BAIT I @ Belmont, MA (4/28/18)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

BAIT I @ Belmont, MA (4/28/18)

Post by 34 + P.J. Dozier »

Belmont High School is proud to present the inaugural Belmont Academic Invitational Tournament (BAIT). This tournament will take place on Saturday, April 28, 2018, and will be mirroring the Prison Bowl set, written by Hunter College High School (more information on the set can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 09&t=20877).

To register for this tournament, please email [email protected] with the number of teams, functioning buzzer sets, and staffers you are bringing, as well as any other pertinent information (i.e. if any of the discounts apply to your team). We will respond with a confirmation email as soon as possible. The current field cap is 18 teams. Additionally, BAIT I has been awarded platinum certification by PACE. This means that the top 25% of teams in our tournament (rounded up to the nearest integer) will qualify for PACE-NSC, a national high school quizbowl championship tournament that will take place on the weekend of June 2-3, 2018 at the Hyatt Regency Reston outside of Washington, D.C.

This tournament will run on standard quizbowl rules. Teams of 4 with up to 2 alternates; 20 tossups and bonuses per untimed round; 5 point negs; 15 point powers; no computational math. We will break most ties by PPB; top bracket ties in the playoffs will be broken with tiebreaker matches.

Belmont High School is located at 221 Concord Avenue, Belmont, MA. We will be providing water bottles during registration, which will take place in our Little Theater. We will not provide lunch for the lunch period, which will be about an hour, but Belmont Center is a 5-10 minutes walk away and possesses many local eateries.

Registration will be from 8:00 a.m. to 8:45 a.m., and we will aim to start the first round around 9:00 a.m. The tournament should end a little before 5:00 pm (provided all goes smoothly), although those playing in the finals should expect to stay for a little longer.

As far as fees go:
$80 for each team from a school
-$5 for every working buzzer system
-$10 for each experienced moderator
-$15 for teams traveling more than 100 miles
-$20 for new teams (for schools that have not played at a pyramidal quizbowl tournament since September 1, 2017)
-$25 for new teams that were on this year's High School Quiz Show (above definition of a new team still applies)
Minimum fee for teams: $50
All discounts are from the total cost and are not on a per-team basis.

Please pay by cash or check on the day of the tournament. Checks should be made out to Belmont High School and should include “Belmont Quiz Bowl” written on the memo line. We will collect the fees at registration. If a school completely drops out less than three days before the tournament, you will be still have to pay your registration fee as well as an additional $10 inconvenience fee. However, if a school remains registered in the field and would like to add or drop additional teams, you may do so without penalty until 3 PM the day before the tournament.

We hope to see you on April 28!

Current Field (Teams/Buzzers/Staff):

Acton-Boxborough (3/0/0)
Andover (1/1/0)
Barrington (1/0/0)
Belmont (2/1/many)
Bromfield (1/1/0)
Hanover (1/4/0)
Mansfield (2/1/0)
Merrimack (1/2/0)
Norton (2/0/1)
Phillips Academy (1/3/0)
Sharon (1/1/0)
Shrewsbury (2/1/1)

Total: 18 teams, 15 buzzers, 2 additional staffers
Last edited by 34 + P.J. Dozier on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Wonyoung Jang
Belmont '18 // UChicago '22
ACF; NAQT; PACE
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

Re: BAIT I @ Belmont, MA (4/28/18)

The field will always be up to date. As our field is already half full, we encourage teams to register quickly in order to ensure their spot!
Wonyoung Jang
ACF; NAQT; PACE
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

We're pleased to announce that BAIT I has been awarded platinum certification by PACE! This means that the top 25% of teams in our tournament (rounded up to the nearest integer) will qualify for PACE-NSC, a national high school quizbowl championship tournament that will take place on the weekend of June 2-3, 2018 at the Hyatt Regency Reston outside of Washington, D.C.
Wonyoung Jang
ACF; NAQT; PACE
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

In order to promote the growth of pyramidal quizbowl in tandem with WGBH's High School Quiz Show (which graciously promoted our tournament), we will be offering a sizable $25 discount to new teams (the above definition of a new team still applies) that appeared on this year's High School Quiz Show! The schools that this discount applies to are Bromfield, Needham, Thayer, Wellesley, Natick, Mansfield, Foxborough, South High, and Newton North. We would love to see these teams represented more in pyramidal quizbowl and welcome their registration!
Wonyoung Jang
ACF; NAQT; PACE
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

As the tournament draws closer, a couple of reminders/updates:

- Unless we hear about any additional interest from teams that have not signed up yet, we will be lowering our field cap to 18 on 4/21 in order to facilitate our planning.

- As mentioned in the post, 4/24 is the deadline both for registration and for dropping from the field.

EDIT: The field is now closed.
Wonyoung Jang
ACF; NAQT; PACE
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

Thank you to everyone who attended and competed at BAIT today! We're pleased to say that, despite falling slightly behind schedule, we finished playoff rounds by 5:00, and things went smoothly overall. A special shoutout to the staffers who came and volunteered their time today – we certainly could not have done it without your generosity and willingness to help out.

Acton-Boxborough A and Phillips Academy played an advantaged final round that Acton-Boxborough clinched to secure the trophy. Andover came in third. Full stats should be up by the end of tomorrow.

Any feedback for the tournament today can be directed to me, so please don't hesitate to reach out! If you have any feedback to give for the question set itself, join the Prison Bowl XI discussion forum! Go to "User Control Panel" --> "Usergroups." Scroll down, find "2018 Prison Bowl XI Discussion," click the bubble, and then click submit.
Wonyoung Jang
ACF; NAQT; PACE