Packet Discount Policy for Chicago Open Discussion

Old college threads.
jonah
Auron

Re: Packet Discount Policy for Chicago Open Discussion

Post by jonah »

dhumphreys17 wrote:
Ike wrote:Since you'll all be paying me by Venmo for the tournament
I know I have no real horse in this since this is CO, but whatever happened to "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"?
The Treasury department explains.

Basically, paying for CO isn't a debt, since you can just choose not to pay it (and not play).
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

dhumphreys17 wrote:
I know I have no real horse in this since this is CO, but whatever happened to "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"?
Well, since you'd be paying before the tournament, you're not paying off a debt.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
dhumphreys17
Wakka

Post by dhumphreys17 »

Urech hydantoin synthesis wrote:
dhumphreys17 wrote:
Well, since you'd be paying before the tournament, you're not paying off a debt.
Well there's your solution, anti-Venmo folks. Wait till after CO, establish a debt, then pay it off with cash as legal tender!
Devin James John Humphreys
Sacred Heart Academy High School (MI), Class of 2017 - 2015 HSNCT, 2016 NSC, 2017 NSC
Michigan State University, B.A. Class of 2020
University of Notre Dame, J.D. Class of 2023 - standby 2023 ICT-DII; coach 2023-24
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

dhumphreys17 wrote:
Urech hydantoin synthesis wrote:
dhumphreys17 wrote:
Well there's your solution, anti-Venmo folks. Wait till after CO, establish a debt, then pay it off with cash as legal tender!
uhhh, no.
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

The point of this scheme is to collect money the week before the tournament so that come tournament day, we can get started ASAP, and not spend 30 minutes (1 round!) of time moping around.

I hope you can pay me by Venmo. If you can't, please have your teammate or someone else pay for me. It would be more inconvenient for me if you have to mail me a check, but I'll allow that if you conscientiously object to Venmo on principle. I'm being facetious about Venmo because Luddites loves to complain about it, despite the fact it's just as easy to have someone use it for you.
Ike
UIUC 13
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Between Venmo, having someone else Venmo (i.e. writing a check or paying cash to someone else, which I'm happy to facilitate), and pre-mailing a check, every method of payment except for credit cards should be easily available to anyone who wants to play CO. Hopefully we can put this tedious conversation to rest now.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

gyre and gimble wrote:Let me illustrate with a couple of examples. 1) Of the 6/6 I submitted, I wrote what I thought was a pretty good tossup on Rembrandt's prints that I suspect was cut because the tournament already had a bonus part on Rembrandt and Rembrandt clues in the Poland tossup. I don't know exactly why it was cut but had I been the editor, I would have been fine keeping it in the tournament, as the quality was at least on par with those from my CO Visual Arts set.
Yeah this was a fine tossup that got cut because there was already 1/1 Rembrandt in the set (and, until I changed a tossup or two, too much work on prints/drawings).

Anyway, I personally found last year's submissions to be of a decent enough quality that there doesn't need to be a big change in the status quo, but if Ike wants to do that, go ahead. I dislike any proposal that caps the field by how good your team is or something like that.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

How do people feel Ike's discount policy worked?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger