EFT Open Discord Mirror (09/22/2018)

Old college threads.
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

EFT Open Discord Mirror (09/22/2018)

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Continuing this set’s proud tradition of online playtesting, I am pleased to announce the open test mirror of the 2018 Early Fall Tournament, which will be held on this Discord channel on September 22nd, 2018, starting at 11 AM EDT. I will be running the tournament.

You can register here. Please register by September 15th and include your contact information, especially for free agents. The registration fee is $15 per person, payable to me via Venmo to @damischa, or via PayPal to alexandra [dot] damisch [at] gmail [dot] com. Because many EFT writers/editors are unable to staff the Discord mirror, we are currently seeking paid staff to help run the tournament--we’ll take $5 of each person’s registration fee, pool it, and split it among the staff. If we have more staff interest than we need, I reserve the right to retain more experienced readers.

The format is TBA based on team interest, but because Discord mirrors can run very long, I aim to keep this at ~11 rounds or fewer.

If you have any questions, please contact me at alexandra [dot] damisch [at] gmail [dot] com. Hope to "see" you there!
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Aaron's Rod

Re: EFT Open Discord Mirror (09/22/2018)

Post by Aaron's Rod »

A reminder that this is in a week, and please get your registrations in today. We are still seeking paid staff!
Alex D.
ACF

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

Thanks to everyone who has signed up on the spreadsheet so far! We're in serious need of two more staffers, and are willing to pay for your time (see the OP), so if you are available, please consider helping us out and staffing for this tournament. A logistics email will be coming soon for players, so stay tuned.
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Your Genie Felon, Me wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:30 am Thanks to everyone who has signed up on the spreadsheet so far! We're in serious need of two more staffers, and are willing to pay for your time (see the OP), so if you are available, please consider helping us out and staffing for this tournament. A logistics email will be coming soon for players, so stay tuned.
This went out a few hours ago, but there's no reason to not also have the info on here:

Three things you need to do before 11 AM EDT tomorrow:

1. Join the EFT server.
2. Add your Discord username to this doc ASAP, so staffers can easily add and remove you from channels. Everyone who is playing the tournament must have their Discord username next to their team on that doc.
3. Pay me $15 on Venmo at @damischa or via PayPal at [email protected]. If you are paying on behalf of multiple people, please clearly indicate who you are paying for.

Format
There are 12 teams. We will be playing 5 prelims rounds, take a ~45 min break, and then play 3 playoffs rounds. The schedule is linked above. Because we have people playing all over the US and Canada, starting at 11 AM and going for a few hours will be undeniably awkward for some people, eating-wise. For people on Eastern or Central time, I strongly recommend you eat a big brunch before the tournament and have some food and snacks handy. You've been warned!

Rules Modifications
This tournament will be run on basically ACF rules, with a few exceptions/additions:
  • The tournament is power-marked.
  • Players buzz in via text, typing the word "buzz."
  • Players will have 8 seconds after the moderator says their name to type an answer, and 5 seconds each on subsequent prompts.
  • If multiple people buzz in at once, the moderator will recognize the first person that they see buzz in on their screen. The person that the moderator sees first is not protestable.
  • Teams will have 8 seconds to confer on bonuses. Teams can confer via text, but you'll probably prefer voice. You'll want to have a pair of headphones with a mic to best hear your team--if at all possible, don't just rely on your laptop mic.
  • Although we'll try to be as clear as we can, the moderators are not responsible for your equipment working or not working.
Discord Notes
There are 6 voice channels on the Discord server, and one channel per round per room. Each team will be a permissions group that only has access to the text rounds and rooms they need. For each round, the moderator will give your team and the opposing team permission to connect to the proper voice channel.

While the moderator is reading the question, your mic should be muted. Use text to buzz in. You should unmute yourselves for the bonuses.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email, and I'll send out any corrections or things I missed. Staff, another email will be coming later tonight.

Please be prompt tomorrow morning. Thanks for playing EFT!
Alex D.
ACF

Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Thanks to everyone for playing, hope you enjoyed the set. A discussion forum will be up soon, but in the meantime please email me at tejascraje at gmail with any comments, criticism or feedback. Thanks again to Alex for running this and to all of the readers as well.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

The discussion forum for this set is now up.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

Who won this?
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

The winners were Don't Forget to Bring a Towel! (Stephen Liu, Jason Golfinos, Alex Schmidt, Peter Schmidt). Stats will be up on SQBS within a few days.

Also, I want to request again that anyone who played this tournament join the discussion forum and share your thoughts. The goal of this mirror was to get feedback from a variety of players in order to improve the set for the in-person mirrors starting this weekend, so please do that soon.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Thanks for your patience on stats! Echoing Tejas' call to join the private discussion forum...it's not a playtest mirror for nothin'. :smile:
Alex D.
ACF