2-Day HSNCT Mirror @ Toronto (July 7-8, 2018)

Old college threads.
Calculus?
Wakka

2-Day HSNCT Mirror @ Toronto (July 7-8, 2018)

Post by Calculus? »

Hello Canada! :cool:

The University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club is pleased to announce our third annual two-day mirror of HSNCT, which will take place over the weekend of July 7th and 8th. The tournament will take place on U of T campus in Sidney Smith Hall (100 Saint George Street). The tournament will start at 9:00 am so please be there by 8:30. For more info on the set, see here. This tournament will be directed by the illustrious Paul Kasinski.

Fees and discounts

NOTE: THIS FEE IS PER DAY. If you want to play both days, you will have to pay both times, but if your team has played the first day, you will receive a discount for the second day.

Base fee: $120
Buzzer discount: $10 per functioning set
FTP moderator discount: $5 per person who staffs FTP on Saturday night
*NEW* Buzzer anti-discount: +$10 if you tell us you’re bringing a buzzer set and then show up to the site with no set or an unusable set, barring some emergency circumstances.

Second-day fee: $60*

HIGH SCHOOL TEAM FEES
We are implementing a lower fee for teams for which every player registered is either currently enrolled in high school, or completed high school this past year (I.e. 2017-2018 was their grade 12/13 year). All other combinations of players pay standard fee. The discounts listed above can still apply.

Base fee: $80
Second-day fee: $40*

*This fee will apply to your team if you played the first day already. It cannot be combined with other discounts.

Registration

This mirror is completely open, so anyone can play. Make a team or register as a free agent and we will find you one. High school teams are, as always, welcome.

To register, please send me an email at uoftquizbowl AT gmail DOT com, or just shoot me a PM or Facebook message.

As always, I will accept cash, cheque, or e-transfer. Cheques should be made out to "University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club".

Currently no field cap, that will probably change once we get some registrations/staffer numbers.

Field

Saturday
Aaron + Josh et al.
Makumasuta Daigaku
Cameron et al.
Erik et al.
Chris Lionel's Team
Tim’s Team (HS)
Nick Sunderland’s Team
Zhongtian's Team (HS)
UTS Alumni
Arif’s Team (HS)

Sunday
Aaron + Josh et al.
Makumasuta Daigaku
Erik et al.
Tim’s Team (HS)
Nick Sunderland’s Team
UTS Alumni
Arif’s Team (HS)

Side events
Saturday night: FTP 3 - $15/per person (NOTE: If you staffed at least one day of HSNCT, you can play this for free)

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, etc. please post them here. See you all in July!
Last edited by Calculus? on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 28 times in total.
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Re: 2-Day HSNCT Mirror @ Toronto (July 7-8, 2018)

Post by Ciorwrong »

I'll be working New York at this time and would love to play this event and maybe run FTP 3 on the second day, Let me know if you'd like to play with me or if you could give some advice on getting to Toronto from NYC.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Progcon wrote:I'll be working New York at this time and would love to play this event and maybe run FTP 3 on the second day, Let me know if you'd like to play with me or if you could give some advice on getting to Toronto from NYC.
VIA Rail/Amtrak does a joint day-train (8am-8pm) either direction from Toronto to NYC. Porter airlines has generally cheap fares between EWR and Toronto's city airport.

I recommend that there is one primary side event held Saturday evening, with minor side events at lunch (e.g. 2-3 packets tossup only stuff, Hunna Days and Arthur worked well for those purposes last year). Longer Sunday evening side events will be a drag and you will lose a bunch of people who have to work out of town Monday.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
cruzeiro
Rikku

Post by cruzeiro »

Benin Rebirth Party wrote:
Progcon wrote:I'll be working New York at this time and would love to play this event and maybe run FTP 3 on the second day, Let me know if you'd like to play with me or if you could give some advice on getting to Toronto from NYC.
VIA Rail/Amtrak does a joint day-train (8am-8pm) either direction from Toronto to NYC. Porter airlines has generally cheap fares between EWR and Toronto's city airport.
If you have an airline alliance of choice, there are also flights between all three of the NYC-area airports to Pearson on all three (Air Canada, WestJet (codeshare with Delta), American from LGA, Air Canada and United from EWR and American and Delta from JFK).
Dennis Beeby
Waterloo Collegiate Institute, 2011
University of Ottawa, 2016
Queen's University, 2017, 2019
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

I'll be working New York at this time and would love to play this event and maybe run FTP 3 on the second day
We'd be glad to have you run F.T.P. 3, but I think it would have to be on Saturday evening, as people from outside of Toronto will be travelling home on Sunday evening.
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

Hi. For anyone I haven't spoken to about this already, provided no decision is made on the Matt Bruce case by Sunday night, Toronto will be switching this set over to Oxford Open on the Saturday, and a myriad of side events on the Sunday. The fee structure for Saturday will not be significantly different from this one. It is possible that the HSNCT set will still be mirrored later in the summer should this boycott no longer be necessary (if anyone from NAQT is seeing this, I will be in touch with you this weekend about this).

I will post again next week once our set choice has been confirmed, hopefully along with some idea of the sides we will be running. Thanks for everyone's patience on this.
Meghan Torchia
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

Hello again!

Given the developments in the Matt Bruce case (read: he was fired) Toronto quizbowl will stay true to its word and use the HSNCT set for this tournament weekend. 10% of the profits from this weekend will be donated to a charity (TBD) which directly assists survivors of sexual violence.

If you have any questions or concerns about this, or about any of the events that have transpired recently please feel free to reach out to me.
Meghan Torchia
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

Registration deadline for this will be June 27th. Please have teams finalized by then.
Meghan Torchia
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

The field for this tournament is now capped and we will no longer be accepting registrations for it. We will have a logistics post out as soon as possible, we are just waiting for a room booking to be confirmed.
Meghan Torchia
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

Hello teams,
Thank you for attending Toronto’s mirror of HSNCT! We hope you have a great time. Logistics information follows:

LOCATION AND TRANSPORTATION
This tournament will take place both days in Sidney Smith Hall (100 St. George Street). For those who have never been, it’s the building with an enormous banner reading “Arts & Science” on it. Our control room on SATURDAY will be room 2127, and our control room on SUNDAY will be room 2112. Please make sure you go to the correct room on the correct day. The tournament will begin at 9:00 AM sharp. Due to the number of teams expected, please make sure you arrive by 8:30 so as not to keep everyone else waiting. If you are late, we will not hesitate to start without you. The tournament will likely end around 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.. That being said, this is an estimate, so please don’t go make plans for 5:01 PM.
If you are driving, the closest parking can be found underground at 107 Saint George Street. If you are taking transit, get off at St. George subway station (St. George exit, not Bedford Road) and walk south along Saint George Street until you reach the building. Please note that the Yonge side of the yellow line will be closed from Lawrence to Saint Clair stations. Please plan your transit accordingly.

PAYMENT
As stated in Meghan's original announcement, I will accept cash, cheque, or e-transfer/PayPal. Cheques should be made out to “University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club”, not to me personally. Please be ready to pay before the tournament starts. If you are playing both days, you may either pay for both on Saturday, or pay for Saturday and Sunday on those respective days. Please note that all prices are in CAD. I strongly encourage you to pay me electronically before the tournament if possible in order to save time the day of.

FORMAT
We have 10 teams on Saturday and 7 on Sunday. Therefore, we will be playing a 9-round robin on Saturday and a 7-round robin followed by a 3-game rebracket on Sunday. Both days will be followed by finals if necessary. Teams will be given game schedules the day of. Lunch will be after round 5 and will last approximately an hour. There are a variety of cheap lunch options near campus (on Bloor Street to the north and College Street to the south).
We will be playing F.T.P. 3 on Saturday evening following the main event. This is a trash (pop culture) side event and it will cost $15 per person. You don’t need to register or form a team ahead of time, just stick around if you’d like to play. Format (doubles or quads) will be determined once we have numbers.
If you have any questions that were not answered here, feel free to ask. If you have a problem on the day of, please contact me (my email is paul[DOT]kasinski[AT]bell[DOT]net).

See you all soon!
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

So yeah I deeply apologize for how unformatted FTP3 looked and how slowly the packets were sent out. I was under the impression that I'd have more time to work on the set today, and one of our writers didn't have WiFi all day and couldn't upload this questions. The packetizor from QEMS was not working at all and I had to packetize everything by hand over the course of today.

Hopefully those who played enjoyed the set, and I'd love to hear back from those with constructive criticism, comments, etc. If there is interest, I can also send over the formatted questions by category (or all the categories) so if you, say, wanted to see all the NFL Questions, you can see them all formatted in one document and also see who wrote the question.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired