not garner a discount otherwise.

Please bring a check with you on the day of the competition, or mail it to either

Rachel Brill
4054 Frist Campus Center
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544

or

David Ting
2433 Frist Campus Center
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544

If you are interested in participating, please fill out the following registration form:
https://docs.google.com/a/princeton.edu ... w/viewform

We will have an initial field cap of 36 teams, but if we have sufficient interest and staffing capability (the latter is very likely to be the case) we will consider expanding the field. We will also be restricting each school to four teams each. If we still have room as the tournament date approaches, we may consider lifting that cap as well.

It is worth noting that I will have stepped down from the presidency of Princeton University Quiz Bowl by the time the tournament roles around. As soon as we return to campus and select a new officer corps, I will have my successors post their contact information as well. I will still be heavily involved in all aspects of the planning process for PHSAT XXIV, of course, and will still respond to any inquiries regarding the tournament at [email protected].

Field (33 of 36) as of 9/19 (teams/moderators/buzzers):
Mountain Lakes (2/1/1)
Livingston (3/1/2)
East Brunswick (3/2/3)
Henderson (2/2/2)
Lehigh Valley Academy (2/0/1)
"Exton High School" (1/0/1)
Hunter (2/0/2)
St. Joseph's (2/0/1)
High Tech (2/0/4)
MAST (3/1/0)
Ithaca (2/2/1)
"Mather" (3/0/0)
Middlesex County Academy (3/0/2)
Wilmington Charter (2/0/4)
Princeton High School (3/1/0)
Last edited by Majin Buu Roi on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Jason Golfinos
Trinity School '13 (inexplicably in charge, 2011-13)
Princeton '17 (inexplicably in charge, 2015-16)
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Re: PHSAT XXIV at Princeton (9/24/16)

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

The field is currently just over a third of our initial field cap. I'm going to wait for a few more sign-ups to make the call for sure, but as things are trending now, a division split definitely looks feasible.

The tournament's three weeks from today, so sign up soon!
Jason Golfinos
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

That's 3/4 of the field cap now. Also, if you would like to mail a check please send it to either of our treasurers at
Rachel Brill
4054 Frist Campus Center
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544

or

David Ting
2433 Frist Campus Center
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544

This information has been added to the main announcement post as well.
Jason Golfinos
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

That's 5/6 of our field cap! We will also definitely be splitting into competitive and standard divisions, barring any unlikely and bizarre pattern of sign-ups and/or drops that makes such a thing no longer mathematically feasible. At the moment the field for the respective divisions is the following:

Competitive:
Mountain Lakes A
Livingston A
Livingston B*
East Brunswick A
East Brunswick B
Henderson A
Lehigh Valley Academy A
"Exton High School"
St. Joseph's A
St. Joseph's B
Hunter A
Hunter B
High Tech A
Ithaca A
Ithaca B
"Mather" A
"Mather" B
Wilmington Charter A
Wilmington Charter B
Princeton High School A

Standard
Mountain Lakes B
East Brunswick C
Livingston C
Henderson B
High Tech B
MAST A
MAST B
"Mather" C
Middlesex County Academy A
Middlesex County Academy B
Middlesex County Academy C
Princeton High School B
Princeton High School C
Lehigh Valley Academy B

*=School did not give division placement with one hundred percent certainty, and as such were randomly distributed for the maximum degree of logistical ease.
Last edited by Majin Buu Roi on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jason Golfinos
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

Could the coach from Mountain Lakes shoot me a quick email? The email provided on the registration sheet doesn't seem to be working.

More importantly, we've recently selected a new officer corps of co-presidents Amy Tien ([email protected]) and Jared Lockwood ([email protected]) and tournament director Abhiram Karuppur ([email protected]). Treasurers remain the same, and I am still the primary point of contact for this tournament, however, especially in regards to NAQT.

There are still spots open, so if you'd still like to sign up or would like to sign up more teams, feel free.
Jason Golfinos
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

Expect a logistics email from Abhiram as soon as we hear from Parking Services regarding which parking lots we can use (they seem to have forgotten to tell us that even though we are approved to have people park on campus). We can't wait to see you on Saturday.

We still have two spots up for grabs as well, and can absolutely process last-minute registrations.
Jason Golfinos
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

Logistics email forthcoming later today. The email will ask you to do this as well, but please respond to the logistics email with the number of buses your school is taking (if any) to the tournament as soon as possible. Parking services tacked that demand on at the last minute.
Jason Golfinos
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

Congratulations to Hunter A, who won both games of a disadvantaged final against runner-up High Tech A
Jason Golfinos
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

How'd the standard division finish up?
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
amosaad
Kimahri

Post by amosaad »

In the Standard Division, High Tech B finished first and Middlesex County Academy D finished second.
Stats are here - http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/.
Amro Mosaad
Advisor, Middlesex County Academy
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

How did qualification for nationals work? Was there an official PACE certification?
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

The Baking of the English Working Class wrote:How did qualification for nationals work? Was there an official PACE certification?
I submitted our tournament info to PACE, but haven't heard back from them, so I can't really say. Hunter A, High Tech A, Lehigh Valley A, Hunter B, Ithaca A, "Mather" A and Princeton High School A all qualified for HSNCT, incidentally.
Jason Golfinos
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
sdk
Lulu

Post by sdk »

Would teams in the standard division be able to qualify for nationals as well?
Samuel Kao
High Tech '17
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

For HSNCT purposes, all teams in the competitive division are ranked above all teams in the standard division. (So normally the top 15% of the field is only from the highest division.) That being said, we encourage teams with strong performances in lower divisions to play additional tournaments later in the season and if needed send us a wildcard bid when those open up in February.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

jasongg17 wrote:
The Baking of the English Working Class wrote:How did qualification for nationals work? Was there an official PACE certification?
I submitted our tournament info to PACE, but haven't heard back from them, so I can't really say. Hunter A, High Tech A, Lehigh Valley A, Hunter B, Ithaca A, "Mather" A and Princeton High School A all qualified for HSNCT, incidentally.
Hunter B ended up in seventh place (and thus did not qualify for HSNCT, but we would welcome a wildcard bid in February).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

My apologies. My statement that Hunter B qualified was based off of the initial posting on the NAQT website, which clearly had not reordered things from how SQBS spit out the rankings. Sorry to that hard-working squad for my silly error.
Jason Golfinos
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
monty
Lulu

Post by monty »

Princeton High qualified for the HSNCT. On the PACE site it doesn't list Princeton High School as one of the teams that qualified for the PACE NSC, is there a rule difference between the tournaments or just a mistake on their part?

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Montagu James
Princeton High School '18
Princeton University '22
Princeton Quiz Bowl Vice President 2020–2022