ACF Fall @ NIU (high school only) (11/5/16)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

ACF Fall @ NIU (high school only) (11/5/16)

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Hello!

I am pleased to announce the Illinois high school site of ACF Fall 2016, to be held at Northern Illinois University on Saturday, November 5, 2016. ACF Fall is the year's premier introductory-level collegiate quizbowl tournament, making it a premier tournament for advanced high school teams, and we do hope that you join us at this event. As the NIU teams will be playing ACF Fall at Northwestern, I, Brad Fischer, will serve as tournament coordinator, and will be joined by my wife, Kristin Strey, for day-of-event tournament direction. We thank ACF for their generous consideration; this will be the fifth year that NIU has hosted the Illinois-area high school ACF Fall mirror. We also thank Alec Krueger and the NIU QBA for their assistance in providing NIU's fantastic campus for the event.

The tournament will take place in DuSable Hall on NIU's DeKalb campus; this is the usual building for our high school tournaments. Barring unusual circumstances, we'll start registration at 8:30 and kick off Round 1 at 9 AM. Tournament format is dependent on field size but will include pool play and the potential for advantaged finals; we expect to run somewhere between 11 and 13 rounds for all teams.

Registration
Registration for this event has two steps:
First, please write to me at [email protected] with school name, number of teams, and buzzer/staffer information. This allows our site to know that you're attending, so that we can plan our event.
Second, fill out the central ACF Fall registration form at this site with all relevant information. This allows ACF to know that you're attending, so that they can settle entry fees and other logistic requirements.

Both of these steps are required; please do them simultaneously. If you are interested in attending but cannot confirm your registration quite yet, feel free to e-mail me that information and I will unofficially hold a spot for you in the field; however, if the field fills with confirmed registrations before your expressed interest solidifies, I regret that you may not have a spot in the field.

Fees

Base fee: $135
Buzzer: -$5/functional system
Staffers: -$10/staffer
Shorthanded fee (teams of 1 or 2 players): $60

Packet Writing
High school teams do not write packets for ACF Fall.

Payment
Payment for ACF Fall will be processed through ACF treasurer Gautam Kandlikar. He will get in touch with you about how much your team owes, how to pay for the tournament, etc. Please contact Gautam at [email protected] with any questions regarding payment.

Teams that can not afford the entry fee are encouraged to contact Gautam and TD Brad Fischer to discuss possible discounts.

Note Regarding High School Teams
High school teams are no longer allowed to compete in Collegiate ACF Fall events, hence the existence of high school-only sites like ours. In addition to Illinois schools, we welcome schools from outside of Illinois to attend our event.

We are seeking moderator assistance for this event; we can offer moderators breakfast, lunch, and a small honorarium for their help. If you're interested in reading, please let me know.

For more information, refer to the Global Announcement of ACF Fall 2016 or email the editors at [email protected].

We look forward to seeing you in November!
Last edited by Irreligion in Bangladesh on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: ACF Fall @ NIU (high school only) (11/5/16)

Current Field: (15)
Fremd (4)
Stevenson (2)
Auburn
Byron
DCC
Hinsdale Central
IMSA
Metea Valley
Naperville North
Saint Joseph
Waubonsie Valley

Interested:
Saint Joseph B
Last edited by Irreligion in Bangladesh on Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Fee schedule is posted, so here's a thread bump. We're still looking for more teams and would love to have yours join us!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Field's getting nearly full, though with more moderators we could expand further; if you're interested in reading at what is shaping up to be, as usual, one of the best tournaments of the season, please let me know!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

We're going to close the field at 16 teams, and thus have room for one more team at the moment. If you'd like this, please let me know within the next day or so.

An informational e-mail will go out to all coaches and staffers on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Thank you to all who attended NIU's mirror of 2016 ACF Fall! Stevenson A and DCC entered the last round of the playoffs in the classic "both teams undefeated, winner of this game is advantaged in the final" scenario; Stevenson A won that first game to claim the advantage, DCC won finals round 1 to force the deciding last game, then Stevenson finished the tournament with a 415-215 championship victory. Congratulations to both teams on their outstanding performances, and to everyone who came out for a fantastic day of quizbowl.

I'd like to thank Andrew Nadig, Mike Laudermith, Mike Sorice, Kristie Bodak, and Kristin Strey for coming out to staff, and to coaches Ben Dillon, Matt Laird, Dennis Loo, Laura Marsh, and Luke Wigtil for volunteering to read.

Stats are available at the Prelims, Playoffs, and Combined links on the right side of this page.

We hope to see everyone again for Huskie Bowl in January!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)