Rube Goldberg XV at MSU (1/27/18)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Rube Goldberg XV at MSU (1/27/18)

Post by Ciorwrong »

The MSU Academic Competition Club is pleased to announce its fifteenth Rube Goldberg Memorial Tournament will take place on January 27, 2018.

We are running NAQT IS-170 with no comp math tossups and will be using NAQT rules (https://naqt.com/rules.html ) . Rounds will be not be timed. Teams will hear at least 10 rounds with the exact number of rounds dependent on the amount of teams. I will be TDing this event. I will try to start rounds promptly at 8:45. Please try to be on time and call or email me if you are going to be late. No shows and teams that show up late without forewarning ruin the tournament for other teams.

We have an intial 24 team field cap due to staffer constraints. At first, schools are limited to two teams per school (ie. an A team and a B team). If interest is high and we can find staffers, we will expand the field. Please tell us if you want to bring more than two teams so we can put the C team, etc. on the waitlist. Staffers are appreciated and will get free lunch and gas reimbursement if they volunteer.Teams are to note that one team consists of 4 players. We do not want teams of 6+ players because that makes stats more complicated than necessary, and prevents players from being at the buzzer. Please register 2 teams if you want to bring one team with 7+ players. If cost is an issue, we can probably work something out.

This tournament will likely be held in Berkey Hall near Grand River. This is the same place we have held our previous high school tournaments. Parking and food options are available on Grand River and near the Olin Health Center.

Payment Structure:
$75 - First team
$65 - Second team from a school and on
-$20 - New to quizbowl (no teams from your school have attended a pyramidal quizbowl tournament in the last two years-- let us know if you qualify for this)
-$10 - WORKING buzzer system (If the system is broken, we will revoke this discount. Additionally, if your school said they were bringing a buzzer and didn't, we will ask for the discount back.)
-$10 - Travel over 100 miles one way, as determined by Google maps
-$20 - Experienced moderator (Let us know you are bringing a staffer ahead of time)
-$5 – Paying for the tournament the day of in cash. Please tell us ahead of time if you plan to pay in cash.
Minimum fee per team: $30

Please pay us by cash or check made out to “MSU Academic Competition Club” on January 27th. Please let us know if your team needs an the teams invoices the day of the tournament. Please notify us if your team plans to pay after the tournament or is planning on mailing a check. I will give you an appropriate address.

Register by emailing [email protected] and please indicate how many teams, buzzers and staffers your school is planning to bring. We are very excited to host this annual tournament January 27 in East Lansing.

EDIT: Additionally, we thankfully have been awarded Platinum status from PACE so that means the top 25% of our field will qualify for the PACE NSC in DC this Spring.

We have expanded the field to 30 teams. I don't anticipate expanding the field again unless I can find some more staff. (Jan 14)
Last edited by Ciorwrong on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Woody
Lulu

Re: Rube Goldberg XV at MSU (1/27/18)

Post by Woody »

"Teams are to note that one team consists of 4 players."

...so no alternates allowed at all?
Jimmy Dunn
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl 2004-2009
Michigan State University 2009-2013
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl Coach 2017-present
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

JayLv99 wrote:"Teams are to note that one team consists of 4 players."

...so no alternates allowed at all?
No, but thanks for making me clarify this. Subs are allowed, but I want to discourage teams of greater than 6 players. We have had teams at our tournaments that have had teams of 8 players which is really annoying to deal with as a staffer, and I would encourage those teams to just register another team so that all the players can play all the games. If cost is an issue, email me.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

What are the estimates for times (start, lunch, end)?
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

tksaleija wrote:What are the estimates for times (start, lunch, end)?
I plan to start the tournament at 8:45 assuming teams are there on time. I can't tell you when lunch is because I don't have a schedule made. Likewise, I can only offer an estimate of when the tournament will end. I'd expect, with 6 prelim rounds, lunch to occur before 1 in the afternoon and with 5 playoff rounds, the tournament to end before 5 assuming there is no final. This is probably on the long side of any reasonable estimate and I'd venture most of our high school tournaments are shorter than this.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Current Field (January 14th):

Schools Teams Buzzers
Fulton 1 1
Dewitt 1 1
Okemos 2 2
Hillsdale 1 1
Detroit Country Day 2 2
Troy 2 0
Plymouth 2 2
Divine Child 3 0
DCC 4 2
Holt 1 1
Monroe County Middle College 1 0
Grosse Pointe North 2 1
Notre Dame A 1 1
UAIS 2 2
Waverly 1 0
Huron 2 2
Bloomfield Hills 2 0
TOTAL 30 19
Last edited by Ciorwrong on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

Will there be comp math tossups or bonuses?
Aleija Rodriguez
MCMC/MCCC 2019
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

Is there an updated field for this? The edit on the op says it was bumped to 28 (or possibly 32) to bring people off the wait list but the field posted on 12/1 still only has 24.
Aleija Rodriguez
MCMC/MCCC 2019
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

DCC A won this tournament in a one game advantaged final against Detroit Country Day A. It was a great tournament and I think it went really well. Stats will go up tomorrow. Great job to all teams and players that attended. 10 games before 4:30 is pretty quick, but I'd like feedback as well.

Special thanks to people like Conor Thompson, Bobby Dorigo Jones and Aaron Walters for coming out to staff and help out!
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Stats are up. Please note that these are combined stats so the standings are not accurate. I'd urge teams to tell me in the next week if they see an error in the stats especially if it's a mispelled name or something serious. Thanks again to all the teams that came out. I'd say this was a great event!
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired