Michigan NASAT Mirror?

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

Michigan NASAT Mirror?

Post by Cheynem »

This idea was floated to me as something that could happen (probably in early July, before CO), either at Michigan or Michigan State. I would be happy to direct the tournament if locations could be found--I imagine we wouldn't need a ton of rooms and the tournament would be relatively informal, followed by whatever side events people hadn't played and aren't being played at Second Summer Open. Depending on the number of people, fees could be pretty cheap too. Is there any interest in this, especially beyond Michigan?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Beast Mode
Lulu

Re: Michigan NASAT Mirror?

Post by Beast Mode »

I'm interested (though I'll be out of town the weekend of July 1), and a few other Wolverines told me they're interested as well. I'm sure UM can supply one team's worth of people, and I'd like to think we could get to two.

If this happens at UM, we'd have to squat rooms in Mason Hall because we can't reserve rooms during the summer. We routinely do this for our August opens, so I don't see it being a problem. I also wouldn't at all mind driving up to MSU.

My vote would be to run NASAT and Cambridge Open, along with side events like FLOREAT and MASSOLIT that I expect a good number of people will have already played by the time side event weekend rolls around (which is why I left them off my proposed schedule for UM's mirror), but which to me seem sensible for a small event like this.

EDIT: I'd also be up for this weekend being an "overflow" slot for events that can't fit into UM's side event weekend, as Mike Cheyne suggests in that thread.

I'd staff MASSOLIT, but would like to play everything else. I'd staff them if needed, though, and maybe team/staffer numbers will require us to have teams reading on byes anyway.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
formerly of Michigan and Columbia
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I could do this if it were July 15-16 (or potentially just July 9th).
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

I'll try to see if there are rooms we can squat in at MSU or come very cheaply because we have the opportunity to reserve rooms during the summer. I think running both NASAT and CamO would be cool as I would have heard NASAT by then, and I'd like to play CamO. I think MSU would be able to form at least one team for both events.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
kammajos000
Lulu

Post by kammajos000 »

Depending on when this happens, Wayzata would probably be interested in sending a team.
Joe Kammann
Wayzata '18
Minnesota '22
nsb2
Lulu

Post by nsb2 »

I will already have played NASAT, but would probably be interested in playing Cambridge Open and the other side events.
Pranav Sivakumar
Barrington Station MS '13, Barrington High School --> IMSA '17
UC Berkeley '21
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

I'll be playing NASAT at the Virginia mirror, but as long as this was held before August I would definitely show up to play Cambridge Open.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Is there any update on if this is happening/when it might be?
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I've heard talks this may be on the weekend of the 15th (of July), but I'll let Harris obviously weigh in.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Cheynem wrote:I've heard talks this may be on the weekend of the 15th (of July), but I'll let Harris obviously weigh in.
Just got off the phone with someone who works on campus events. Because this event would take place on a weekend, the rooms will cost money. Would people be okay paying for these rooms fees? I'd project around 150 dollars per day so if we have six teams, each team would end up with 25 dollars in room fees. This is only an example and I want to keep costs as low as possible for players. The costs would only be mirror fee + rooms + staff lunch. I'm going to get the 5 rooms for Saturday and Sunday unless somebody feels strongly against this idea.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Assuming nobody objects, can we get an official tournament announcement up by the end of the week?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Cheynem wrote:Assuming nobody objects, can we get an official tournament announcement up by the end of the week?
Once I get the room confirmation. I put a submission in for rooms for Saturday the 15th of July and Sunday 16th of July. If I don't hear anything by Friday, I will still put up an announcement with what events we will run and a spreadsheet for team formation. I would recommend interested people start putting together their teams now.

Edit: Instead of me putting up an announcement, please email me with your team members and your team name for NASAT on Saturday the 15th. I will put up the announcement soon as I get room confirmations, but I have not gotten this yet. Costs will also be posted then, but people have indicated they're okay paying a small fee for the rooms and staff lunch. I am tentatively putting a 8 team cap on both days events and I don't anticipate we will go over that.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Bumping this in case people didn't see Harris' update.

Should we also register for Camo? I can staff NASAT (although I may be slightly late on Saturday, depending on when we start), and I hope to play everything else.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Could we get a team formation spreadsheet? Hard to form teams if I don't know who is going
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

heterodyne wrote:Could we get a team formation spreadsheet? Hard to form teams if I don't know who is going
Here you go:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I will add additional events as I get approval to run them. If we decided to run another tournament such as CamO or whatever, would anyone be interested in TDing that event? I'd like to play at least one thing and compensation can be offered.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I am hoping that even if just a shootout format, MASSOLIT and/or FLOREAT can be played. I'd play Cambridge Open on Sunday as well if there's staff/rooms.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

nsb2
Lulu

Post by nsb2 »

I might be jumping the gun a little bit (since there's no confirmation on other side events yet), but what would be the planned start time on Sunday?
Pranav Sivakumar
Barrington Station MS '13, Barrington High School --> IMSA '17
UC Berkeley '21
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

nsb2 wrote:I might be jumping the gun a little bit (since there's no confirmation on other side events yet), but what would be the planned start time on Sunday?
This would depend entirely on what other events we run. I'd say 8:30 is the earliest we'd start on Sunday.

Edit: Looks like we can run CamO on Sunday. In this case, we will start at 8:30 but I need a TD for this tournament. PM or email me ASAP if you'd like to help out.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired