NASAT Online Mirror 2 (7/28 to 7/29)

Old college threads.
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

NASAT Online Mirror 2 (7/28 to 7/29)

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

The second online mirror of NASAT will take place on July 28th and 29th, with 10 packets read each day. The registration fee is $10/person for the entire weekend, and can be paid via Venmo (to @youngflee99).

The tournament will be run on this Discord server, and you can sign up here. I'm setting a tentative field cap of 4 teams, but if I get more staffers, this will change.

I'm thinking the way I'll run it, since it seems that some people want to only play one day, I'll just treat the two days as two separate tournaments, with a day 1 champion and a day 2 champion (which may or may not be different teams). This also might not be the way I run it if everyone is playing the whole weekend, so this is subject to change. More concrete details will come as people sign up.

We'll be starting at 11 AM EDT each day. Please show up at least 15 minutes early.

If you have any questions, you can post them in this thread or email me at youngflee99 [atsymbolhere] gmail.com. Thanks for your interest!

EDIT: The Discord invite link has been changed to an invite that will never expire, as opposed to the old one, which expired 24 hours after it was generated.
Last edited by Dantooine is Big! on Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Romanos I Lekapenos
Lulu

Re: NASAT Online Mirror 2 (7/28 to 7/29)

Post by Romanos I Lekapenos »

Hello everyone,

I just put my name down as a free agent for this mirror of NASAT. First off, am I allowed to compete in this as a middle schooler (well, technically my MS career is done)? Second, if it is okay for me to play, I'd be glad to join any team that needs a history/fine arts/mythology player. Here are some stats from question sets I have played this year in case any of you are wondering: IS-170 - 52-63-18, 118.4; IS - 167A - 59-36-19-127.78; MSNCT 2018 - 104-44-28-111.38.

EDIT: I am now on a team. (Help I'm in Iceland and Can't Come to Practice)
Last edited by Romanos I Lekapenos on Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Muñiz
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

As a team (the BC team) has stated that they will only be playing day 2 of the mirror, I have fixed the sheet so that there's a Day 1 sheet and a Day 2 sheet. Feel free to sign up for whichever day works for you.
theclassicsguy wrote:Am I allowed to compete in this as a middle schooler (well, technically my MS career is done)?
You sure are! I don't see your name on the sheets right now, though, so I put you down as a free agent for both days.

Since we have reached the team cap for day 2, I'd like to remind people that I'm seeking more mods. If it's worth anything, I'd be willing to venmo you the price of your lunch for, uh, one of the days you mod as a symbol of my gratitude.
Last edited by Dantooine is Big! on Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

I just wanted to confirm that day 1 will be packets 1-10 and day 2 11-20? This is important as some of us already played the first half of the tournament (1-12) at a live site.

edit: our plan would be to have Rein solo the rounds on 11 and 12 then join him afterwards
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

adosreme wrote:I just wanted to confirm that day 1 will be packets 1-10 and day 2 11-20? This is important as some of us already played the first half of the tournament (1-12) at a live site.

edit: our plan would be to have Rein solo the rounds on 11 and 12 then join him afterwards
Yes, this is correct, and that plan seems fine. In other news, the field cap has gone up to 6 for both days!
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

The Day 1 field cap is currently at 10 and the Day 2 field cap is at 8, thanks to the generous help of Connor Mayers and Matt Mitchell.
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Abdon Ubidia
Wakka

Post by Abdon Ubidia »

Are you still looking for mods?
Anson Berns
Montgomery Blair '19
Brown '23
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

ansonberns wrote:Are you still looking for mods?
We're looking totally good on mods for Saturday, but if we end up filling up an 8th team on Sunday and another team wants to sign up, we'd need another mod. If you're available, totally feel free to put down your name as a staffer! We might not need it, though.

We're looking pretty light on teams for Saturday, considering the field cap for Saturday is 10. Anyone who hasn't signed up yet or on the fence should consider signing up by the middle of next week at the absolute latest. This helps us figure out how many staffers we'll really need. Thanks!
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

This is the last call for signups for the two mirrors. I'll be sending out a logistics email to all players, free agents, and staffers tomorrow.
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

It looks like Saturday still has only three teams signed up, so presumably we'd be just taking turns playing each other for the entire day. Not saying this isn't OK by me (having lots of byes is actually pretty nice)--but just wanted to confirm the TDs have no plans to change anything in regards to this?
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

UlyssesInvictus wrote:It looks like Saturday still has only three teams signed up, so presumably we'd be just taking turns playing each other for the entire day. Not saying this isn't OK by me (having lots of byes is actually pretty nice)--but just wanted to confirm the TDs have no plans to change anything in regards to this?
If no more people sign up before tomorrow, my plan would be to put the remaining 5 free agents onto a 5-person team (if that was OK with everyone and there were no objections to there being a 5-person team) and play a triple round-robin with 4 teams, with one finals game (and then a scrimmage among the two lower teams). This, in general, would be more ideal so that everyone can play all the rounds.
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Your Genie Felon, Me wrote:
UlyssesInvictus wrote:It looks like Saturday still has only three teams signed up, so presumably we'd be just taking turns playing each other for the entire day. Not saying this isn't OK by me (having lots of byes is actually pretty nice)--but just wanted to confirm the TDs have no plans to change anything in regards to this?
If no more people sign up before tomorrow, my plan would be to put the remaining 5 free agents onto a 5-person team (if that was OK with everyone and there were no objections to there being a 5-person team) and play a triple round-robin with 4 teams, with one finals game (and then a scrimmage among the two lower teams). This, in general, would be more ideal so that everyone can play all the rounds.
Ah, duh. Totally forgot about the free agents. My bad.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Logistics emails have been sent to all players and staffers. If anyone's team did not receive the email, please PM or email me and I can send it to you. Thanks!
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

As a final reminder of important things for people who are playing this:
  • Pay me ($10/person)
    Join the Discord before the day that you're playing
    Arrive 15 minutes early, prior to the 11 AM EST start time each day
    PM or Email me to get the full logistics email
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Day 1 of this mirror happened today. With 4 teams in the field, we played a triple round robin. Our plan was to either make packet 10 a one-game final if the top two teams were tied in record or a scrimmage if they weren't. "Help I'm in Iceland and Can't Come to Practice" had a better record than "The Ovechkin Party Bus" after round 9, and thus, won the tournament outright, so we scrimmed on packet 10. Stats are here.
Last edited by Dantooine is Big! on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

Thanks for TD'ing Young! You are a good man.
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Day 2 of this mirror happened today. With 6 teams in the field, we played a double round robin. Since we didn't have any packets beyond the 10 prelim rounds, we just decided to have the records stand as they were after the prelims, with no finals games. "Help I'm in Iceland and Can't Come to Practice" cleared the field, with "The Ovechkin Party Bus" coming in clear second with a 7-3 record. Stats are here.

Thanks to everyone who played these mirrors! The two days were exhausting, but fun.
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Romanos I Lekapenos
Lulu

Post by Romanos I Lekapenos »

Thanks for running such an amazing tournament. As a result, I will try to sign up for more events like this in the future. Also, thanks to Jason, Natan, and Walter for allowing a total novice to join their team for the first day, and to Chip for putting up with my 10 negs and failed attempts at converting bonuses on the second. :grin: It was fun.
Robert Muñiz