Kentucky State Quizbowl Championship (Louisville, 3/2/19)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Kentucky State Quizbowl Championship (Louisville, 3/2/19)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance is pleased to present the 2019 edition of the Kentucky State Quizbowl Championship, this year hosted on the campus of the University of Louisville on March 2, 2019. Ramapriya Rangaraju will be serving at tournament director for this event, with assistance from other members of KQBA and the UofL Quizbowl team.

Tournament Structure: This tournament will have a tentative cap of 24 teams, and therefore schools will be limited to registering their A and B teams until February 15. After that date, teams may register any additional teams. Depending on how many staffers are committed, the field size might increase with demand. Games will be the standard untimed NAQT format (two halves of 10 tossups each, bonuses as necessary, powers and negs in effect). The tournament itself will use a similar format to past NAQT state tournaments at Kentucky, Louisville, and WKU, with round robin preliminary and playoff pools and teams expected to play approximately 9 or 10 games.

Questions: IS-183

Fee Structure:
$80 per team
$10 discount per competent moderator provided (competent defined as somebody who can read one round of NAQT IS-set questions in 30 minutes or less)
$10 discount per working buzzer system
There is a minimum fee of $40. Teams who have never played a pyramidal quizbowl tournament automatically qualify for the minimum fee.

Checks should be made out to the Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance. Please note that this is distinct from "Kentucky Quizbowl," which is the quizbowl team at the University of Kentucky. If you cannot procure a check actually addressed to KQBA, cash will be accepted as well.

A few other things worth noting: there are several eating establishments (McDonalds, Taco Bell, the student center with a Wendy's, Chick-Fil-A, and Papa John's in it, Qdoba, Jimmy Johns, Home Run Burgers, and more) within walking distance of the Humanities Building. Staffers will be served pizza and drinks at lunch time. There will be trophies for the top four teams, and book prizes for the top scoring players.

Registration will be open soon on the NAQT website. I look forward to seeing Kentucky's quizbowl teams on March 2! If you have any questions or would like to staff, please email sephirothrr [at] gmail [dot] com
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Re: Kentucky State Quizbowl Championship (Louisville, 3/2/19)

Post by sephirothrr »

An email will be sent out shortly, but teams may now register for this tournament on the NAQT website at https://www.naqt.com/registration/field ... t_id=10117.
Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
sephirothrr

Post by sephirothrr »

the logistics email I sent out wrote: Hey guys, thanks for registering for the 2019 KY NAQT State Championship, this Saturday, March 2.

This is a guaranteed NAQT HSNCT qualifier, as well as a PACE NSC Platinum qualifier.

An important note is that this tournament will be held in a different building than usual.

Registration will begin around 8:30 in the auditorium (Room 109) of Davidson Hall, (located on H5 on the campus map - note that this is *NOT* the Bingham Humanities building). I plan to have a brief opening meeting around 8:45 and intend to start reading the first round at 9:00.

Right now, we have 16 teams signed up, so we'll have two morning brackets of 8, splitting again into two playoff brackets of 8 for four crossover games, for a total of 11 non-finals games.

Lunch will ideally be somewhere adjacent to the middle of the schedule, but that'll depend on how well the rounds go. The best places to go for lunch are the string of restaurants by Cardinal Towne (G3) or in the bottom floor of the SAC (if they're open on Saturday) (I6).

For parking, I recommend the red lot just north of the College of Business (H4) as it is free and should be open on weekends, and is barely a minute's walk from Davidson.

Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything of importance, but since realistically I probably have, do not hesitate to contact me either by email or by call/text to my personal cell at [redacted].

Campus map: http://louisville.edu/admissions/visit/campus-map
Ramapriya
University of Louisville
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
bigbluemist
Lulu

Post by bigbluemist »

Final stats?
Jim Reid
Glasgow
sephirothrr

Post by sephirothrr »

Apologies, the mistake preventing the other stat reports from showing up has been fixed.

http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/5494/
Ramapriya
University of Louisville
sephirothrr

Post by sephirothrr »

Update - the posted stats have a handful of errors that have been pointed out to me, those have been corrected and the stats now have a new home at
https://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament/s ... t_id=10117
Ramapriya
University of Louisville