WAO II & Delta Burke @ VCU (02/17/2018; Richmond, VA)

Old college threads.
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

WAO II & Delta Burke @ VCU (02/17/2018; Richmond, VA)

Post by Cody »

This is the general announcement for the 2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Fall College Tournament (WAO II & Delta Burke mirror), which is a college level academic quizbowl tournament, to be hosted at VCU in Richmond, Virginia, on Saturday, November 18 from 8:00 AM to about 6:00 PM. Registration will run from 8:00 AM to 8:30 AM, so teams should arrive before 8:30 AM. Rounds should conclude for the majority of teams before 6:00 PM.

Please note the change to our typical registration process, below, which involves registering via a Google Form. If you need any assistance, please e-mail Sean at the e-mail at the end of this post.

Location, directions & parking:
The tournament will most likely take place in Grace E. Harris Hall, located at the intersection of Main Street and Harrison Street, in Richmond, Virginia. One will want to park either on the street, or in the West Main Street Parking Deck, which has entrances on Cherry Street and Laurel Street and is nominally located at 801 W Main St. A campus map is accessible here.

The opening meeting will likely occur in Harris 101.

Questions:
This tournament will use two question sets: WAO II and Delta Burke, a novice-level set produced annually by Valencia College.

We will run parallel Division I and Division II tournaments on WAO and Delta Burke respectively. To be eligible for Division II, teams must meet NAQT’s Division II eligibility restrictions AND contain no player who has ever scored more than 40 ppg at any high school or college academic tournament prior to this academic year. Teams who meet the Division II guideline but wish to play in Division I will be permitted to do so.

High school teams who wish to participate in this tournament must play in Division I.

All teams in the tournament must represent a single school – no unenrolled players or mixed teams will be permitted.

Format:
This tournament will use the standard collegiate untimed 20/20 tossup/bonus format and the ACF ruleset. Power marks will be used if they are provided in the question set by the editors.

Registration & fees:
base fee: +$120 per team to your school's total fee. There is no limit to the number of teams who can attend from one school.

buzzer discount: -$5 to your school's total fee for each fully functional system. There is no limit to the number of systems you can bring. A fully functional buzzer system is defined as follows:
  • A buzzer system that clearly indicates which player has buzzed.
  • The control unit and at least 8 activators work, including lights on either or both of the 8 activators and control unit.
  • If the activators plug into a control unit via a modular connector, such as a telephone plug, tape must be provided if any latching tabs are broken.
staff discount: -$10 to your school's total fee. This can be a coach, parent, student, or other person who is not playing. Team-provided staffers will keep score for various games. Volunteer staffers must stay through all the games (excepting finals) in order to receive credit for their school. There is no limit to the number of staffers you can bring.

travel discount: -$10 to your school's total fee for every 200 miles traveled one-way from your school's address to VCU, according to Google Maps.

minimum fee: The minimum fee is $0. You can bring enough buzzers and staffers to eliminate your fee, but you cannot have a negative fee.

To register for this tournament, fill out this form. Once you have submitted the form, there is no further action needed on your part in order to be officially registered. You will receive periodic e-mail updates from us after you have registered. Posts made in this thread do not count as official registrations.

Please feel welcome to share this announcement with any schools that you think would be interested in attending.

Method of payment:
All teams must pay by the day of the tournament. We prefer to accept payment in person right before the tournament starts, but we will accept checks by mail ahead of time if required by your school. Teams who do not pay by the day of the tournament will be charged a $25 penalty and will have two weeks to pay their total amount.

We can accept cash, personal checks, or checks from a school, school district, quizbowl club, or other source. We have no ability to process purchase orders, credit cards, Paypal, or any other forms of payment. Bringing forms of payment outside of the three listed will be considered nonpayment and subject you to the $25 late payment penalty.

All checks must be made out to "Quizbowl at VCU". If you require an invoice or W-9 form in order to have a check cut, you must let us know by October 28, so that we can send you the paperwork in time. If you do not let us know about this requirement by October 28, and it causes you to come to the tournament without your payment, then you will be subject to the $25 late payment penalty.

Team & roster size:
There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, up to four of whom may play at one time. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If you bring more than six players, you must register a second team to have all of them play. There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day; there is no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may play shorthanded, with fewer than four players.

The VCU team reserves the right to cap the field based on availability of space and staff; the current cap is 23 teams. Teams registering after the field is full will be placed on a waitlist and will enter the field as we expand or as teams drop.

Food:
Neither breakfast nor lunch will be provided by the tournament. We will provide a list of suggested eateries for the lunch break, which will be some time after 12 PM.

Sean Smiley
Tournament Director, VCU Fall College Tournament
[email protected]
Last edited by Cody on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Re: WAO II & Delta Burke @ VCU (11/18/2017; Richmond, VA)

Post by Cody »

Field (4/23):

Division 1 (3):
1 Duke
1 Virginia
1 William & Mary

Division 2 (1):
1 Virginia

Waitlist (0):
Last edited by Cody on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Could we please get a field update on this? We're trying to figure out which team owes what for WAO II.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Sit Room Guy wrote:Could we please get a field update on this? We're trying to figure out which team owes what for WAO II.
With this tournament just over a week away, I'd also like to see a field update for this if possible.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I'm kind of surprised that this tournament doesn't have more sign-ups. Also, I'm a bit puzzled by this part:
Cody wrote:All teams in the tournament must represent a single school – no unenrolled players or mixed teams will be permitted.
It's certainly VCU's discretion what to do with the question set they're provided if they want to narrow eligibility (as opposed to expand it). However, WAO 2 was designed to be an open tournament where open teams could earn the right to play by contributing packets. My plans were already set given that I teamed with several Northeast-area players, but I know that Naveed, Jordan, and Ophir are going to the Princeton site because of this restriction, and to my understanding UMD will also be going there because of this.

Finally - if anyone's hesitating at all about playing this tournament because its editing team is fairly inexperienced - I've talked to a few of the editors and they're pretty excited about the product and seem to have put in effort, including listening to feedback from noted difficulty controller Jonathan Magin. Between that and the large number of experienced teams submitting, this should be at least a decent tournament. Moreover, I think an enterprising team of editors deserves some encouragement, given the challenge of doing this, and having good-sized fields at the first mirrors of their set would certainly provide that.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:I'm kind of surprised that this tournament doesn't have more sign-ups.
Yeah, I genuinely wasn't expecting us to be the only team in the field when I asked for a field update. Mid-Atlantic teams should definitely sign-up for this! Especially considering its the only non-ACF/NAQT regular difficulty set left on this year's schedule, and its not like there's a lack of interested teams in the region.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

If you haven't registered due to any concerns you have about the set, just message me or any other editor so we can address them. I can't guarantee a perfect product, but I can say with certitude that every editor has done their job to the best of their ability and listened to feedback from experienced people.
Jakob M. (they/them)
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

1992 in spaceflight in the WAO II thread wrote:The VCU team email me tonight to let me know that their mirror is being postponed. The VCU mirror might happen in January.
Is this mirror actually going to happen? If so, is it known when?
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
auriana
Lulu

Post by auriana »

The VCU mirror of WAO II will be held February 17th.
Najwa Watson
Virginia Commonwealth University, 2016
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

If we want to register for this tournament, should we fill out the form linked in the OP?
Eric Wolfsberg
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Can we also get a new field post on this?
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka

Re: WAO II & Delta Burke @ VCU (02/17/2018; Richmond, VA)

Post by Frauny Von Smiley »

To register for this tournament, please fill out the form. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Is there a reason this tournament's announcement continues to disallow open teams, despite the set being an open?
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Mnemosyne
Wakka

Post by Mnemosyne »

Can we get a field update, or any sort of confirmation that this tournament is actually happening? Did anyone sign up this time?
Nick Collins
C. E. Byrd '12 (Shreveport, LA)
Louisiana Tech '16, '17
University of Virginia
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Mnemosyne wrote:Can we get a field update, or any sort of confirmation that this tournament is actually happening? Did anyone sign up this time?
Echoing this; it would be very nice to know whether this is happening or not in advance of the skype mirror
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka

As of right now, the field consist of:

Delaware
Gettysburg
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

More teams should sign up for this this, but at what point will the tournament be cancelled if no one does?
Eric Wolfsberg
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

Frauny Von Smiley wrote:As of right now, the field consist of:

Delaware
Gettysburg
I believe Virginia should also be registered?
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Matt has confirmed to me that there are enough teams that this tournament will happen and that uva is registered. Plan accordingly.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Soooooo, is Delta Burke really still part of this? I'm assuming not, but if so, I reckon somebody ought to ask me for the set.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka

Current field:

Delaware
Gettysburg
W&M x 2
UVA
VCU house team
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka

ALSO:

Please register using the provided form if you have not done so already.
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka

Regarding Delta Burke:

We currently have two teams interested, but need a minimum of four teams to run it. If interested, please sign up.
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

This happened, though Delta Burke didn't. Virginia A won; congrats. Thanks a lot to VCU for hosting!
Eric Wolfsberg