NAQT Novice @ UChicago (10/13/18)

Old college threads.
On a lurgid bee
Lulu

NAQT Novice @ UChicago (10/13/18)

Post by On a lurgid bee »

The University of Chicago will be hosting a mirror of NAQT's Collegiate Novice (CNS-177C) set on Saturday, October 13th. I, Matthew Lehmann, will be directing the tournament.

Cost:
$15 per person

Discounts:
Buzzer systems with at least eight functional buzzers: -$5 each
Buzzer systems with fewer than eight buzzers: -$0 each
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles traveled one way
New Team: -$10/team if your school did not attend any tournaments in the 2016/17 year

Minimum fee is $35/team.

The field cap will begin at 12, with potential expansion if there is interest.

Please register by contacting me at mlehmann AT uchicago.edu.

Field updates will be edited in below as teams register:
Matthew Lehmann
Barrington High School '17
UChicago '21
WUSTL '24
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Re: NAQT Novice @ UChicago (10/13/18)

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

This may sound really strange, but is there any sort of etiquette about which players a school sends to CNS? Purdue wants to send two teams, but the discussion we've been having has been bothering me.

Basically, of the people who want to go, I'll split them into three categories, ranked based on what I perceive to be their eligibility:
1: Freshmen we've recruited (i.e. actual "collegiate novices")
2: Returning sophomores who either never played an academic tournament in the 2016-17 school year or did not put up significant scoring at the tournament they played (the latter group have never scored above ten points per game at a collegiate academic tournament)
3: Members of Purdue's SCT team (namely myself and John)

We obviously want to prioritize the experience of the new players, but since our roster is still fairly small, we may have to bolster their ranks. I just want to know the takes of more experienced members of the community wrt which players should really be playing this tournament, considering we're a relatively new school to the quiz bowl scene. Any feedback is appreciated!
Sarah Benner
Avon HS 2013-17, Purdue 2017-21
Unofficial QB Advisor for Purdue, Ohio State, and the State of Indiana

May refer to herself in the third person.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

We don't have a formal eligibility policy for our Collegiate Novice series. That being said, the set is intended for players with relatively limited experience of collegiate quizbowl. If you have questions about whether it would be appropriate for a particular player to compete this event, we suggest that you contact the tournament director to ask.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

It's Drew wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:08 pm This may sound really strange, but is there any sort of etiquette about which players a school sends to CNS? Purdue wants to send two teams, but the discussion we've been having has been bothering me.

Basically, of the people who want to go, I'll split them into three categories, ranked based on what I perceive to be their eligibility:
1: Freshmen we've recruited (i.e. actual "collegiate novices")
2: Returning sophomores who either never played an academic tournament in the 2016-17 school year or did not put up significant scoring at the tournament they played (the latter group have never scored above ten points per game at a collegiate academic tournament)
3: Members of Purdue's SCT team (namely myself and John)

We obviously want to prioritize the experience of the new players, but since our roster is still fairly small, we may have to bolster their ranks. I just want to know the takes of more experienced members of the community wrt which players should really be playing this tournament, considering we're a relatively new school to the quiz bowl scene. Any feedback is appreciated!
A couple years ago, Eric Xu posted a list of eligibility rules for his novice tournament. I and others I have talked to think these are good rules that novice tournaments should adopt generally:
Beevor Feevor wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:45 pm For the UVa mirror of Collegiate Novice this year, I unofficially used the VCU Novice eligibility rules from last year, which are adjusted ones from the EACN tournaments that Andrew Hart used to run.
1.All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.
2.This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.
(i) If you have ever finished in the top 20 in scoring at PACE NSC or top 35 in scoring at NAQT HSNCT, or played on a team that finished in the top 16 at NSC or t-21 at HSNCT.
(ii) If you ever lead a team in scoring that made it beyond the first round of the HSNCT playoffs, or lead a team in scoring that made the top playoff bracket of NSC [the last two years, this has been the top 24 teams].
(iii) If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
(iv) If you have ever won any college tournament.
5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.
Hopefully this is helpful.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
On a lurgid bee
Lulu

Post by On a lurgid bee »

This tournament did end up happening. Apologies to all teams attending for the logistical difficulties, it was my first tournament and I certainly could've performed better when some things went wrong.

Prelim stats are here: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/53 ... s/prelims/

SQBS mangled all of my files when I was trying to put in playoffs so I will deal with that and hopefully put up stats tomorrow. Purdue ended up winning the tournament after winning the first game of an advantaged final against Chicago E. I hope all teams that attended had a great time, and I hope to see you all around at tournaments at the future!
Matthew Lehmann
Barrington High School '17
UChicago '21
WUSTL '24