East Bay Fall Novice Tournament @ Berkeley (Oct 8)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
disIntegrate
Kimahri

East Bay Fall Novice Tournament @ Berkeley (Oct 8)

Post by disIntegrate »

Hello all,

The UC Berkeley Quiz Bowl club will be hosting a novice quiz bowl tournament on Saturday, October 8th, 2016 at UC Berkeley in Berkeley, CA! The tournament will be run in order to provide an introduction to quiz bowl without any prior experience necessary and to demonstrate what a truly fun activity quiz bowl is! We highly encourage teams from around NorCal to come.

This event is taking place on the same day (using the same set) as the Saint Francis Novice tournament in the South Bay. Teams may compete at either.

The tournament set will be National Academic Quiz Tournaments’ (NAQT) Invitational Series 159-A, which is aimed at teams with little to no experience. Teams will be restricted to at most 6 players, with 4 players playing at any given time and 2 on the bench. Please be aware that the majority of teams will be teams with new players.

Practice questions of approximate difficulty can be found here.

All teams of high schoolers from the same school are eligible to play in this event, although players who have competed at the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, the PACE National Scholastic Championship, or finished t-13 or better at the 2016 NAQT Middle School National Championship Tournament must receive special permission to play from the TD Jeff Hoppes (jeff(dot)hoppes(at)gmail(dot)com).

Tournament Logistics: The tournament will take place at UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA. We recommend teams take public transportation to the tournament (campus is very close to BART).

Room numbers TBD.

We will have registration begin at 8:30AM, will have a brief introduction to quiz bowl for novices, and we hope to begin the first round by 9:00. We project that the tournament will run from 9 until about 4:30pm, with an hour break for lunch at around noon. For lunch, teams can bring food, order food, or go out and get it.

Fees:
base fee: $60 per team
–$30 per team from schools that did not compete at a pyramidal quiz bowl tournament during the 2015-16 school year: “pyramidal quiz bowl” does not encompass other academic/trivia competitions like Science Bowl, History Bowl, or Quiz Kids
–$10 per working buzzer
–$15 per staffer (must stay whole day)
Minimum entry fee: $0 per team
Payment (cash or check) will be taken at registration on Oct 8.

We urge teams attending to bring buzzers and staffers if available. Though we do not expect that teams have played tournaments previously, we will enforce all the gameplay rules as they are written in Sections D-H of the official rules of the Academic Competition Federation, so all players must fully familiarize themselves with these rules before proceeding. Pay special attention to timing, pronunciation, and protest guidelines.

You can find out more about what quiz bowl is here.

Registration: Fill out this registration form no later than Wednesday, October 5.

Questions? Contact TD Jeff Hoppes (jeff(dot)hoppes(at)gmail(dot)com).
James Wang
Eden Prairie High School '14 :: UC Berkeley '18
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: East Bay Fall Novice Tournament @ Berkeley (Oct 8)

Post by Important Bird Area »

Field: (16)

Amador Valley
Berkeley High (2)
Davis (2)
Dublin
Escobar
Fallon Middle
Las Lomas (2)
Leland (2)
Oakland College Prep
Washington (3)

Last updated 10/8 --JTH
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Details for Saturday have been emailed to the registered teams. Check-in is at 9 am in 130 Dwinelle.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Playoff tiers:

Finals

Dublin
Escobar
Davis A
Oakland College Prep

First consolation

Amador Valley
Leland A
Berkeley High B
Leland B

Second consolation

Davis B
Washington B
Fallon
Washington A

Third consolation

Berkeley High A
Las Lomas A
Washington C
Las Lomas B

Individual all-stars:

Ben Skinner (Davis), Kyle Shi (Fallon), Robert Ezra Stern (Berkeley High), Benjamin Zhang (Washington), Ross Parish (Oakland College Prep)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Escobar has the advantage over Davis A in the final.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Congratulations to Escobar, who defeated Davis A 390-210 in the first game of an advantaged final! Oakland College Prep claimed third place; Dublin finished fourth.

Complete stats
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF