2019 PIANO/Minnesota Open at OSU (3/24/2019 - SUNDAY)

Old college threads.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

2019 PIANO/Minnesota Open at OSU (3/24/2019 - SUNDAY)

Post by DumbJaques »

After a protracted scheduling nightmare, OSU is pleased to announce a mirror of PIANO/Minnesota Open, which will take place on Sunday, March 24, 2019. This is an OPEN tournament, and will feature at least 3 of the top-10 ranked teams in the country, so we expect to draw a very solid field.

The tournament will take place at Enarson Classroom Building (specific meeting room TBA).

Entry Fees and Discounts:
Base Fee: $120 per team
Buzzers: -$5 per each working buzzer system
Staffing: -$15 per approved staffer
Travel Discount: -$15 per 200 miles traveled

Payment must be made on the day of the tournament either by cash or check only. Please make checks out to "The Academic Team at the Ohio State University."

Question Set:
Information on the set can be found here: http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21685

Transportation and Parking: The best place to park on campus is almost certainly either the Tuttle Park Garage (2050 Tuttle Park Place), or the football stadium lot across the street. Note that these locations are paid parking, even on Saturdays (though the rates should not exceed ~$12 for the day). A backup option is the Lane Avenue Garage (2105 Neil Ave). There is free street parking around campus, but this is far from guaranteed on Saturday mornings, and I *strongly* discourage you from attempting to find it unless you know the area quite well.

To register, please email me at [email protected].

FIELD:
OSU A
Columbia A
Michigan State (1+?)
Kenyon
Illinois
Wright State
Teitler-Laferbrook
Michigan
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: 2019 PIANO/Minnesota Open at OSU (3/24/2019 - SUNDAY)

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Just drawing attention to the fact that Columbia A is indeed flying to this because it's the only PIANO date that our whole team can play, and if MSU and Chicago can be roped in there's suddenly a crazy strong pre-nats field, so I'm gonna need you all to FREE YOUR MINDS about a Sunday event and sign up!
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:36 pm Just drawing attention to the fact that Columbia A is indeed flying to this because it's the only PIANO date that our whole team can play, and if MSU and Chicago can be roped in this there's suddenly a crazy strong pre-nats field, so I'm gonna need you all to FREE YOUR MINDS about a Sunday event and sign up!
We plan to attend this site and look forward to playing a lot of other good teams!
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

An Economic Ignoramus wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:00 pm
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:36 pm Just drawing attention to the fact that Columbia A is indeed flying to this because it's the only PIANO date that our whole team can play, and if MSU and Chicago can be roped in this there's suddenly a crazy strong pre-nats field, so I'm gonna need you all to FREE YOUR MINDS about a Sunday event and sign up!
We plan to attend this site and look forward to playing a lot of other good teams!
We actually couldn't even attend this on Saturday given our ILLIAC mirror. So this works out better for Illinois.
Michael Etzkorn
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy '16
UIUC '21
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Update: This field is now pretty dope! Make sure you register ASAP to ensure we have enough space.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

Is the Chicago B registered here the same Chicago B that's playing this at Hopkins two weeks prior, did Chicago drop their second team from the Hopkins mirror and that post just hasn't been updated, is the second Chicago team at Hopkins actually Chicago C, is "Chicago B" here a questionable open team name, or is some other alternative the case?
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Milhouse wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:38 am Is the Chicago B registered here the same Chicago B that's playing this at Hopkins two weeks prior, did Chicago drop their second team from the Hopkins mirror and that post just hasn't been updated, is the second Chicago team at Hopkins actually Chicago C, is "Chicago B" here a questionable open team name, or is some other alternative the case?
Option E; the two teams we are sending to JHU are our ACF Nationals A and B teams, and any teams being sent here will be drawing from a non-overlapping pool.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

but isnt that not chicago b then
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Milhouse wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:17 pm but isnt that not chicago b then
Yes. Chris likely marked it as such, not realizing B would be somewhere else. This will be resolved before the tournament. In the meantime, I am sure you will survive the disarray this confusion has thrown you into.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

We're planning on running Guerilla History at this event. The two options are immediately after the tournament Sunday, or sometime Saturday evening (before the party). My preference is probably for the latter, on the assumption people will want to get home sooner on Sunday night, but drop me a line to let me know what preferences are.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
halle
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by halle »

It appears that Chicago will not be sending a team to this mirror after all (although I do not speak for the club and this should not necessarily be taken as an official announcement that Chicago won't be there; presumably someone will reach out and cancel the team's registration sometime soon). On that note, I would be incredibly interested in joining an open team. I know a lot of visual arts things, a decent amount of lit things, and sometimes even some other things! I'd be happy to join up with other free agents or to join a team from a school that's only planning on sending two or three people, just let me know if you're interested.
Halle Friedman
Chicago 2020
NYU 2023
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

After hearing back from folks, it sounds like the preferred slot for Guerrilla History is Sunday evening after the event (I was surprised too!). So, that's when we'll run it. We'll try to keep a tight schedule on Sunday to keep things moving.

Needless to say, if you're not listed in the field right now but you plan on playing the tournament, emailing me is *strongly* recommended!
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Logistics post:

The tournament will take place in Enarson Classroom Building (Room 238 will host the morning meeting). Please arrive by 8:45 at the latest - we will plan to stsrt at 9:00.

We've got 8 teams registered, so we'll almost certainly play a RR and then split 4 and 4 for playoffs (for a total of 10 rounds). Guerrilla history will follow the tournament.

Please shoot me rosters ahead of time, to facilitate STAAAAAATS.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Control/morning meeting room is now 214.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE