Stevenson Memorial Mirror @ MSU (3/24/18)

Old college threads.
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Stevenson Memorial Mirror @ MSU (3/24/18)

Post by Ciorwrong »

The Michigan State University Academic Competition Club is excite to host a mirror of The Stevenson Memorial Tournament. This is an ideal tournament to take a team of newer or more experienced collegiate players as the set is supposed to be below regular difficulty while the editors say it will still reward deep knowledge. More details on the set can be found here. I will be TDing the event and we anticipate the event will be rewarding for players of a multitude of skill levels.

Please sign up using this Google Form. This is the first time I’ve used Google Forms for sign-up, so if you don’t see your team’s name on the field post, email or PM me and I will correct the error.

Eligibility:
Only current undergraduate players and high schoolers from one school can play this tournament unless a graduate student gets written permission from the editors. I will not be deciding who can play so please do not ask me. Teams made up of high schools from more than one school (i.e. so called “chimera” teams) are banned.

Location and Times:
The tournament will take place in either Berkey Hall or Wells Hall on March 24th, 2018. When I finalize the room request, I will post the exact building here, but I anticipate it will be Berkey Hall. Please note this is different building than where we hosted our mirror of WAO II in November. We will try to start promptly at 8:30 after a brief meeting and teams drop off their buzzers and pay. I plan on running at least 10 rounds with an advantaged final if needed.

Pricing:
$110/team
-$5/working buzzer with laptop
-$20/experienced staffer (email me if note you are bring a staffer in the Google Form)
-$10 for traveling more than 200 miles as verified by Google Maps

Payment:
Please bring either cash (exact bills preferred please) or a check made out to “MSU Academic Competition Club”. My expectation is that teams either pay by cash or check the day of the event or mail a check to an address I will provide prior to the tournament if requested. To be clear: if you do not think you can pay on the day on the event, email me and I will give you an address you can mail a check to. Under no circumstances will we be accepting electronic payments from Venmo or other services. Also, if you need an invoice for whatever reason, please give me at least before the event, and I will make one and send it to you with itemized discounts and costs.

Parking and Food Options:
There are many parking options on Grand River near Berkey Hall, or near Spartan Stadium on campus. Personally, I’d recommend teams look for food on Grand River North of campus as there are many affordable options there.

Please email me with any and all questions and concerns—especially if you are looking for a hotel in the East Lansing area. We hope to see many teams in East Lansing on March 24th! We feel this is important and fun event that all undergraduate players should consider attending!
Last edited by Ciorwrong on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Re: Stevenson Memorial Mirror @ MSU (3/27/18)

Post by Ciorwrong »

Field (Updated 22.1.2018)

School Name/Teams/Buzzers
University of Michigan 4 3
Kenyon College 1 1
Total 5 4
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Re: Stevenson Memorial Mirror @ MSU (3/24/18)

Post by Ciorwrong »

Due to lack of interest, I will be cancelling this event. Apparently there is a large contingent of schools on break during this event. That said, if I hear that 4 or more teams can attend on March 31st within the next few days, I will reschedule. Michigan and Kenyon have expressed some interest in attending on the rescheduled date, but I would like at least two more colleges to make the event 1) profitable and worth my time to run and 2) fun for the teams that attend. If you are interested, please RSVP me before Friday.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Just a reminder: I am going to cancel this tomorrow unless I hear from some more teams. Contact me ASAP if interested.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Re: Stevenson Memorial Mirror @ MSU (3/24/18) CANCELED

Post by Ciorwrong »

This event is now canceled. Unfortunately, not enough teams signed up to make it worth our while to host. Hopefully this tournament can be scheduled elsewhere in the Midwest this spring.

Frankly, though, I am disappointed that more in the Midwest circuit didn't reach out to me and say that this date didn't work well for them. I heard this info second-hand or not all after I had already scheduled NAQT Michigan for another weekend in the already crowded spring calendar. In the future, I will try to do a better job of communicating with other team leaders in the Midwest, and I thank teams that actually did bother to RSVP me. Please note that it's polite to RSVP whether you are going or not. It's helpful to have an estimated attendance.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Am I misinterpreting something? Because I find the "RSVP if you're going or not" to be pretty confusing unless you mean "i had people who were waffling about going or not." I mean, I'm assuming you didn't send out specific invitations to teams across the midwest.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Cheynem wrote:Am I misinterpreting something? Because I find the "RSVP if you're going or not" to be pretty confusing unless you mean "i had people who were waffling about going or not." I mean, I'm assuming you didn't send out specific invitations to teams across the midwest.
No but I did email a lot of teams in the Midwest in a mass email only one of whom responded to indicate they can't go. I think it would have been a lot easier for me to a) pick a better date for this event and b) estimate attendance if teams had reached out and said "Harris, we can't attend because reason ZZZ" and I would have moved it earlier. It's perfectly fine to not have a weekend that works, but leaving me in the dark was rather unfortunate. I should have had better communication with other club leaders, as I mentioned, but I was taught that when someone asks for an RSVP (especially an invitation to a business event) that you are supposed to respond promptly if you can attend or not.

It's not a big deal, but I think we can all agree that it's unfortunate that this event isn't happening--whatever the precise cause.
Last edited by Ciorwrong on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Michigan may be able to host this, pending the availability of free rooms to reserve. It will have a rather small field cap, since I don't want to force our club members to staff, rather than play, this on short notice, and also we are only allowed to reserve a limited number of rooms for free (which means that a small, more informal field will be fine since profit isn't an issue). I'll be in contact with the editors, and if we do end up hosting a full announcement will be up shortly.

We'd like to keep the same date, but we might move it to the 31st if necessary, either because teams can only make it that date or because of staff issues.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database