Missouri 2016-2017

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Missouri 2016-2017

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

The quizbowl season is in full swing in Missouri! So far, one team has emerged as the dominant team this year, while the title of second-best team in the state is wide open for any team to claim.

Here is a list of all announced events throughout the state.

A list of teams that has qualified for each national can be found here.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
bolshevik
Lulu

Re: Missouri 2016-2017

Post by bolshevik »

I'd say Ladue and Hickman are second place contenders. After that, it's kind of a tough call - there are a lot of close teams - but MICDS is definitely up there, as well as Rock Bridge and Helias. After that, I'd say it goes between Orchard Farm and Marquette. Obviously, though, our best team right now is Washington... they seem to be better than last year's Hickman, who happened to place 21st at HSNCT (and Joe put up 110 PPG at the MFAT - fantastic stat line though, 81 powers and 22 tossups). Can't wait to see how these guys hold up in a national field.
Em Powers (they/them)
WUSTL 2023
stitz
Kimahri

Post by stitz »

I think it largely comes down to difficulty. I may be horribly wrong, but it seems on easier question sets MICDS has had the edge and as the difficulty increases, Ladue claims more of the advantage. I have yet to play Hickman this year but I'm pretty sure they lack a literature/fine arts player, I imagine the gap between them and Ladue will widen on a housewrite. As for myself and my teammates, thanks, we are just trying not to explode and neg like 8 times in a game. Or as none other than Raj Paul puts it, "Stitzian levels of negs".
Joe Stitz
Washington High, 2017
Mizzou
bolshevik
Lulu

Post by bolshevik »

stitz wrote:I think it largely comes down to difficulty. I may be horribly wrong, but it seems on easier question sets MICDS has had the edge and as the difficulty increases, Ladue claims more of the advantage. I have yet to play Hickman this year but I'm pretty sure they lack a literature/fine arts player, I imagine the gap between them and Ladue will widen on a housewrite. As for myself and my teammates, thanks, we are just trying not to explode and neg like 8 times in a game. Or as none other than Raj Paul puts it, "Stitzian levels of negs".
Yeah, our team can relate to that somewhat: my friend (and returning player who got booted off the team last year) Caleb seems to be pretty knowledgeable on higher difficulty answerlines, and not so much on novice sets. Of course, we'll have to see if that comes through later in the season.
Em Powers (they/them)
WUSTL 2023
rpaul48
Lulu

Post by rpaul48 »

stitz wrote:as none other than Raj Paul puts it, "Stitzian levels of negs".
I have never spoken these words in my life, and I would never say anything suggestive towards the legendary Joe Stitz. Joe is very smart and he has excellent buzzer speed. Joe is (one of) the best quizbowl player(s) ever! :kenj: :kenj: :kenj: As for Ladue, aside from our gaping holes in literature, science, history, art, and mixed academic, we seem to be pretty well rounded! I think it might help if we started paying attention on bonuses and waited to be recognized before giving our answers(which are wrong anyway), but I'm not sure if even this will help. I think we do better on higher difficulty sets because we get more questions right, but again, I'm not sure.
Raj Paul
Ladue Horton Watkins '19
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Missouri is the first state to have its results in for my player poll. Voter participation was lower than I would've liked (i.e. only 4 people responded), but here's the list they came up with.
1) Washington A (4 adjusted votes)
2) Ladue A (2.723 adjusted votes)
3) MICDS (2.475 adjusted votes)
4) Hickman A (1.45 adjusted votes)
5) Helias A (1.439 adjusted votes)
6) Washington B (1.082 adjusted votes)
7) Hallsville A (1.002 adjusted votes)
8) Rock Bridge A (0.777 adjusted votes)
9) Louisiana (0.516 adjusted votes)
10) Marquette A (0.257 adjusted votes)
Also receiving votes: St. Joseph Central, Eureka A
Methodology was the same as the Illinois Player Poll done about a month ago; details are in IL thread.
Electors: Joe Stitz (Washington), Ben Husting (Helias), Nathan Kempf (Rock Bridge), Michael Powers (Louisiana)
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal