NEGFIVE I @North Hollywood High (2/23/2019, Los Angeles)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rolee99
Kimahri

NEGFIVE I @North Hollywood High (2/23/2019, Los Angeles)

Post by rolee99 »

North Hollywood Quiz Bowl is pleased to announce our first ever NEGFIVE (NoHo Educated Guessing Fest on Incredibly Varied Education) on February 23, 2019, a high school quiz bowl tournament using the IS-182A set for JV and ATHENA II set for varsity.

Location: This tournament will take place at North Hollywood High School @ 5231 Colfax Ave, North Hollywood, CA 91601. Check-in will be outside HGM office in Kennedy Hall. Teams may enter through the Southwest gate at the intersection of Magnolia Boulevard and Morella Avenue. A detailed map of our campus and surrounding area can be found at NoHo.

Date: The tournament will take place on February 23, 2019. Check-in will begin at 8 AM and the first round will start promptly at 9AM.

Registration: Teams must register through this Google form. After registration, a confirmation email will be sent out. Tournament fees should be paid at the tournament with cash only. Registration is open now, and registration will close on February 22, 2019. Please submit rosters by February 20, 2019. There will be a 16 team field cap for each division. All other teams will be waitlisted. Field updates will be posted here.

Eligibility
All high school students are eligible to compete in the varsity division.
Students that scored 30 or under PPG in a varsity division, 50 or under in a JV division, OR 10 or under at high school nationals are eligible to compete in the JV division.
PACE NSC certification is to be determined.
Pricing:
Team 1: $90
Team 2+: $80

Discounts:
-$5 for each fully-functional buzzer system (must have at least four working buzzers on both sides)
-$10 for traveling distances over 100 miles, one-way, according to Google Maps
-$10 for each competent moderator that also provides their own laptop (Seek tournament director approval prior to registration)
-$10 for registering between February 5, 2019 and February 18, 2019.
-$50 (new school discount) for any school composed entirely of students that have not competed at a pyramidal quiz bowl tournament prior to the 2018–19 school year

Minimum fee: $40

Food: A light breakfast will be provided. For lunch, many eateries can be found within a 15-30 minute walk (Taco Bell, Popeye’s, Big Time Burgers, Firehouse Subs, Baja Fresh, etc). Pizza will be provided to all staffers.

Format: A round-robin preliminary in the morning will be followed by a round-robin playoff in the afternoon. Seedings in the individual sub-brackets will be determined by the overall win-loss record. Ties across brackets will be broken by average points per bonus and ties within brackets will be broken by average points per game. Standard NAQT/ACF rules will be followed with each untimed half consisting of 10 questions.

Prizes: Prizes will be awarded to both top teams and top individual scorers.

Inquiries: All inquiries can be sent to [email protected] or through Facebook (contact Ronen Lee).

Thank you!

Ronen Lee
Tournament Director
Last edited by rolee99 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronen Lee
North Hollywood '19
rolee99
Kimahri

Re: NEGFIVE I @North Hollywood High (2/23/2019, Los Angeles)

Post by rolee99 »

Reserved for field updates
Ronen Lee
North Hollywood '19
joshxu
Lulu

Re: NEGFIVE I @North Hollywood High (2/23/2019, Los Angeles)

Post by joshxu »

Hello Ronen,

The tournament is fast approaching, and I filled out the registration form a while ago but I have yet to receive any sort of confirmation. I have sent you an email--a reply when you see it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Josh

Update: Thanks Ronen!
Josh Xu

Santa Monica High School (Class of 2021, Captain, Team President)
UCLA (Class of 2025)