Quiz bowl scholarships

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
tiwonge
Yuna

Quiz bowl scholarships

Post by tiwonge »

I had a mother ask me today if there were any quiz bowl scholarships available.

The only one I am aware of is the Morgan Costa-Rhodes scholarship offered by PACE (http://www.pace-nsc.org/the-morgan-cost ... holarship/) for graduating high school seniors. Are there others? Are there any colleges or universities that might offer any? (Do any state organizations offer any? I know that this student wouldn't be eligible, but I don't know if this is a thing that is done.)
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
bretthogan43
Lulu

Re: Quiz bowl scholarships

Post by bretthogan43 »

Most all community colleges in the state of Alabama offer scholarships for quizbowl.
Brett Hogan
former player, Wallace State Community College
Athens State University alumni
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I think Berry College offered one for awhile.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

To quote Joe Nutter:
I'll take this opportunity to point out that Michigan State also offers a scholarship ranging up to full tuition+room and board+annual stipend for doing well on a test they offer which basically consists entirely of quizbowl knowledge, covering all categories and closely aligning with a standard high school canon. Quizbowlers should definitely take advantage of all the opportunities they can find to turn their knowledge and skills into great opportunities like these.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

1.82 wrote:To quote Joe Nutter:
I'll take this opportunity to point out that Michigan State also offers a scholarship ranging up to full tuition+room and board+annual stipend for doing well on a test they offer which basically consists entirely of quizbowl knowledge, covering all categories and closely aligning with a standard high school canon. Quizbowlers should definitely take advantage of all the opportunities they can find to turn their knowledge and skills into great opportunities like these.
I said this last year, but if you have a question about MSU or the Academic Distinguished Scholarship competition or test, please contact me. I will put you in contact with people who can give you more information and I can share my test experience. This is a great scholarship offer and we have several quizbowlers on our team who have had the fortune of taking advantage of it.

It is also possible that this season we partner with the Honors College to have them recommend students in quiz bowl for Honors College admission. Currently, they seek out and recommend students in debate and quizbowl might be "soft recruited" in this same manner.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

Progcon wrote:
1.82 wrote:To quote Joe Nutter:
I said this last year, but if you have a question about MSU or the Academic Distinguished Scholarship competition or test, please contact me. I will put you in contact with people who can give you more information and I can share my test experience. This is a great scholarship offer and we have several quizbowlers on our team who have had the fortune of taking advantage of it.

It is also possible that this season we partner with the Honors College to have them recommend students in quiz bowl for Honors College admission. Currently, they seek out and recommend students in debate and quizbowl might be "soft recruited" in this same manner.
Her son is a sophomore (rising junior) in high school, so it's probably at least a year away. But I have let her know, and if she's interested later, I can have her contact you then.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams