Sic Semper Trashis II @ (Bristol) Virginia High School

Old college threads.
alextabor95
Lulu

Sic Semper Trashis II @ (Bristol) Virginia High School

Post by alextabor95 »

This is the official announcement and invitation for registration for the Southwest Virginia Academic Team Alliance (SWATA) trash tournament fundraiser, Sic Semper Trashis II, which will be held at Virginia High School in Bristol, Virginia on April 7th, 2018

This will be a mirror of Bob Kilner’s Ohio Trash tournament, and will serve as an end-of-year gathering and celebration, open to all high schools and trash enthusiasts across the Southeast (and beyond). Secondarily, it will serve as a money-making endeavor to support our Southwest Virginia teams preparing for trips to HSNCT and SSNCT

Last year’s tournament director Dr. Chuck Pearson of Tusculum College has generously handed over the reigns to me to prepare this year’s tournament, but he will certainly still play a large part on tournament day – either through playing, or by spreading good cheer and shenanigans

LOGISTICS
Our host school again is my alma mater, Virginia High School in Bristol, Virginia. The school is located approximately 5 minutes off Interstate 81’s Exit 3 or Exit 5, depending on whether you are coming from the north or south. The school is located at 1200 Long Crescent Drive, Bristol, VA 24201

Our game plan is to start registration at 7:45 AM and hold a general meeting at 8:30, with a 9:00 AM start time.

There will be a high school only division as well as an open/college division. If you are a high school student, you are permitted to compete in the open division, but be aware that here be dragons.

Also, returning for its second iteration is the Jeremy Alexander Tabor Memorial Music Challenge, a song recognition game hosted by yours truly. The preliminary round will take place between registration and the first match, with the Top 10 scorers taking up buzzers during awards to decide the champion (so, don’t take off too soon after the last matches!)

For those not interested in the music game, Gate City's Dylan Cox will be reading a religion/mythology packet in the library at the same time

Lastly, there are no trophies. There will be prizes. Prizes will be (a) cheap and (b) trashy.

FEES
All fees can be negotiated to an extent, with two tenets in mind:
(A) Particularly for high schools, we want players to be able to play and not have money be an obstacle
(B) This is a fundraiser for our students. If you are able to pay full price, pay full price. If you feel led to toss some extra coins in the coffer, the funds are going straight to SWVA schools playing nationals
With those principles in mind, this is our proposed fee structure:

High School Teams:
$50 for first team from a high school
$45 for each additional team from same high school
$15 per free agent from a Virginia high school
-$10 discount *per school* (not per team) for any Virginia high school that played a SWATA Saturday tournament (SMI at Honaker, LMIT at Gate City, BEARCAT at Virginia High, or Bulldog at Tazewell) this season
-$10 discount *per school* that has not played a non-VHSL tournament in the past 5 years

Open/College Teams:
$80 per team
$25 per free agent

Discounts:
-$10 for staff supplied
-$5 for buzzers supplied

Open/College team minimum: $60, no HS team minimum

CONTACT
Your tournament director is Alex Tabor, assisted/advised by Chuck Pearson and other SWATA executives and members. Contact Tabor through Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/j.alex.tabor) or by email at [email protected]

Host contacts are Ms. Carol Propst ([email protected]) and Mr. Noah Ashbrook ([email protected])

REGISTRATION
Can be found here: https://goo.gl/forms/04FVGq902iXoDto52

DISCLAIMER
Some information is subject to change, if changes occur, they will be posted on this thread

And, as Pearson likes to say, all decisions of the tournament director are arbitrary, capricious, and final.
Last edited by alextabor95 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alex Tabor
Virginia High School (Bristol, VA) '13
East Tennessee State University (BS) '19
Western Governors University (MBA) '26
Former HSAPQ Freelance Writer
Southwest Virginia Academic Team Alliance Co-Founder, Chairman Emeritus
Appalachian American living in Houston
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Re: Sic Semper Trashis II @ (Bristol) Virginia High School

Post by ShorterPearson »

Also, returning for its second iteration is the Jeremy Alexander Tabor Memorial Music Challenge, a song recognition game hosted by yours truly.
and of course it's the Jeremy Alexander Tabor Memorial Music Challenge because I'm gonna kill him for showing up my shoddy organization skills

pearson [sakes it's JANUARY and you've got registration already sorted what even is this you're gonna ruin our rep]
Chuck Pearson
East Tennessee/Southwest Virginia quiz bowl flunky (and that won't change)
Vice President of Outreach (2018-2019), PACE (seriously, what even)
Associate Professor of Natural Science, Tusculum University (coming soon to a collegiate tournament in the Mid-South)
[email protected], @ShorterPearson where relevant
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

Was the first edition of the music game ever mirrored anywhere? I don't think I've played that and it sounds great.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer
alextabor95
Lulu

Post by alextabor95 »

ErikC wrote:Was the first edition of the music game ever mirrored anywhere? I don't think I've played that and it sounds great.
I got the idea from Chuck Pearson, who played it with my high school team. He would tell you it's based on a game called K-Tell-Hell, the origins/details of which I am not sure of

The premise of the game is: During Prelims, everyone plays with a sheet of paper; you play the first 20-40 seconds of 30 songs & the players write down the name of the song and the artist. You get 2 points for either, 5 for both
After the Prelims, you take the top 10 scorers and give them buzzers. You buzz in when you recognize the song; one buzz per player; no negs; 3 buzz max per song. Two 30-song halves. Most points in the finals wins
Alex Tabor
alextabor95
Lulu

Post by alextabor95 »

Field So Far:

Open:
Cook/Perkins
Charlie Perkins, et al.
Dren Rollins, et al.
James Washick, et al.
Virginia Tech/Mary Washington
East Tennessee State University
Chris Hale, et al.

High School:
Virginia High
Honaker
Gate City
Lee
Richlands
Tazewell
Last edited by alextabor95 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Alex Tabor
Bender Bending Fernandez
Lulu

Post by Bender Bending Fernandez »

He would tell you it's based on a game called K-Tell-Hell, the origins/details of which I am not sure of
IIRC, Charlie Steinhice of UTC ran these back in the day. Dunno if he invented it.
Rob Fernandez, Maryland
Grand Moff Emeritus, University of South Florida quizbowl
alextabor95
Lulu

Post by alextabor95 »

We're now under two weeks away and things are coming together nicely.

We are however in great need of staff, so if anyone is willing to serve as staff, that would be incredible. In addition, the staffer discount has increased to $30 off

More updates, info, etc. will be coming in the next few days
Alex Tabor
appst89
Kimahri

Post by appst89 »

Can you give a last minute update on the field for Saturday?