ACRONYM X at the 2017 HSNCT

Old college threads.
InvadErGII
Rikku

ACRONYM X at the 2017 HSNCT

Post by InvadErGII »

Play Quiz Bowl LLC is pleased to announce that a mirror of ACRONYM X will be held as a part of the 2017 HSNCT weekend. The tournament will take place on Sunday, May 28th, after the main tournament has concluded. This will be somewhat similar to the event that was held last year, with a couple of exceptions - in particular, the tournament will be split into two divisions: high school, for all-HS teams (including chimera teams composed entirely of HS students), and an "open" division for teams composed of staffers, coaches, etc. High school teams are welcome to register for the open division if they wish. Additionally, we will be aiming for a slightly earlier start than last year (somewhere around 5:30), so that things wrap up a bit earlier and teams can take a quick meal break at a more reasonable time.

Registration for this tournament is open here. You can view the current field here. Registration requires some sort of team and affiliation on the NAQT website, but you are free to make up an ad-hoc school/association for this purpose.

Fees will be as follows:

Base fee: $90 per team
$10 discount per working buzzer system
$20 discount per moderator
Maximum total discount: $30

Each division will be capped at 24 teams (for now).

This'll need a handful of staffers, of course, and if you'd like to do that (and get paid $20 to do so), you can sign up here.

Want to throw your name out as a free agent or find a team to join? Just use this spreadsheet.

The exact schedule/format will be finalized as we get closer to the event, but teams in both divisions will play an absolute minimum of six games.
Erik Nelson
Director, Minnesota High School Quiz Bowl
President, Play Quiz Bowl LLC
www.bouncebackfoundation.org
The Favourite
Wakka

Re: ACRONYM X at the 2017 HSNCT

Post by The Favourite »

I just found out that my normal team will be without Peter and Finn since they are studying abroad this summer. This creates a major void in television, trash lit (mostly comics), and video games. If you can fill that void and want to play this tournament, feel free to shoot me a message.
Tracey Hickman
Rock Creek 12
Redlands 14
Central Oklahoma 16
Coach, Murray State College (OK)
Former Coach, Coalgate Schools (OK)
Curriculum Director, Oklahoma Quizbowl Camps
Silverman
Lulu

Post by Silverman »

Andrew Nadig, Aakash Patel, and I are looking for a fourth teammate. We're lacking in post-1990 music (especially rap) and video games, and can always use more TV/movies knowledge. PM me if you're interested and can help with those categories.

Edit: Aakash can no longer attend, so Andrew and I are looking for two teammates now, especially TV/movies and comics in addition to the above.
Last edited by Silverman on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steven Silverman
Unionville High School '13
Carnegie Mellon University '17
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I'm a free agent for this. I know sports and some music (mostly rock with a smattering of rap, jazz, and pop). Looking to have fun, meet new people, and win games, in that order.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Colby Burnett
Lulu

Post by Colby Burnett »

Defending champs here are looking for a free agent following some withdrawals. Please contact me if you want in.
It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man. ~Jack Handey

Fenwick High School (player) 1997-2001
Northwestern 2001-2005
Fenwick High School (Coach) 2011 - 2017
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Also related to this tournament - at this moment, there is ONE spot left in the open division. This may or may not be expanded, so if you want to play please sign up now!

Additionally, if you want to staff this, please let me know in the spreadsheet from the OP. We need a bunch of you still.
Erik Nelson
Silverman
Lulu

Post by Silverman »

Silverman wrote:Andrew Nadig, Aakash Patel, and I are looking for a fourth teammate. We're lacking in post-1990 music (especially rap) and video games, and can always use more TV/movies knowledge. PM me if you're interested and can help with those categories.

Edit: Aakash can no longer attend, so Andrew and I are looking for two teammates now, especially TV/movies and comics in addition to the above.
Still looking for two teammates for this! Everyone is welcome :smile:
Steven Silverman
sonstige
Wakka

Post by sonstige »

Silverman wrote:
Silverman wrote:Andrew Nadig, Aakash Patel, and I are looking for a fourth teammate. We're lacking in post-1990 music (especially rap) and video games, and can always use more TV/movies knowledge. PM me if you're interested and can help with those categories.

Hey Steven --- my team has 5 people on it...let me see, but I may be able to shift someone your way if you're still needing people. I should know later this evening (5/15).
Travis Vitello
University of Florida '08
The Ohio State University '14
University of Virginia '21
Georgia Tech '26 (anticipated)
ex-Writer, NAQT
Silverman
Lulu

Post by Silverman »

Silverman wrote:

We've joined up with Ryan Fedewa and Justin Millman of Stevenson, so this team is now full.
Steven Silverman
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Hey! Monday is the last day to register a team for this. Really looking forward to next weekend.
Erik Nelson
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Registration for this is technically closed, but I have three spots in the high school division that I'd very much like to fill - if you'd like to play in the HS-only division on Sunday night, drop me a line!
Erik Nelson
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Drew Scheeler, Matt Hayes and I are looking for a 4th (and somewhat trash-competent) teammate to play with us tomorrow night since our 4th decided not to make the trip. If you're interested, shoot me an email at bk31883 <at> gmail.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
Amethyst
Lulu

Post by Amethyst »

Is there still an open spot in the open division?
Amith Punyala
Chattahoochee High School 2011-2015
Cornell University 2015-2019
WUSTL 2021-2029 (bruh)
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Thanks to Erik Nelson and his Play Quiz Bowl writing team for a really great set, and all the readers who stuck around. Good times were had.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

This was a lot of fun to read to the high school teams.

Are there results somewhere? I had to leave to catch a bus, and didn't see any results.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Complete stats for ACRONYM X are here.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred