2017 Division II ICT: specific question discussion

Old college threads.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2017 Division II ICT: specific question discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

This is your discussion thread for specific questions from the 2017 Division II ICT.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
AGoodMan
Rikku

Re: 2017 Division II ICT: specific question discussion

Post by AGoodMan »

Can I see the Great Northern War, Colchis, Transfiguration, and Crimean War tossups?
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
setophaga
Lulu

Post by setophaga »

Could I see the tossups on Bartok, muons, and Kazakhstan, and the bonus on saxophones?
Sameer Apte
Carnegie Mellon '19
New England Conservatory '21
Stony Brook '25
Important Bird Area

2017 DII ICT round 9 wrote:This war was ended by a treaty that called for two million thalers to be paid to the signatory that ceded Ingermanland. Both sides in this war claimed victory in its naval Battle of Grengam. One commander in this war was killed while leading a siege of Fredriksten. This war ended by the Treaty of (*) Nystad included the death of King Charles XII. For 10 points—name this 18th-century war between Russia and Sweden.

answer: Great Northern War (accept Second Northern War; prompt on "Northern War")
2017 DII ICT round 13 wrote:This land's princess Chalciope married a son of Athamas and Nephele who fled to this land to avoid being sacrificed by his stepmother Ino. Like Cadmus at Thebes, a hero who came to this land created a group of Spartoi by sowing dragon's teeth. A magic (*) ram brought Phrixus to this land ruled by king Aeetes. For 10 points—name this land from which Jason and the Argonauts took the Golden Fleece.
2017 DII ICT round 9 wrote:In both Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox traditions, a feast on August 6 marks this event. After this event in the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus notes that John the Baptist was not recognized as an Old Testament prophet. Peter suggests erecting three tabernacles during this event on Mount (*) Tabor—one each for Jesus, Moses, and Elijah. For 10 points—name this event in which Jesus speaks with God and becomes radiant.

answer: transfiguration of Jesus (or transfiguration of Christ; accept answers such as Jesus being transfigured or transfiguring or forms of the word transfigure; accept Feast of the Transfiguration; do not accept or prompt on putative synonyms)
2017 DII ICT round 13 wrote:The last survivor of this war is often cited to be a 160-year-old tortoise named "Timothy," who had served as a ship's mascot. During this war, Roger Fenton produced a possibly-staged photograph of a road covered in cannonballs. The (*) Victoria Cross was introduced during this war, which ended after the siege of Sevastopol. For 10 points—what 1850s war between Britain and Russia included the charge of the Light Brigade?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

2017 DII ICT round 6 wrote:The finale of one work by this composer begins with an octave leap upward and a downward arpeggiation through a G major 7th chord by the horns. The second movement of that work by this man opens with a side drum solo and is titled "A (*) Game of Pairs." He wrote an opera in which the title character's new bride Judith opens seven doors. For 10 points—name this composer of a Concerto for Orchestra and Bluebeard's Castle.
2017 DII ICT round 13 wrote:These particles were confirmed to exhibit time dilation by the Rossi-Hall experiment, which tracked them in the atmosphere. On Earth, they are usually observed as decay products of cosmic rays. In the Standard Model, these particles are second-generation charged (*) leptons. Pions often decay into—for 10 points—what short-lived subatomic particles named for the Greek letter that also symbolizes the prefix "micro"?

answer: muon(s) (accept mu lepton; do not accept or prompt on "mu meson")
2017 DII ICT round 10 wrote:A kurgan grave in this country's town of Issyk contains the remains of either a Scythian warrior or princess, adorned by thousands of gold ornaments. In this country, the Ili River flows into a lake that is half freshwater and half saltwater, Lake Balkhash. Its president (*) Nursultan Nazarbayev moved its capital from Almaty to Astana. For 10 points—name this largest of Central Asia's former Soviet republics.
2017 DII ICT round 1 wrote:This instrument is the soloist in Takashi Yoshimatsu's Cyber Bird Concerto. For 10 points each—

A. Name this instrument, the only woodwind instrument for which Alexander Glazunov wrote a concerto.

answer: (alto) saxophone

B. This composer used an alto saxophone in his music for the ballet Job: A Masque for Dancing, and a tenor saxophone in his Sixth Symphony.

answer: Ralph Vaughan Williams (prompt on partial last name)

C. This John Adams opera, which prominently features a saxophone quartet, depicts the title figure's meeting with Mao Zedong.

answer: Nixon in China
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

setophaga
Lulu

Post by setophaga »

Important Bird Area wrote:
2017 DII ICT round 6 wrote:The finale of one work by this composer begins with an octave leap upward and a downward arpeggiation through a G major 7th chord by the horns. The second movement of that work by this man opens with a side drum solo and is titled "A (*) Game of Pairs." He wrote an opera in which the title character's new bride Judith opens seven doors. For 10 points—name this composer of a Concerto for Orchestra and Bluebeard's Castle.
Thanks. I'm aware this might be a result of truncating a D1 question, but there are a couple of inaccuracies in the lead in that make figuring this out before power awkward and nearly impossible unless you take your chance on "side drum solo". First of all, the finale to Concerto for Orchestra begins with an octave leap in the horns, as the question suggests, but the downward arpeggiation, while marked as G major in the horns, is in fact in C major in concert pitch (as the horns are in F). Furthermore, a G-major 7th chord implies that it would be in root position, whereas here the chord is actually in second inversion. Thus, you would get X-X F# D B G instead of the written F-F E C B G (or C-C B G F# D) in horn pitch, which is quite different, in addition to being quite difficult to parse.
Sameer Apte
Carnegie Mellon '19
New England Conservatory '21
Stony Brook '25
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Can I see the Cummings toss-up in like round 15? It felt like it cliffed pretty hard from my end.

Also, the Hell in No Exit toss-up seemed extremely neg-baity. "Place" and "Play" sound very similar, and I negged thinking I heard the latter.
Michael Etzkorn
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy '16
UIUC '21
Wartortullian
Rikku

Post by Wartortullian »

Does anyone else feel that time dilation was a bit of an easy lead-in on the muon tossup? It triggered a huge buzzer-race in our room.
Matt
Important Bird Area

John Ketzkorn wrote:Can I see the Cummings toss-up in like round 15? It felt like it cliffed pretty hard from my end.

Also, the Hell in No Exit toss-up seemed extremely neg-baity. "Place" and "Play" sound very similar, and I negged thinking I heard the latter.
2017 DII ICT round 15 wrote:This poet advised "Harun Omar" and "Master Hafiz" to "keep your dead beautiful ladies" in his poem "Puella Mea." Another of his poems inserts the parenthetical phrase "a leaf falls" between the first and second (*) letters of the word "loneliness." He wrote "and noone stooped to kiss his face" in a poem that ends "sun moon stars rain." For 10 points—name this author of "anyone lived in a pretty how town," who often eschewed punctuation.
We've changed the text of the No Exit question to read "this location" so as to prevent this particular minus-five at future events.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Quinctilius Varus
Wakka

Post by Quinctilius Varus »

Would you mind posting the tossups on Hofstadter and m.a.a.d? I'm curious to see where the first one went after Godel, Escher, Bach was dropped at the beginning of the second sentence, and I wanted to see where power ended on the latter. Thanks for a great set!
William Golden
University of Texas at Austin '22
Important Bird Area

2017 DII ICT round 15 wrote:A non-fiction author with this surname compared the works of a Baroque composer to a Dutch artist who made tessellations. This surname is shared by that author of Godel, Escher, Bach and a Caltech physicist who regrets his middle name of (*) "Leakey" and is played on TV by Johnny Galecki. For 10 points—give this surname shared by cognitive scientist Douglas and The Big Bang Theory protagonist Leonard.
2017 DII ICT round 9 wrote:This term derives from an artist's avoidance of drugs after a bad PCP experience. A song that proclaims "I am a sinner who's probably gonna sin again" appears on an album whose title includes this (*) acronym; this acronym also appears in the title of a song that opens "if Pirus and Crips all got along." "Money Trees" is on an album titled after—for 10 points—what kind of "city," which Kendrick Lamar contrasted with a "good kid"?

answer: m.A.A.d. ["mad"] (accept Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

cyclohexane
Lulu

Post by cyclohexane »

Is there a reason why in the Div II version of the tossup on m.a.a.d., the word acronym is out of power but in the div I version acronym is still in power? I think acronym should be in power for both. In the div II version, there is almost no initial indication what the tossup is looking for, since it uses the phrase "an artist (vs. its artist in DI)" in a tossup about Kendrick Lamar, and the tossup also indicates that it isn't looking for an album title. The first time it seems obvious, at least to me, that the tossup wanted the specific answer of m.A.A.D. was on the word acronym, which is out of power. This is speculation, but I assume that the people who actually powered this in DII didn't say the answerline (m.A.A.d), but instead said "good kid, m.A.A.d city."

Also, could I see the tossup on Olmstead?
Alex Newman
Montgomery Blair High School Class of '16
Washington University in St. Louis '20
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

cyclohexane wrote:Is there a reason why in the Div II version of the tossup on m.a.a.d., the word acronym is out of power but in the div I version acronym is still in power? I think acronym should be in power for both. In the div II version, there is almost no initial indication what the tossup is looking for, since it uses the phrase "an artist (vs. its artist in DI)" in a tossup about Kendrick Lamar, and the tossup also indicates that it isn't looking for an album title. The first time it seems obvious, at least to me, that the tossup wanted the specific answer of m.A.A.D. was on the word acronym, which is out of power. This is speculation, but I assume that the people who actually powered this in DII didn't say the answerline (m.A.A.d), but instead said "good kid, m.A.A.d city."

Also, could I see the tossup on Olmstead?
Powermarks get added during set editing, which occurs after the D1 questions are converted to D2 and subject edited. In rare cases, you can get situations like this where the D1 and D2 set editors have different philosophies as to how to powermark the question/approach what pronoun to use/etc. I didn't edit this question (I pretty much just looked at science, with a few exceptions), but I would surmise that the reason the D2 version doesn't give as much indication to what it's looking for is the D2 character limit is stricter than the D1 character limit, and the subject and set editors who looked at the question thought that the initial phrase "this term" would be sufficient and wanted to stuff in as many substantive clues as possible.
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT
The Story of a Head That Fell Off
Lulu

Post by The Story of a Head That Fell Off »

The music in this set is great, both the trash and non-trash variety. Kudos on the Kendrick Lamar and David Bowie tossups, even though I agree that the DII tossup on "m.a.a.d" is hard to power because "acronym" is out of power - I instantly recognized the lyrics, but wasn't sure what the question was asking for until the word acronym came up. (the word "autumnal" in the rain tossup messed me up a bit but the other team got it at that word so I suppose it's more of my own issue)

Can I see the answer distribution for the non-visual and non-music fine arts? (so, performance and any)

Highly enjoyed playing this set, thank you to the writers and editors!
Jeremy "JJ" Tsai
Rutgers 2016-2019 (President 2018-2019)
"Maryland" 2019-2021
Charm Bison
Wakka

Post by Charm Bison »

Can I see the trash questions on auctions, assassinations and Archer?
Sam Brochin
Hunter College High School 2012—2018, Pitt 2019—who knows
2016/2017 HSNCT National Champion
"sam brochin take me the **** to waffle house" — Max Shatan
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

Can I also see tossups on Henry II, honey, Colfax, and Philoctetes?
Jon Suh
Harvard '20
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

touchpack wrote:
cyclohexane wrote:Is there a reason why in the Div II version of the tossup on m.a.a.d., the word acronym is out of power but in the div I version acronym is still in power?
Powermarks get added during set editing, which occurs after the D1 questions are converted to D2 and subject edited. In rare cases, you can get situations like this where the D1 and D2 set editors have different philosophies as to how to powermark the question/approach what pronoun to use/etc. I didn't edit this question (I pretty much just looked at science, with a few exceptions), but I would surmise that the reason the D2 version doesn't give as much indication to what it's looking for is the D2 character limit is stricter than the D1 character limit, and the subject and set editors who looked at the question thought that the initial phrase "this term" would be sufficient and wanted to stuff in as many substantive clues as possible.
I'll add onto this, since I was the one who actually powermarked the question. Billy is absolutely correct in explaining the process for powermarking (and is also right to point out that the D2 character limit is 425 as opposed to the D1 limit of 500, so editors often have to be very economical in their conversions). I didn't make any substantial changes to this questions as a set editor vs. how it came to me from the subject editor, but in my mind the first drop of the word "acronym" made this question significantly easier--enough so that I felt the power mark should come before it. If this caused any frustration due to the difference from the D1 version, I apologize.
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
Wartortullian
Rikku

Post by Wartortullian »

Could I see the bonuses on graph theory and parallel computing?
Matt
Important Bird Area

2017 DII ICT round 12 wrote:After one of these events on a Frasier episode, the title character found himself babysitting the daughter of a model. A mistakenly timed shout at one of these events led to Buster's relationship with Lucille (*) Austero on Arrested Development. Andy offers to adopt twelve dogs on an episode of The Office in which Dwight spends $34,000 at one of these. For 10 points—what events involve the phrase "going once, going twice"?

answer: auctions (accept charity auctions)
2017 DII ICT round 3 wrote:A film about one of these events, in which Jean-Louis Trintignant investigates a truck incident, was directed by Costa-Gavras. One of these events at the Space Needle opens the film The Parallax View. Kevin Costner starred as district attorney Jim Garrison in an (*) Oliver Stone film about one of these events. The Manchurian Candidate concerns an attempt to commit—for 10 points—what crime, the subject of Z and JFK?

answer: political assassinations (accept answers involving the word assassinate or attempted assassination; accept murders or equivalents indicating that a political figure has been killed; do not accept or prompt on "presidential assassination" or equivalents)
2017 DII ICT round 14 wrote:In a flashback in the episode "Once Bitten," this person appears on another character's sixth birthday, bearing a gift of a stuffed alligator. For 10 points each—

A. Name this TV character, who may have been a young Italian with "thick black hair" killed by Savio Mascalzoni. A description is acceptable.

answer: Sterling Archer's father (accept answers that mention both Sterling (Malory) Archer and the notion of a dad or male parent)

B. Sterling Archer is voiced by H. Jon Benjamin, who also voices the main character on this Fox series about the Belcher family that is set in the title eatery.

answer: Bob's Burgers

C. This actress, who voices Louise Belcher on Bob's Burgers, plays Phil Miller's love interest Carol on the Fox sitcom The Last Man on Earth.

answer: Kristen (Joy) Schaal
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

2017 DII ICT round 7 wrote:The appeals of Diarmait Mac Murchada prompted this king's invasion of Ireland. This king's overseas holdings were targeted in the Great Revolt, which was partly led by his eldest son, who was known as "the Young King." This king took the throne at the end of the (*) Anarchy with help from his mother, Empress Matilda. Eleanor of Aquitaine married—for 10 points—what English king who ordered the death of Thomas \`a Becket?
2017 DII ICT round 14 wrote:Creatures who produced this substance lent their name to a Cretan god who was the father of Ida and Adrasteia. An ant passed a piece of string through a seashell after some of this material was placed near a hole in the shell by Daedalus. The Meliae were nymphs who gave the infant Zeus this (*) sweet foodstuff. Aristaeus kept insects that made wax and this substance. For 10 points—name this fluid produced by bees.

answer: honey [The Cretan god is Melisseus, or "bee-man."]
2017 DII ICT round 5 wrote:An Indiana congressman with this surname was nicknamed "Smiler" and wrote a book about a trip with William Bross. The Supreme Court's Cruikshank decision arose from an 1873 riot of this name in which black militiamen were massacred. A vice president of this surname was (*) implicated in the Credit Mobilier scandal. For 10 points—give the surname of a man named Schuyler, who was Ulysses Grant's first vice president.

answer: Colfax (accept Colfax massacre or Colfax riot or Schuyler Colfax (Jr.))
2017 DII ICT round 3 wrote:One account says that this hero was injured when he stepped into the shrine of the nymph Chryse; this son of Poeas was cured by Podalirius. In a Sophocles play, Neoptolemus and Odysseus visit this man since they need a set of (*) weapons he acquired after he lit a pyre on Mount Oeta. A bow and poisoned arrows passed to—for 10 points—what friend of Heracles who spent ten years on Lemnos after being bit by a snake?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

2017 DII ICT round 13 wrote:CUDA is a framework for crunching numbers using a specialized processing unit. For 10 points each—

A. As such, it belongs to the GPGPU paradigm for doing "general purpose" computing on this kind of processing unit.

answer: graphical processing unit (accept graphics processing unit; accept General-Purpose Computing on Graphics Processing Units; accept graphics; prompt on "GPU"; prompt on "video card(s)")

B. GPGPU computing relies on one form of this general technique of executing several instructions or handling several pieces of data simultaneously.

answer: (data) parallel computing (do not accept or prompt on "concurrent (programming)" or "pipelining" or "multithreading" or "hyperthreading" or "multitasking")

C. CPUs and GPUs both employ this technique in which one instruction is executed while the next is being decoded and the next one after that is being fetched.

answer: (instruction) pipelining (accept instruction pipeline)
2017 DII ICT round 9 wrote:The complexity class APX contains problems that can be approximately solved in polynomial time. For 10 points each—

A. This problem is normally NP-complete, but if the graph's weights satisfy the triangle inequality this problem is in APX. This problem seeks the shortest path that visits each vertex of a weighted graph.

answer: traveling salesman problem (accept metric traveling salesman problem; prompt on "TSP" or answers containing "Hamilton(ian) path")

B. APX also contains this problem that asks for the smallest set of vertices so that every edge of a graph is incident on at least one vertex.

answer: minimum vertex cover(ing) problem (or minimum node cover(ing) problem)

C. Another APX-complete problem seeks the smallest set of vertices with this property. This term also refers to probability events that do not affect each other.

answer: (maximum or maximal) independent set or independence (accept stable set or stability)
2017 DII ICT round 12 wrote:For 10 points each—answer these questions about the graph denoted K3,3:

A. K3,3 is called a "complete" graph of this type, meaning that its vertices can be partitioned into two sets such that no two vertices in the same set are connected by an edge.

answer: complete bipartite graph (accept bigraph or biclique)

B. In K3,3, this quantity is three for each vertex. It shares its name with the maximum power to which any individual term is raised in a polynomial.

answer: degree

C. Every finite and nonplanar graph must have either K3,3 or this other graph as a minor.

answer: K5 (accept the complete graph with five vertices)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

Can I see the golden bowl/Mainz bonus cycle?
Jon Suh
Harvard '20
Important Bird Area

2017 DII ICT round 5 wrote:Henry VI attempted to eliminate this process with his Erbreichsplan. For 10 points each—

A. Identify this process governed for centuries by rules set down in 1356 that gave votes to the Margrave of Brandenburg and Archbishop of Cologne.

answer: election of the Holy Roman Emperor (accept similar answers that mention the Holy Roman Emperor and a form of electing; prompt on "voting for the Holy Roman Emperor" or similar answers that don't mention "electing"; do not accept or prompt on "Imperial Diet"; do not accept or prompt on answers like "choosing a successor to the Holy Roman Emperor"; do not accept or prompt on answers that mention "Germany" or "Roman Emperor" or "Habsburg")

B. The 1356 document setting forth the election rules was known by this name, as it was sealed by the emperor with a precious metal.

answer: Golden Bull

C. Another of the electors who chose the Holy Roman Emperor was the archbishop of this Rhineland city, the birthplace of Johannes Gutenberg.

answer: Mainz
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF