2018 NAQT SSNCT: April 28-29, Chicago

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2018 NAQT SSNCT: April 28-29, Chicago

Post by Important Bird Area »

naqt.com wrote:NAQT is pleased to announce that its 2018 Small School National Championship Tournament will be held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare hotel in Rosemont, IL, on April 27–29, 2018. This is the same hotel that hosted the 2017 SSNCT.
Please note the qualification changes we have made for the 2018 SSNCT.

Full details

Qualified teams may now register here

Current field
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Re: 2018 NAQT SSNCT: April 28-29, Chicago

Wildcard applications and standby signups for the 2018 SSNCT are now open.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

I was told by someone that the SSNCT uses a "card method" for seeding, but couldn't find information that reflected this upon looking at information about the 2018 SSNCT. Is this correct?
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

tksaleija wrote:I was told by someone that the SSNCT uses a "card method" for seeding, but couldn't find information that reflected this upon looking at information about the 2018 SSNCT. Is this correct?
We won't decide the tournament format until we know the final field size, though it is very likely that card systems will be used for both prelims and playoffs. It's not really for seeding, though. You can read more about power-matching on the QBWiki.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Important Bird Area

The field for the Open Division of the 2018 SSNCT has been expanded to 64 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

When is formatting generally finalized? If it already has been and you're wondering why I'm asking, it's in response to the last sentence of the "Format" section on the SSNCT 18 webpage that says that more details will be given once the field is finalized (or something like that).
Aleija Rodriguez
MCMC/MCCC 2019
Important Bird Area

We expect to announce the format for the 2018 SSNCT after the ICT is concluded.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

Have any side events been confirmed or talked about for SSNCT?
Aleija Rodriguez
MCMC/MCCC 2019
mazinomer
Lulu

Post by mazinomer »

I know the Fort Osage “Pass the AUX Cord III” tournament has been pushed toward SSNCT by some people going there, but I don’t think anything’s confirmed yet.
Mazin Omer
Ottawa Hills High School '19
Harvard '23
Peter Preston
Kimahri

Post by Peter Preston »

Hello fellow competitors in the SSNCT. I was hoping to take my five member team over to the Chicago Art Institute on Friday April 27. The online form lists no Friday times and has a minimum limit of 15 students. I haven't been to Nationals in about six years, so I'm rusty on how to proceed. How feasible would it be to just head over that Friday with five students and 2-4 chaperones and expect to get in? I've sent this request to the Art Institute, but have yet to hear back. Are there any other teams going to the Art Institute that day? Thank you for any help you can give me in this eclectic matter.

User was reminded to add a signature. -mgmt
bigbluemist
Lulu

Post by bigbluemist »

We did the Art Institute last year. I’d suggest you go on-line and buy tickets. You should be able to print them off. We arrived shortly before opening and got in without any problems.
Jim Reid
Glasgow
Atlashill
Wakka

Post by Atlashill »

Among the hidden nuggets to tour in Chicago, if we're going to take this thread in this particular direction: the Museum of Broadcast Communications. This attraction in Downtown Chicago (one block north of the Marina towers) and includes the National Radio Hall of Fame, along with artifacts from through the century-plus of American broadcasting. This year they also have a special exhibit, SNL: The Experience.

Easy for this broadcaster to recommend it, but it is a unique collection of American history worth taking in.
Kyle Hill—Liberty (Mo.) '03—Truman State '07
Moderator for hire based in Sedalia, Mo.
Important Bird Area

Format details for the 2018 SSNCT are now available on naqt.com.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

Out of curiosity, was the cut-off for All-Star awards changed from last year, and if so, how?
Aleija Rodriguez
MCMC/MCCC 2019
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

tksaleija wrote:Out of curiosity, was the cut-off for All-Star awards changed from last year, and if so, how?
No (but it would have been plausible to do so because each team plays ten prelim games instead of nine). The number of awards in the Open Division is twice the number from last year's Charter and Private School division (because there are approximately twice as many teams).
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

jonah wrote:
tksaleija wrote:Out of curiosity, was the cut-off for All-Star awards changed from last year, and if so, how?
No (but it would have been plausible to do so because each team plays ten prelim games instead of nine). The number of awards in the Open Division is twice the number from last year's Charter and Private School division (because there are approximately twice as many teams).
Thanks for the clarification. I noticed that there were more this year, I just wasn't sure why.
Aleija Rodriguez
MCMC/MCCC 2019
Important Bird Area

Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

The finals will be livestreamed on youtube and liveblogged on Twitter.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Important Bird Area

Congratulations to Glasgow High School (Kentucky), who defeated Ottawa Hills Junior/Senior High School (Toledo, Ohio) 430-330 to win the Traditional Public division of the 2018 NAQT Small School National Championship Tournament! Ottawa Hills also claimed the title for the highest-finishing Very Small School. Williamsville High School (Illinois) took third place with a 390-300 win over Hallsville R-IV School (Missouri).

The Early College at Guilford (Greensboro, North Carolina) defeated Friends Select School (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) 440-305 to win the Open division.

Complete team and individual statistics are now available on naqt.com.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

The livestreaming was a great idea and improved a good bit on last year's Periscoping, but I do have a few suggestions to make it look more professional.

There are a not-inconsiderable number of people interested in watching matches, but when the livestream is jumping from match to match and platform to platform it's going to be hard for people at home like friends and family (a crucial core audience) to follow at the time. Is there no way to have a permanent link to where the next livestreamed match can be viewed instead of having to wait for a link to be provided for each match separately? The whole "second game of Open finals is now on the instagram app" was pretty disappointing for a good number of people. It might also help to use the fact there's a live camera on at the end of the match to announce to the people tuning in what's going to happen next instead of just cutting it off and assuming people will find it elsewhere.

Also, given that FIRST Robotics was all over Twitch with their competition this weekend (and what looked like 3500-4000 viewers at any given time I checked), that might be something to look into for future tournaments. I noticed that most of their coverage actually seemed to be focused on interviews, so that's easily something replicable for quizbowl. The ideal would be to create a bigger sort of media event rather than just documenting matches/interviews--something that people can send to their friends or people with only a casual knowledge of quizbowl who would be interested in watching and passing along to others.

And of course, better audio and the addition of on-screen score updating/captioning would be quite helpful. At the very least this would be helpful in post-production since these are now some of the few good quizbowl matches available on YouTube.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

Will a private discussion be made for this?
Aleija Rodriguez
MCMC/MCCC 2019
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

tksaleija wrote:Will a private discussion be made for this?
Bumping this in case it has yet to be made
Aleija Rodriguez
MCMC/MCCC 2019
Important Bird Area

naqt.com wrote:Podcasts are now available of selected matches from NAQT's 2018 Small School National Championship Tournament.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF