Side Event: Math Monstrosity

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
CPiGuy
Auron

Side Event: Math Monstrosity

Post by CPiGuy »

Hello,

I will be running a tossups-only math side event at HSNCT. The full announcement is here, but I wanted to post in this forum so that people who didn't look at the college forums could see it.

The event is completely open, so staffers, coaches, players, and even parents are all welcome to play!
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
CPiGuy
Auron

Re: Side Event: Math Monstrosity

Post by CPiGuy »

An update on HSNCT Math Monstrosity:

So, given the current signup numbers, it is likely that there will be either ten or twelve teams.
If there are ten teams, then we will do either a full round-robin or two brackets of five with Randomly Assigned Crossovers (TM) which will then break into 3-2, with the 3 playing only crossovers and the 2 playing everybody.
If there are twelve teams, we will do two brackets of six and then either break to either 2-2-2 or 3-3 with crossovers only.
Regardless of field size, there will be an advantaged final unless (a) a team clears the field by two games or (b) a team has a one-game advantage and all teams in contention agree not to play a final for whatever reason. If there is some number of teams other than 10 or 12 (due to a staff shortage necessitating bye teams to staff or a large influx of signups) then I will provide an update.

If you are planning on playing, please sign up so I have an idea of how many people are playing. Everyone who is on the free agent list and comes to play will be able to play, but if you want to play, please sign up as a free agent (and conversely, if you are no longer planning on playing, please remove your name from the free agents list).

After the proper tournament, I will read the unread packets as a shootout for everyone who wishes to stay.

I could also still use more moderators; if you have already played the tournament or just want to help out, it will be greatly appreciated.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

This will take place on the International level, so meet there after competition has finished tomorrow, preferably between 7:30 and 7:45.

I would still like more moderators. If I do not get more moderators, bye teams will be needed to moderate, which while definitely feasible is decidedly non-optimal. So, please moderate. It will be very appreciated.

Also, there is definitely still space for at least one more team or set of two people to play.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

OK. Field is temporarily closed at 15 teams. If I can wrangle two more moderators, one more team could play.

Format will be two preliminary groups of seven or eight playing a round robin, breaking to 2-2-2-2 playing crossovers only. Bye teams in the bracket of seven may be asked to read in the bracket of eight.

So, if you have no other plans for tonight, please consider moderating. (Also, if you can only moderate for the first hour, that would still be okay -- I may be in need of an extra moderator for the first hour).

Also, the "control room", where everyone should meet me tonight, will be International 1. Meet there at your earliest convenience.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

So, we're in International 1. If you are playing, or staffing, or spectating (read as: getting roped in to staff), please come to international 1.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

This happened.

Power Set (Jake Sundberg and Harrison Brown) won with a massive 177 PPG, and Harrison Brown was top scorer with 113 of those. For more, see these staaaaaaaaaats.

Huge thanks to everyone who helped out with the tournament. Additionally, of course, thanks to the players as well -- this was fantastic fun.

Also, after the tournament a shoot-out was held on packets 10-12 and tiebreaks (72 questions). Stats are as follows:

Harrison Brown 19/2/9: 260
Jake Sundberg 9/4/9: 130
Ramapriya Rangaraju 6/5/4: 120
Neelav Dutta 9/2/11: 100
Jon Pinyan 4/5/2: 100
Matt Mitchell 3/2/3: 50
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

A private forum is now up for Math Monstrosity, so you can discuss and give feedback on the set.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16