Earlybird @ UIUC (10/1/16) -NO LONGER A NOVICE-

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TylerV
Wakka

Earlybird @ UIUC (10/1/16) -NO LONGER A NOVICE-

Post by TylerV »

The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Academic Buzzer Team is happy to announce The Earlybird Tournament. The tournament will be held on the campus the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on Saturday, October 1st, 2016. I, Tyler Vaughan, will serve as the tournament director.

The tournament will be using NAQT's IS-156

FORMAT:
The tournament will be a 4-on-4 tournament with each round consisting of 20 tossups and 20 bonuses with tiebreakers used as needed. Bonuses will not bounceback.

The exact schedule of the tournament is based on field size but all teams will be guaranteed 7 games.

COST:
The base registration fee is $65. Teams may receive a $5 discount for each working buzzer set they bring up to $10. If a school fields more than one team every team after the first will cost $55. Should we require staffers from schools they will receive a $10 discount per staffer off of their overall registration.

If a team is going through financial hardship do not hesitate to send me an email and we can work something out.

If you're interested in registering or have any questions about the tournament, please e-mail me, Tyler Vaughan, at tylervaughan1995 at gmail dot com. Please use "Earlybird" in your subject line.

FIELD 16/16 (as of 9.21.16)
Barrington
Bloomington
Carbondale
Centennial
Glenwood (Chatham) x2
Homewood-Flossmoor x2
Naperville North
Sandburg x2
Springfield x2
Streator
University Lab (Urbana) x2
Last edited by TylerV on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Tyler Vaughan
UW-Platteville, Rock Valley, UIUC 2014-2017
Southern New Hampshire University 2020 - ?

"God the automatic cat feeder might be the best invention ever" - Brad McLain
On a lurgid bee
Lulu

Re: Earlybird @ UIUC (10/1/16)

Post by On a lurgid bee »

Is there any particular reason Earlybird has been moved to being a novice tournament? Especially with IHSSBCA Novice two weeks later it seems to me as if the novice hole is mostly full. In addition, the OPRF tournament has been unable to find a good set so far so I'd think that Earlybird should still run its traditional style of tournament. Otherwise, the first tournament varsity players can reasonably compete in is solo and the first team based one isn't until kickoff in mid November. (To be clear, this isn't me wanting to play HSAPQ Novice, I think regardless of whether you open up the tournament to non-novice players I wouldn't play that. I'd prefer it if a suitable set could be found otherwise.)

Edit: This has been explained to me and other options are being explored. I'd like to thank Tyler for being incredibly polite and willing to listen to my criticism!
Matthew Lehmann
Barrington High School '17
UChicago '21
WUSTL '24
TylerV
Wakka

Re: Earlybird @ UIUC (10/1/16) -NO LONGER A NOVICE-

Post by TylerV »

After receiving feedback from several people within the community I had decided that, as with past iterations, Earlybird will be a regular difficulty tournament. This, however, comes at a price. The tournament will be using NAQT's IS-156, a set which was created and played in the last academic year. As a result the following teams are unfortunately not allowed to play the tournament:

Illinois Math and Science Academy
Loyola Academy
Saint Viator
St. Teresa
Argenta-Oreana
Mt. Zion
Decatur MacArthur
Taylorville
Springfield Southeast
Decatur Eisenhower
Sangamon Valley

I apologize for the limiting nature of the set but after a long period of consideration I believe this is the best possible outcome.
Tyler Vaughan

TylerV
Wakka

Re: Earlybird @ UIUC (10/1/16) -NO LONGER A NOVICE-

Post by TylerV »

This tournament has recently been made Gold Certified meaning that the top 2 teams will qualify for PACE NSC in the Spring.

Additionally, I am announcing a field cap of 16 teams and asking that anybody that is interested in the tournament, but has not yet reached out to me, to register as soon as possible.
Tyler Vaughan