HSNCT Open Mirror at Toronto (June 22-23, 2019)

Old college threads.
everdiso
Wakka

HSNCT Open Mirror at Toronto (June 22-23, 2019)

Post by everdiso »

The University of Toronto will be hosting a mirror of the 2019 H.​S.​N.​C.​T.​ set on the weekend of June 22nd - 23rd, 2019. This is a high school nationals-level tournament, comparable in difficulty to A​.C​.F​. Fall but written in the N​.A​.Q​.T​. style. This tournament will take place on the first floor of Sidney Smith Hall on U of T's St. George campus. There will be two separate tournaments, one on Saturday and one on Sunday, played on the two halves of the set.

Logistics

The tournament will be held at Sidney Smith Hall, which is at 100 St. George Street, slightly south of the intersection of St. George and Harbord, on the western side of St. George. In a change from past tournaments in this building, the tournament will take place on the first floor, and the control room will be 1069. This room, as well as all of the rooms in which we'll be playing, can be found by turning left upon entering from the St. George side, or by turning right after entering from the Huron side.

The Saturday tournament will begin at 10:00 a.m. and the Sunday tournament at 9:00 a.m.. All players should arrive in the control room by 9:45 on Saturday and 8:45 on Sunday, or 5 minutes earlier if they will be paying by cash. Delays with payment are one of the most common sources of tournament delays, so please be on time. In addition, staffers or any players bringing a buzzer set should arrive 30 minutes before start time on each day. If players arrive late, the tournament will start without them and they will miss part of it, even if this means reading questions to empty desks.

Prices and Payment

Base price: $120 ($80 if all of the players on the team are still in high school as of 2018-2019)
Buzzer discount: $10
Second-day price: $60 for a team to play the Sunday tournament if the exact same team also played on Saturday. This cannot be combined with any other discounts for Sunday. ($40 if all of the players on the team are still in high school as of 2018-2019.)
Staffing discount: $20 for each player on your team who staffs the other day of the tournament.
Penalty: $10 will be added to your price if you sign up to bring a buzzer set but you do not bring it, you bring it but it doesn't work or you bring it late. This penalty wipes out your buzzer discount and then adds $10 to the original price. This will not apply if you let me know beforehand (this does not mean the morning of or night before) that you won't be bringing them, or if there's a legitimate reason (such as a car accident breaking the buzzers).

In addition, staffers will get $15 of lunch money iff they show up 30 minutes before start time and on time at the end of lunch. This does not apply if the staffer is playing on the other day and receiving the above $20 discount on that day.

Registration

This tournament is completely open, meaning that anyone can play with anyone else on any team (although the high school discount does depend on team compostion). To register, message me on Facebook or email me at either [email protected] or [email protected]. Include your team roster (this can be changed after your initial registration, I just want at least one name to start) and any discounts you might qualify for in the email or message. The registration deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, June 16th. Teams can still sign up after this time, but they would need my permission to do so: I will accept all registrations before this time but reserve the right to decline ones sent after it.

The field is currently capped at 12 teams due to lack of staffers. The ultimate field cap, imposed by number of rooms/formatting, is 16; hopefully we can get enough staffers to make that a possibility.

Field

Saturday
600lbs18’2” (Daniel Lovsted, Erik Christensen, Joe "Joe Su" Su)
Aaron dos Remedios, Sky Li, Zhongtian Wang
Aayush Rajasekaran
Ben Hillier-Weltman, Kanav Petkar, Lauren Hankins, Nick Sunderland
Carleton (David Simon, Ian Dewan, Jerry Chow)
Colin Veevers, Gareth Thorlakson
Đại Hộc Mấc Ma Tơ (Brian Luong, Leslie "Joe Su" Newcombe, Raymond Chen)
Henry Atkins, Jack Guo, Sam Zhou
U.T.S. (Jerry Wang, Oliver Weizel +2)
U.T.S. Classics (Cole Jackes, Marcus Forbes-Green, Shuli Jones, Zhenglin Liu)
Westmount-ish (Amy Wang, Lucas Smith, Phillip Darley)

Sunday
600lbs18’2” (Daniel Lovsted, Erik Christensen, Joe "Joe Su" Su)
Aaron dos Remedios, Chris Stims, Sky Li, Zhongtian Wang
Aayush Rajasekaran
Ben Hillier-Weltman, Kanav Petkar, Lauren Hankins, Nick Sunderland
Carleton (David Simon, Ian Dewan, Jerry Chow)
Cole Jackes, Rein Otsason, Shuli Jones
Colin Veevers, Gareth Thorlakson
Đại Hộc Mấc Ma Tơ (Brian Luong, Leslie "Joe Su" Newcombe, Raymond Chen)
Henry Atkins, Jack Geo, Sam Zhou
U.T.S. (Jerry Wang +)
Westmount-ish (Amy Wang, Lucas Smith, Phillip Darley)
Zarf (Fraser SImpson, John Colterman)

Comment in this thread, message me or email me if you have any questions. I hope to see many of you there!
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020