2017 HSNCT discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AGoodMan
Rikku

Re: 2017 HSNCT discussion

Post by AGoodMan »

Where was the power mark on the Crete tossup?
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

Sorry to double post, but if I listened to the podcast correctly, the Hebrews bonus in Round 4 says that it is a Pauline epistle? My understanding is that the authorship of Hebrews is generally considered to be unknown.
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

AGoodMan wrote:Where was the power mark on the Crete tossup?
2017 HSNCT round 2 wrote:One king of this realm, who was killed on Rhodes by his son Althaemenes when he was mistaken for a pirate, was Catreus. Invaders of this realm were warded off by boulders thrown by a bronze automaton. While trying to escape from this (*) island, a boy died when the wax on his wings melted. An intricate structure on this island was built by Daedalus to house the Minotaur. For 10 points—what island contained the Labyrinth?
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

AGoodMan wrote:Sorry to double post, but if I listened to the podcast correctly, the Hebrews bonus in Round 4 says that it is a Pauline epistle? My understanding is that the authorship of Hebrews is generally considered to be unknown.
This was indeed a mistake, and I have updated the text of the question in our records.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
dni
Lulu

Post by dni »

Late but, can I see the tossups on Debye and Hamiltonian?

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Dan Ni
Langley '19
Cornell '23
Important Bird Area

2017 HSNCT round 21 wrote:This scientist integrated over a continuous spectrum of phonon modes up to his namesake cutoff frequency, finding a temperature-cubed dependence that improved upon the Einstein and Dulong-Petit models of specific heat. A quantity named for this man has units of (*) statcoulomb-centimeters and measures a system's separation of charges. For 10 points—what Dutch physicist gave his name to a unit of electric dipole moment?
2017 HSNCT round 18 wrote:The presence of one of these constructs can be determined using Fleischner's theorem. The problem of finding these constructs was introduced in their namesake's Icosian game in 1857, and is NP-complete. A closed (*) knight's tour is an example of this kind of thing, and the traveling salesman problem seeks the shortest possible example of one. For 10 points—name these "cycles" on a graph that visit each vertex.

answer: Hamiltonian cycles (or Hamiltonian circuits; accept just Hamiltonian after "cycles"; do not accept or prompt on answers that use "path" or "walk" in place of "cycle" or "circuit"; do not accept or prompt on answers containing "Euler" or "Eulerian")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF