Harvard Fall Tournament (HFT) XII is Available for Mirrors

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jiholius
Lulu

Harvard Fall Tournament (HFT) XII is Available for Mirrors

Post by jiholius »

Hello everyone!

As the new president of the Harvard Quiz Bowl team, it is my pleasure to announce our 12th edition of the Harvard Fall Tournament set, HFT XII. The set will be available for mirrors from 11/11/17 to 5/20/18 (the Sunday before the 2018 HSNCT). President Emeritus Raynor Kuang (aka UlyssesInvictus) has generously offered to be head editor of HFT XII, and the set will be written by myself, Erik Owen, Roger Jin, and the rest of the Harvard team, with additional contributions from alumni Robert Chu and Sriram Pendyala. We are currently writing the set by ourselves, but are open to the possibility of working with collaborators.

Set Details

HFT XII will consist of 15 power-marked rounds: 13 regular difficulty rounds, and 2 harder difficulty rounds intended for finals. The vast majority of tossups will be 5-6 line of 10 point Times New Roman font before bolding to mark power. A tiebreaker tossup and bonus question from the Big Three (literature/science/history) will be provided with each round, in addition to emergency backup questions.

The distribution is unchanged from last year, and is the following:

4/4 Literature (1/1 American, 1/1 European, 1/1 British, 1/1 World/Ancient/Miscellaneous)
4/4 Science (1/1 Biology, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Physics, 1/1 Math/CS/Earth Science/Astronomy/Other)
4/4 History (1/1 American, 1/1 World, 2/2 European/British/Ancient)
3/3 Fine Arts (1/1 Painting/Sculpture, 1/1 Classical Music, 1/1 Other Arts)
1/1 Social Science/Philosophy
1/1 Religion
1/1 Mythology
1/1 Geography/Modern World
1/1 Popular Culture

Like previous years, we will tweak some of the subdistributions to emphasize certain topics appropriate for high school, while de-emphasizing others that are less appropriate for high school. Popular culture questions will also aim to be more culturally relevant and less "trashy".

Mirrors

We welcome any and all mirror requests! The mirror fee will be $15 per non-host team present at the mirror site, and can potentially be negotiated for special considerations like very low/high attendance, etc. This negotiability is completely at our discretion and is in no way set in stone. If there is more than one mirror request for the same geographical region, mirrors will be awarded based on attendance size, quality/consistency of program, and first-come first-serve (not in any particular order).

If you are interested in mirroring HFT XII or have any questions about it, please contact me at [email protected]. I'll try my best to reply to emails with all possible haste, and will make regular updates to mirror sites in a separate post below. At the end of the mirror period (currently 5/20/18), we will upload the set, hopefully in time for teams to use as practice material for the 2018 HSNCT.

Final Comments

HFT XII will be the third HFT I'm involved with, and I'm very excited to write (mainly science) questions and help Raynor edit the set. Both HFT X and HFT XI were very well-received by players, and very few sets get as far as a 12th iteration. HFT XI was mirrored all over the country last year, and we're aiming to generate the same (if not more) interest with HFT XII. Our highly experienced editorial and writing staff this year will ensure that the set will continue to be innovative and of the highest caliber quality. Finally, I'd like to reiterate that we appreciate any questions or comments regarding anything about HFT XII -- we're here to work with you and your tournament! Just shoot me an email and we'll get the ball rolling.
Jiho (Jason) Park
Harvard 2014-2018
University High School (Irvine) 2012-2014
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Re: Harvard Fall Tournament (HFT) XII is Available for Mirro

Post by 1.82 »

jiholius wrote:HFT XII will consist of 15 power-marked rounds: 13 regular difficulty rounds, and 2 harder difficulty rounds intended for finals.
I am curious as to why the finals rounds are more difficult.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
The Squamous Homarid
Lulu

Post by The Squamous Homarid »

Can we have a private discussion forum created for this set, please?
Waley He
Team Captain, Charter School of Wilmington '19
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

Now that the first two mirrors of this set have concluded, mods, can we please get a private forum for set discussion?
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

AGoodMan wrote:Now that the first two mirrors of this set have concluded, mods, can we please get a private forum for set discussion?
The private forum has been created. For those who are not familiar with them, go to User Control Panel -> Usergroups -> Select "2017 Harvard Fall Discussion" -> Click "Submit". Once your request is approved, you will be able to access the discussion forum.
Jon Suh
Harvard '20
dablasian
Lulu

Post by dablasian »

Is the mirror at Southside HS, SC sometime in the spring still planned to take place?
Adithyan Sujithkumar
Oak Ridge '18
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

HFT has been posted to the packet archives. Thank you to everyone who mirrored this year. Barring any emergencies, the set will return next year as well.
Jon Suh
Harvard '20
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

AGoodMan wrote:HFT has been posted to the packet archives. Thank you to everyone who mirrored this year. Barring any emergencies, the set will return next year as well.
[credits stinger]

ᴊᴏɴ sᴜʜ ᴡɪʟʟ ʀᴇᴛᴜʀɴ ɪɴ ʜғᴛ xɪɪɪ

[fin]
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM