FACTS @ MIT (March 10, 2018)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
joshxiong
Lulu

FACTS @ MIT (March 10, 2018)

Post by joshxiong »

Hello, everyone! I am pleased to announce that MIT will be hosting a mirror of FACTS on Saturday, March 10, 2018.

LOCATION AND SCHEDULE: The tournament will take place on MIT's campus in Cambridge, MA. Teams should report to room 2-190 (located in Building 2) in the morning for registration and opening announcements. We ask that teams arrive between 8:30 and 8:45 in the morning for registration; the opening meeting will start as soon as all teams have arrived, with games beginning immediately following the meeting's conclusion. Games will take place in Building 2 and Building 4. A map of MIT's campus can be found here.

Teams will play a minimum of 10 games. If everything runs smoothly, we expect the tournament to conclude around 5 PM.

GETTING TO MIT: MIT is easily accessible via the Boston T system by taking the Red Line to the Kendall/MIT stop. We recommend teams avoid driving if possible, as parking is very difficult to find on the MIT campus. Driving directions are available here, and a list of parking locations on campus can be found here.

FORMAT: Rounds will consist of 20 tossup questions that can be answered by members of either team. If a team answers a tossup question correctly, they will then play an unrelated three-part bonus question that only their team can answer.

Each team can have up to six players on its roster, but only four players may play at any one time. Schools planning to bring seven or more players should register a second team.

QUESTION SET: We will be using the FACTS set. More information on the set can be found in the announcement here.

We intend to seek affiliation with the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence, so that top-placing teams will qualify for the PACE National Scholastic Championship (NSC).

UPDATE (5/5): The tournament has been Platinum certified by PACE, meaning that the top 25% of teams will qualify for the PACE NSC.

FEES: The registration fees for this tournament are as follows:

+$75: first team from a school
+$70: each additional team from a school
-$10: each volunteer staffer provided by a school.
-$5: each buzzer set provided by a school. In order to receive this discount, the buzzer system must be fully functional.
-$10: for teams traveling in excess of 200 miles one-way, as determined by the distance Google Maps provides between MIT and your school.

The minimum fee for a school is $0.

PAYMENT: Teams may pay either in advance or on the day of the tournament. Either cash or check is acceptable; please make checks out to "MIT Quiz Bowl Team." If your school requires an invoice prior to payment, please let us know as soon as possible.

REGISTRATION: This tournament is open to teams from all geographic areas and levels of experience. Teams will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. The field cap is 20 teams. Once the cap is filled, new teams will enter a waitlist and be added to the field if registered teams drop. The registration deadline is Tuesday, March 6 at noon EST; teams that register after the deadline will be added to a waitlist.

In order to register for this tournament, please email ALL of the following information to me at joshx [AT] mit [DOT] edu:
1. School name
2. Number of teams you are registering
3. The name, email, and cell phone number of a coach or responsible adult who will be present at the tournament.
4. The number of buzzers and staffers you are intending to bring.

Although expressions of interest in this forum are appreciated, the only official channel for registration is to email the above information to me. Registering teams should receive an email of confirmation within a day.

Please feel free to contact me at joshx [AT] mit [DOT] edu if you have any questions or concerns about the tournament. We look forward to hosting your team for an exciting day of quizbowl!
Last edited by joshxiong on Sat May 05, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Josh Xiong
Acton-Boxborough RHS '15
MIT '19
joshxiong
Lulu

Re: FACTS @ MIT (March 10, 2018)

Post by joshxiong »

Field (teams/buzzers/staffers)
Acton-Boxborough (3/0/0)
Barrington, RI (1/0/0)
Belmont (2/1/0)
Boston Latin (1/1/1)
Brookline (1/1/1)
Concord-Carlisle (2/0/0)
Hanover (1/3/0)
Hingham (1/0/0)
"Kentucky Freud Chicken" (1/1/0)
Lexington (2/1/1)
Plymouth Regional (2/1/1)
"Team Vincent" (1/0/0)

Total (18/9/4)
Last edited by joshxiong on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Josh Xiong
Acton-Boxborough RHS '15
MIT '19
cthewolf
Lulu

Post by cthewolf »

Field update please.
Christy Jestin
Boston Latin School '20
Team Mascot
[email protected]
Lulu

Post by [email protected] »

Plymouth Regional High School from Plymouth NH would like to register as follows: PRHS(2/1/1)
Thanks,
Jay Fogarty
PRHS
86 OLD WARD BRIDGE ROAD
PLYMOUTH, NH 03264
troyharris
Wakka

Post by troyharris »

Do you have a field update?
Troy Harris
Plymouth, NH
joshxiong
Lulu

Post by joshxiong »

I will be closing registration for this tournament on Tuesday, March 6 at noon EST. I will be keeping a waitlist for any teams that wish to register after this deadline in case of last-minute field drops. Please register soon if you would like to play this tournament!
Josh Xiong
Acton-Boxborough RHS '15
MIT '19
joshxiong
Lulu

Post by joshxiong »

Thanks to all players and staffers for coming to our tournament yesterday! Congratulations to Acton-Boxborough A, who won the tournament after defeating the finals play-in winner "Kentucky Freud Chicken". Lexington A finished in third after losing the play-in game. Complete team statistics for prelims, playoffs, and all games can be found here. Please let me know if there are any issues with the stats, so I can make corrections.
Josh Xiong
Acton-Boxborough RHS '15
MIT '19