Eisenhower Memorial Tournament (EMT) at UChicago – 5/13/17

Old college threads.
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Eisenhower Memorial Tournament (EMT) at UChicago – 5/13/17

Post by Aaron's Rod »

The University of Chicago will mirror the Eisenhower Memorial Tournament on Saturday, May 13th. I, Alex Damisch, am directing this tournament, in collaboration with the University of Chicago's quizbowl team.

EMT is a regular-minus undergraduate question set; you can read more about the questions (including the distribution) here. That means that graduate students are not eligible to play this tournament, but high schoolers are.

The tournament will be held in Harper Memorial Library at the University of Chicago (Google Maps link). Please arrive by 8:30 AM.

Parking is available on Woodlawn by 57th street and on 57th street itself, 59th street, and the Midway Plaisance; parking is usually not an issue on a Saturday morning. 57th, 59th, etc. all run east-west and are usually free; the north-south streets south of 57th are paid parking. There is also a paid parking lot, but it's pretty far north and you shouldn't need it. If you check the street signs when you park, you should be fine.

Registration
The tentative field cap is at 16 teams. Please register by May 6th (a week in advance). You can register by emailing me at [redacted after tournament]. Please see Jason's post later on in this thread. Please include the name and cell phone number of a day-of contact, the number of teams you’re bringing, and the number of buzzers and staffers you’re bringing.

Fees
College base fee: $120
High school base fee: $100
Travel discount: -$10 for 200 miles traveled each way
Buzzer discount: -$5 per working buzzer system (at least 4 players on each side)
Staffer discount: -$10 per staffer (subject to my approval). All staffers should bring a working laptop that can open Word and PDF documents and a charger, and will be provided pizza lunch.
Last edited by Aaron's Rod on Wed May 03, 2017 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Aaron's Rod

Re: Eisenhower Memorial Tournament (EMT) at UChicago – 5/13/

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Field
House (~2)
Alex D.
ACF

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Because of the late date of the tournament, the number of area teams (including UChicago) that have attended other EMT mirrors, and UChicago's desire to field house teams conflicting with potential IL high school teams, this mirror can't run as-is. I've sent out emails to >100 different contacts, both high school and collegiate, without much luck. If you're interested in coming, please contact me by the end of the week, otherwise Chicago and I have agreed that it would be best to cancel the mirror.
Alex D.
ACF

Emperor Pupienus
Wakka

Post by Emperor Pupienus »

A couple of other teams have now contacted me expressing interest, so this is still on for the time being. I'm now TDing this, so please direct all future inquiries about this tournament to me at [email protected]

Field (8)
Chicago (4)
Knox (3)
UIUC (1)
Last edited by Emperor Pupienus on Wed May 10, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Z.
Nichols School '14
University of Chicago '18

Food or not food?
Emperor Pupienus
Wakka

All teams should have received a logistics email by now; please contact me immediately if that is not the case.
Jason Z.
Nichols School '14

Food or not food?
Emperor Pupienus
Wakka

Jason Z.
Nichols School '14

Food or not food?
Emperor Pupienus
Wakka

Congrats to Chicago B (Olivia Kiser, Federico Scivittaro, and Francesco Scivittaro) for defeating Chicago A (Marianna Zhang, Athena Kern, and Adam Black) in a one game final 325-235 to win our mirror of EMT!!

Thanks to everyone who came out to our tournament, my co-TD, Samir Khan, and our amazing staffers today!!
Last edited by Emperor Pupienus on Sun May 14, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Z.
Nichols School '14

Food or not food?
Emperor Pupienus
Wakka

Full statistics are now up here
Jason Z.
Nichols School '14