Battle of the Burgh XXI (3/24/18)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
thegoodsheppard
Lulu

Battle of the Burgh XXI (3/24/18)

Post by thegoodsheppard »

Questions: NAQT set IS-173A.

Format: Standard NAQT format (https://www.naqt.com/rules.html).

Registration: To register, please email me at [email protected], with the number of teams, buzzers, and moderators you plan to bring. None of these are required, but are highly encouraged. Registration will close on March 17.

Fees and discounts:

-First team: $70
-Second team: $60
-Third team: $50
-Buzzer system: -$10 each
-Moderator/scorekeeper: -$10 each
-Never Attended a Pitt tournament: -$10
-Over 200 miles traveled (one way):-$10
Minimum fee per team: $40. Buzzers must be completely functional with at least 8 signaling devices to receive discount; moderators should be experienced.

Payment: Please make checks out to "Pitt Quiz Bowl". We prefer to be paid with cash or check on the day of the tournament; please email if you need to make other arrangements.

Schedule: Day-of registration will be from 8:30 to 9:00 am (room G8 of the Cathedral of Learning), with round 1 starting by 9:30. Number of rounds and playoff/finals format will be determined by the field size. Logistical information will be provided to registered teams.
Last edited by thegoodsheppard on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben Sheppard
Pitt Quiz Bowl President
Pitt 2014-2018
Cedar Cliff 2010-2014
Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock
Wakka

Re: Battle of the Burgh XXI (3/24/18)

Post by Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock »

I'm curious as to why teams will be charged an extra twenty dollars in order to receive a copy of the questions they are already paying to play. This seems highly unusual to me and I'm wondering why this policy is in place for this tournament.
Ryan Bilger
Emmaus '15, Gettysburg '19, West Virginia '21
National Park Service

"I never saved anything for the swim back." - Vincent Freeman, Gattaca
thegoodsheppard
Lulu

Team updates (3/9/18)
Central Catholic: 1 team
Chartiers Valley High School: 1 team
John Marshall: 1 team
Keystone Oaks: 1 team
Copley High School: 2 teams
Huntingdon: 2 teams
Allderdice: 4 teams
Winchester Thurston: 1 team
DuBois: 1 team
Ben Sheppard
Pitt Quiz Bowl President
Pitt 2014-2018
Cedar Cliff 2010-2014
thegoodsheppard
Lulu

Field Update 3/22/18

( # of teams, buzzers, moderators)

Allderdice (4/1/0)
Central Catholic (1/0/0)
Chartiers Valley (1/1/0)
Copley (2/2/0)
DuBois (1/1/0)
Hampton (1/1/0)
John Marshall (1/0/0)
Keystone Oaks (1/1/0)
Shady Side Academy (1/1/0)
Winchester Thurston (1/1/0)
Ben Sheppard
Pitt Quiz Bowl President
Pitt 2014-2018
Cedar Cliff 2010-2014
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

I'm curious as to why teams will be charged an extra twenty dollars in order to receive a copy of the questions they are already paying to play. This seems highly unusual to me and I'm wondering why this policy is in place for this tournament.
I agree, Ryan. I thought it was standard practice for teams to receive packets at the end of the tournament but as a relative newcomer to QB (four years now) I am always discovering that a lot of QB stuff that people tell me is standard practice turns out not to be, or at least not to be standard for everyone. I can only think of one time when we had to pay for our packet. At last year's HSNCT, NAQT ran out of tournament packets to hand out, so that they said they could send the questions to us... if we paid $5 for the postage. I didn't think it was fair but I ponied up, anyway. And it was only $5, not $20.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Antrobus63 wrote:
I agree, Ryan. I thought it was standard practice for teams to receive packets at the end of the tournament but as a relative newcomer to QB (four years now) I am always discovering that a lot of QB stuff that people tell me is standard practice turns out not to be, or at least not to be standard for everyone. I can only think of one time when we had to pay for our packet. At last year's HSNCT, NAQT ran out of tournament packets to hand out, so that they said they could send the questions to us... if we paid $5 for the postage. I didn't think it was fair but I ponied up, anyway. And it was only $5, not $20.
It is standard practice for the Pitt club, going back many years. Institutional inertia is a heck of a drug.

The CMU club used to do this, too, until we realized that no one else was doing it (and that it was ultimately inconsequential to our club's finances). I would encourage the Pitt club to to likewise. It's not a great look to be nickel-and-diming folks like this.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
wkyoung
Kimahri

Post by wkyoung »

Thank you for bringing the concern to our attention. We will likely change the policy for future tournaments.

User was reminded to add a signature. -mgmt