The Second Summer Open?

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

The Second Summer Open?

Post by Cheynem »

So I figured it's probably best to discuss this in a more organized fashion, seeing as how I see like a million threads where people promise side events that will be complete "for the second summer open." The points to discuss are:

1. Is there a second summer open? Is anyone planning on writing or editing a general summer open tournament?

2. If not, are we doing another weekend of side events type thing like last year? If so, we should probably get to work compiling a list of the potential events.

3. I guess each site can figure out what if any events they wish to play.

4. If the weekend is overloaded, is there the possibility of a...gasp third summer open? (assuredly more regional and probably more niche)

Having attended a "weekend of side events" thing last year and done some planning for it, I will note the following things:

-generally speaking, events go fairly quickly, especially if they are tossup-only or shootouts. Some events by necessity have to become shootouts if you wish to play a large quantity of them.
-the challenge for logistics is more difficult with a lot of small events as opposed to one big one (at least in my opinion) because the staff constantly shifts. Having someone who can be like a set TD (even for one day, and then pass off to someone else) would be great.
-nobody is going to be 100% happy and there will be people who are unable to play every event.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
RexSueciae
Tidus

Re: The Second Summer Open?

Post by RexSueciae »

If somebody wants to write / edit a whole question set to the tune of the former VCU Open (good luck), the easiest source of questions seems to be Oxford's or Cambridge's sets. Since they're both complete, it might actually be easier to Americanize them by amalgamating them, which would allow for sufficient American / non-British content to be compiled, as well as generous leeway for editors on the other categories.

I am interested in contributing packets for most side events, especially fun ones from last year. I am interested in playing anything but have no interest in writing or editing an actual "summer open" event.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

If someone wants to slap a packet-sub tournament together, I'd happily contribute to a packet for it. I would recommend allowing full/half packet distinctions, so that people/teams who don't know certain subjects aren't forced to write for them if they contribute.

Alternatively, I'd love to play an NAQT-style open set, ideally one tuned up in difficulty a little (but anything is good).
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I would be all for another all-side-event monstrosity, though I also wouldn't mind an Americanized Cambridge Open.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

The all side event monstrosity was one of the best things to happen to QB. I'm looking forward to play Max's (JL's) food tournament.
Ike
UIUC 13
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

If there's a packet-sub open and it's played in the Northeast, me and some friends would probably be able to write a packet for it and play.

I'd also love to play a British set (presumably Americanized to some degree).

A side event weekend would be cool, but it would also be nice to have a real tournament to play over the summer (although I understand that that would require a lot of work, and I would definitely play a side event tournament if I could make it). Maybe have some "real set" on Saturday and then some side events Saturday night / Sunday, like the Michigan TTIAC weekend.

Of course, this is all speculation and depends on people's willingness to host and/or write packets. That's my two cents, though.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Count me in as another vote for Side Event-Palooza: I had a lot more fun getting a taste of a bunch of different sets than having to sit through another regular old academic tournament.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Sigurd
Lulu

Post by Sigurd »

A packet sub open would be very popular in Canada [And no, I'm not talking about VETO]...
Isaac Thiessen
Martingrove CI 2015
Waterloo 2020
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:I would be all for another all-side-event monstrosity, though I also wouldn't mind an Americanized Cambridge Open.
The Top Percentage of Rattatas wrote:Count me in as another vote for Side Event-Palooza: I had a lot more fun getting a taste of a bunch of different sets than having to sit through another regular old academic tournament.
I'm going to third that. People seem interested in both writing and playing niche side events.
Cheynem wrote:the challenge for logistics is more difficult with a lot of small events as opposed to one big one (at least in my opinion) because the staff constantly shifts. Having someone who can be like a set TD (even for one day, and then pass off to someone else) would be great.
Yes, definitely, especially since prowess in writing interesting questions in your particular field does not translate to prowess at competently and confidently running an event (which requires skills like protest resolution).
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

I just spoke with the infrastructure and building people of MSU and they said we could host an event after our finals are over in May. I was thinking of hosting a side event Saturday or weekend on May 20/21. Alternatively, it could be on May 13. Please PM if you are willing to attend. We can run OAT, Cambridge Open, hip hop event, Math Monstrosity, FLOREAT, whatever people let us run or there is interest in, but I need to have enough interested teams or people that we don't lose money on the rooms.

I think it would be cool to have a Midwest May quizbowl weekend, and I'm happy to do TD each event, but I just need some numbers. I also would like to play a couple of events though this desire is secondary.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

[I can't read calendars, please delete]
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

For a long time now, I've been meaning to get together a singles tournament of speedcheck-plus-length questions (as in: A real singles tournament, rather than speedcheck shootot; you play head-to-head games like normal, but with teams of one). I'd consider trying to get it together for a side event weekend if one materialized (certainly endorse Michigan again as one site).
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

DumbJaques wrote:For a long time now, I've been meaning to get together a singles tournament of speedcheck-plus-length questions (as in: A real singles tournament, rather than speedcheck shootot; you play head-to-head games like normal, but with teams of one). I'd consider trying to get it together for a side event weekend if one materialized (certainly endorse Michigan again as one site).
This seems very staff and resource (i.e. room) intensive, but it sounds like a cool idea. What type of field cap were you looking at here?
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

It'd be cool to have something like last year where we played a bunch of side events in early August.

I'd also very much be interested in playing some sort of packet-submission "main event" of sorts. Maybe we could do something similar to TTIAC where it was side events Saturday evening and all day Sunday? We could also run something the Friday before.
Michael Etzkorn
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy '16
UIUC '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

List of Potential Events

Full Tournaments
*Cambridge Open
*NASAT (could have been mirrored earlier)

Side Events That Would Have Already Been Played
*It's Lit (CO)
*Joao (myth, played at HSNCT)
*Jordaens Visual Arts (CO)
*Math Monstrosity (various places)
*Naveed Bork (stuff Will Alston likes, probably at CO)

Side Events That Are New
*GEODUCK (geography)
*MASSOLIT (literature)
*The Modern Age (lit/art)
*Nash Memorial (science--is this happening?)
*OCTAVIAN (classics)
*Thought Monstrosity
*Tricon (misc. crap, guerrilla)

Trash Full Tournaments
*Super ACRONYM

Trash Side Events
*The Celebs Are At It Again (Eliza trash)
*Chuck Berry Memorial (rock)
*First One Hunna Days (election 2016 stuff)
*FLOREAT (film, played somewhere previously)
*Let's Remember Some Guys (sports)
*PACENSC (Pokemon, probably at HSNCT)
*There Will Be Stock Clues (food)
*Fight the Power (hip-hop, probably at HSNCT)

I don't know if there are other events; post them if there are (I'm especially ignorant on potential trash side events).

I think each site can determine what they would like to do. My instinct would be to pack as many of the unplayed side events as possible...I'm inclined to push for Super ACRONYM being the "Sunday tournament."
Last edited by Cheynem on Fri May 05, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

Jesus Christ, we're overflowing with these things. It would be nice to have a version of this somewhere in the LA Basin; I might even look into doing so out of my own neck of the woods.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14