2018 ACF Regionals @ Penn State (1/20/18)

Old college threads.
Victor Prieto
Auron

2018 ACF Regionals @ Penn State (1/20/18)

Post by Victor Prieto »

Hello,

Penn State Quiz Bowl will be hosting 2018 ACF Regionals on January 20th, 2018. I will be serving as tournament director.

Packet Submission
Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament (either as a college student or as a high school student) prior to September 1, 2016 is required to submit a half-packet. House teams from host schools, as well as teams composed of people who have not played regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournaments prior to September 1, 2016, are not required to submit a half-packet, but may choose to do so by the no penalty deadline (December 10th), for a -$50 discount. More information about the set and packet submission deadlines can be found here.

Registration
Registration for this tournament requires two steps: filling out the official ACF registration form, and emailing me at [email protected] with the number of teams/buzzers/staff you intend to bring. The initial field cap for this tournament is 16 teams, with the limiting factor being staff. Registration will close on Tuesday, January 16th.

Payment
Payment for ACF Fall will be processed through the ACF Treasurer, Gautam Kandlikar. He will get in touch with you about how much your team owes, how to pay for the tournament, etc. Please contact Gautam at [email protected] with any questions regarding payment.

Base fee: $135
Buzzer: -$5/functional system
Staffers: -$40/staffer
Shorthanded fee (teams of 1 or 2 players): $60
New to quizbowl discount: -$100

Logistics
The tournament will take place in the Willard Building, exact rooms TBD. There is free parking available at the building. The opening meeting for the tournament will start at 8:45 am, with rounds slated to begin promptly at 9 am (this start time will be strictly adhered to).

This is Penn State's first time hosting a college tournament in a long time, although we've successfully hosted several high school tournaments in the past couple years. We're committed to running a high-quality tournament, and we hope you will attend!
Last edited by Victor Prieto on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)
Victor Prieto
Auron

Re: 2018 ACF Regionals @ Penn State (1/20/18)

Post by Victor Prieto »

Field (21/21)

Carnegie Mellon A (UG)
Carnegie Mellon B (UG)
Carnegie Mellon C (D2)
Case Western
Delaware (D2)
Gettysburg (UG)
Johns Hopkins A
Johns Hopkins B
Johns Hopkins C
Kenyon (UG)
Penn A
Penn B (UG)
Penn C (D2)
Penn State A (house)
Penn State B (house)
Princeton
Rochester (UG)
Rutgers A (UG)
Rutgers B (D2)
Villanova (UG)
Youngstown State (UG)

Waitlist (0)

Buzzers (13)

Carnegie Mellon (2)
Case Western (1)
Delaware (2)
Gettysburg (1)
Kenyon (1)
Johns Hopkins (3)
Penn (1)
Rochester (2)

Staffers (1)

Youngstown State

Updated January 14th
Last edited by Victor Prieto on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:42 am, edited 24 times in total.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Hello,

We've had 14 teams register, which leaves only 2 spots open under our initial field cap of 16. We're looking for additional moderators to help out at the tournament. If you are interested in reading that weekend, please email me. If you are interested but do not have a way to get to the tournament, also please contact me, as we will try to organize transportation with another team (or you can just contact that team directly if you know them). We've also modified our staffing discount - for capable readers, we will offer a -$40 discount. The scorekeeper discount will remain at -$10.

EDIT: The initial field cap is now full.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Thank you to everyone who came to Penn State yesterday! I would like to congratulate Penn A for winning the first game of an advantaged final against Johns Hopkins A, after going undefeated in the field. As the only D2 team in the top bracket, Delaware won the D2 title outright, and then also won the UG title in an advantaged final against Carnegie Mellon A.

The last round of this tournament ended, finally, at 6:15. I apologize to all teams for the tournament running late, I had allotted 37 minutes per round, but we ended up running at about 41 minutes per round. I take responsibility for round 1 starting between 9:05 and 9:15 AM, I discovered that Google automatically resets spreadsheets to "view only" if you click on "copy shareable link," which was rather unexpected. I'll also take responsibility for a lousy job at seeding in the lower brackets, my apologies to teams who feel that they didn't finish as well as they should have.

Thank you to all the staffers who came out, especially Will Alston, Jordan Brownstein, Zack While, and many scorekeepers and one moderator (Lily Zhang) from State College HS. I'd also like to thank Ophir Lifshitz for developing the scorekeeping system, which was actually extremely helpful in the later parts of the day for organizing information. I think that the automatic calculations input into the scoresheets, easy organization and retrieval (you can lose paper but not electronic scoresheets), and the progress tracker offset some early technical glitches and the training everyone had to go through. I'm really looking forward to seeing detailed stats like this on such a big scale!

I've corrected some aesthetic errors and a mislabeling of Delaware as UG from the prelim stats that were uploaded yesterday, the updated version of which can be found here. Combined stats will be uploaded very soon. In the meantime, detailed final standings without stats can be seen at this link, and the basics have been reproduced below:

1 Penn A
2 Johns Hopkins A
3 Johns Hopkins B
4 Delaware (D2)
5 Carnegie Mellon A (UG)
6 Penn B (UG)
7 Rutgers A (UG)
8 Gettysburg (UG)
9 Princeton
10 Villanova (UG)
11 Rochester (UG)
12 Kenyon (UG)
13 Penn C (D2)
13 Carnegie Mellon C (D2)
15 Rutgers B (D2)
15 Case Western
17 Johns Hopkins C
18 Penn State A (UG)
18 Penn State B (D2)
20 Carnegie Mellon B (UG)
20 Youngstown State (UG)
Last edited by Victor Prieto on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Hobbie Klivian
Lulu

Post by Hobbie Klivian »

I just wanted to say that this was an extremely well-run tournament despite being Penn State's first time hosting a college tournament in a while. A huge kudos and thanks to the folks at Penn State for hosting an excellent tournament, and I hope they will continue to host more events in the future.
Paul Lee

Dunlap '15
Penn '19
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Thanks Paul!

Combined stats
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE