Why College Outreach Fails (1 of 3)

A place to discuss topics affecting quizbowlers as a community rather than quizbowl as a game.
username_crisis_averted
Lulu

Why College Outreach Fails (1 of 3)

Post by username_crisis_averted »

Intro

In December 2020, quizbowl at the University of Washington was on the brink of collapse. While tournament attendance was solid, the club was inexperienced and lacked domain knowledge. When the club president unexpectedly stepped down, it seemed like our club might not have enough momentum to continue. In an alternate timeline, our club may have gone dark for a bit, just waiting for the next motivated player to come around and bring things back to life.

This is a common story in college quizbowl clubs. A team is rejuvenated when a motivated community member enters, only for it to decline when they leave. This is not as much of an issue for established quizbowl clubs, since they can rely on a steady stream of motivated players and the inertia of a long-standing club structure. But for clubs that are just getting started and may not have those advantages, this stop-and-start dynamic presents a real problem. Why is this the story of so many new clubs, despite continued efforts to address it? In other words:

Why has recent college outreach failed to create more long-lasting clubs?

This is the Big Question of this series of posts, and I will be referring back to it frequently. I will answer it by looking at five other key questions:

1. How do we get more college clubs to develop their own quizbowl communities?
2. Why has high school outreach been more successful than college outreach?
3. How do we pitch quizbowl more effectively to people outside of quizbowl?
4. How do we encourage new recruits to stay in quizbowl?
5. How do we ensure continuous effective club leadership?

Now UW is not a perfect quizbowl club, and we haven’t always followed our own guidance! But given our recent success, I would like to use UW as n example to demonstrate what effective club longevity looks like.

A Tale of Two Clubs

My short answer to the Big Question is that we get ahead of ourselves. The question we pose in outreach is often:
How do we get more colleges to contribute to the quizbowl community?

But the question we really should be posing is Question 1:
How do we get more colleges to develop their own quizbowl community?

I use "contribute" to mean sending teams to major tournaments, writing packets, and hosting things for the circuit. I use "their own quizbowl community" to mean a community that exists for its own sake, not just in relation to greater quizbowl. These goals are not mutually exclusive, but pursuit of the former can interfere with pursuit of the latter. As a case study, let’s return to UW before December 2020.

By most metrics, UW’s club was doing great. We sent multiple teams to the major tournaments. We started an ACF Winter packet. We scheduled the next edition of our high school tournament. From the outside, it looked like UW was doing everything right. We were certainly contributing!

But inside the club, it was a different story. We had a club that was primarily sustained by a single person: the president. Besides the president, there was very little knowledge about how the club operated and what it took to keep the lights on. In fact, almost no club operations were handled by someone other than the president. Club members were interested but not deeply engaged. Practice attendance was fine but not fabulous. While internal indicators were not yet at a crisis point, they did not paint the rosy picture that you would see as an outsider.

So in 2020 UW, we see a club that is meeting the first goal but struggling to meet the second. It’s contributing, but it’s not all that much of a community. The problem here is that the labor spent on contributing was labor that might have been better spent on community building at home. Ultimately, contribution and community are different levels on a club’s hierarchy of needs. A club can contribute with a minimal community for a while, and many do. We love to have those types of clubs around, and they certainly help the community in the short term! However, a club cannot stay healthy long-term without a strong community foundation.

To see an example of the opposite type of club, we can look at 2021 UW. UW sent less teams to tournaments than in 2020, we let our high school tournament lapse, and we didn’t work on any ACF packets. But internally, the club was flourishing. Club membership had nearly tripled since 2020. Engagement with the social scene of the club was high. And while we only sent four people to the official ACF Fall mirror, we hosted our own scrimmage of ACF Fall that attracted 28 participants. Even though the club may have looked like it was declining from the outside, we were much better positioned for longevity.

Both community contribution and internal community are important! But if you focus on contribution first, then you’re putting the cart before the horse. An independently flourishing quizbowl community is not just helpful but necessary for long term contribution.

At UW, we were uniquely suited to make this observation. Because there was no local scene for us to plug into, we had no choice but to focus on ourselves. Without the excitement of the circuit, we had less opportunities, but we were also able to focus on what matters most. (Later in this series, we’ll look at Question 2 from a more solutions-oriented angle.)

Teachers and Advisors

But this still doesn’t fully answer the Big Question. First of all, it’s not like internal community is completely neglected. Even if internal community is not a priority, club leaders are forced to put some effort in (lest the club become completely abandoned). But more importantly, if a lack of independent community is what dooms college quizbowl clubs, wouldn’t we expect HS clubs to fail in the same way? The outreach techniques in college are not all that different from the ones used in high school, but high school outreach has been far more successful. This brings us to Question 2: Why has high school outreach been more successful than college outreach?

Many argue that the answer is continuity. Most high school clubs have a semi-permanent teacher sponsor. Most college clubs do not benefit from a advisor like our own Mike Bentley. As a result, college clubs experience 100% turnover every four years, unlike high school clubs. When clubs don’t have anyone to preserve knowledge + structure, it is harder to keep things going.

College advisors can and do kickstart the rejuvenation of a club, and they make it less likely for a club to go dormant in the first place. So the answer (according to some) is to post more permanent quizbowl advisors at various schools.

I think this is the wrong way to go about it. First of all, most college clubs (non-quizbowl) work fine without a club advisor to keep them together. But this also saddles the advisor with way too much responsibility. Student-run clubs are supposed to be student-run! Sure, an advisor can be invaluable in helping a team get started. But if their continued presence is needed to sustain the club, then that indicates a fundamental problem with how the club is run. Of course quizbowl as a community should be willing to step in and support sagging clubs for mutual benefit, but clubs should also exist for their own sake.

The college / HS disparity is less about the continuity itself and more about the problems solved by outsourcing club leadership to a teacher. When a student or advisor runs a club, they’re usually flying blind. Not only do they have to learn how to run things behind the scenes, but they also have to learn how to curate their own community. (I use the term “curate” rather than "build" because it does a better job of capturing the part of the task that matters most. More on that in Part II.)

We talk about the first skill a lot; the key thrust of the advisor argument is that you need someone who can retain the institutional knowledge necessary to keep things going. But we don't talk about the second skill as much. And that second skill is where teachers shine, because they are experts at community curation. Not only do they have the experience of maintaining a community inside of their own classrooms, but they can also draw from the experiences of other teachers with clubs (if not their own experiences). Plus, teachers have far more incentive to focus on the vibes of their club because it affects how students view them. If a teacher is known for hosting a fun and welcoming club, then they’re more likely to be thought of as a fun and welcoming teacher. So even if a motivated student is running things behind the scenes, quizbowl clubs benefit just from having a teacher as a front-facing representative. (Not to mention the fact that teachers have a constant pool of their own students to recruit from.) My answer to Question 2 is that college clubs are less equipped to establish a strong community. I’ll look at this hypothesis more closely in Part II.

In contrast, club advisors don’t have the experience of running their own classrooms, they aren’t given a set of shared norms for hosting a club, and they have comparatively less institutional knowledge (just because of the sheer scale of a university). Sure, high school quizbowl clubs are made possible largely due to teacher involvement, but the role of a high school teacher is not necessarily one that a club advisor can fill.

Plus, even if a club advisor can fill the role of a teacher, it’s not clear that they should. College is all about becoming independent; ideally college students shouldn’t need an advisor to guide them. The more club advisors take charge of things, the less students feel connected to the operations of the club. We should see the “strong club advisor” model as a stepping stone to a healthy club state, not an end state to aspire to.

The Community Needs to Pass Down More Knowledge

Stepping in to fill the role of teachers as community builders is a difficult topic that will be covered more extensively later in the series. But the “retaining institutional knowledge” part is easier to fix. Members just need to actively pass down more knowledge that they gain from running the club.

At new clubs, we put hours and hours into writing, but how much effort do we put into pitching writing to new members? Or on a meta level, how much effort do we ensure that a club writing tradition is established for the future? How much effort do we put into finding successors? How much effort do we put into recording the steps we’ve taken as a club to make sure that our successors don’t make the same mistakes?

So many dead quizbowl clubs are ghosts. They vanish from the scene, not leaving anything behind. Out of the dead PNW clubs (Gonzaga, Whitman, and Washington State), none of them have so much as an old website, let alone public resources for running a club. There might have been knowledge privately passed down that I don’t know about, but I doubt it. If we don’t prepare the ground for the people after us, how can we expect them to succeed?

In addition, the public resources that do exist for quizbowl leaders are scattered across several hard-to-navigate websites. On the “Best of the Best” section of these (admittedly intimidating) forums, I see just one post about running a college club. I’m sure there are other resources out there, and it would be great if these could be more accessible to people who aren’t as plugged in to the community! I’ve done my best to collect some of these resources on our club website, and it would be great to see other clubs do the same.

Of course, this is not trivial! Putting together resources is tough, and there are many priorities to juggle when it comes to running a club. But making sure that your club continues eventually has to become one of those top concerns. When people ask for advice on starting or continuing a quizbowl club, we should have plenty of resources to direct them towards. If we as a community put ~20% more effort into preserving our knowledge about running clubs for the next generation, that in itself would pay huge dividends.

In the rest of this series, I’ll pass down some of my knowledge about that other problem: actually building a flourishing quizbowl community. There’s a lot to unpack from my time at UW, so I’ll start from the top in my next post: Why College Recruiting Fails.

Key Takeaways
  • Often, an emphasis on contributing to the quizbowl community overshadows the community-building work that needs to be done at home. An independently flourishing quizbowl community is not just helpful but necessary for long term contribution to the greater community.
  • College clubs fail where high school clubs do not because they are less equipped to establish a strong community. One of the reasons for this is that teachers are unusually well-suited for the task.
  • We should see the “strong club advisor” model as a stepping stone to a healthy club state, not an end state to aspire to.
  • The amount of resources for new club leaders is not enough to meet community need. Internally, clubs need to pass on more knowledge to the next generation (ideally while the old guard is still in charge of things). Externally, the community need to do a better job of making online resources easier to find + navigate.
Thanks for reading, and I hope you got something out of this post! I'll hopefully be back next week with Part II.
Last edited by username_crisis_averted on Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Kodama
University of Washington '23
cchiego
Yuna

Re: Why College Outreach Fails (1 of 3)

Post by cchiego »

This is an interesting post and I'm glad to see more discussion about college-level outreach here on the forum! I agree with the part of the post about the need to establish a strong team community and work to improve that rather than focusing too much on the "broader" quizbowl community. That said, I'm not sure that even a strong team community is sufficient to overcome the relentless graduation pressures for many teams, especially those in areas without a strong high school circuit.
Why has high school outreach been more successful than college outreach?
I think there's a two-part answer to this question:
1) there are simply many, many more high schools in the US in a wider variety of places and of varying levels, which increases the chances of having some kind of team in an area of 20 high schools that might have 1 college in the same area.
2) the impact of aggregation from the high school quizbowl level to the collegiate quizbowl level. Put simply, most of the best players at the high school level end up at a very narrow range of colleges overall, which tends to benefit the (relatively, compared to the total number of colleges) few college teams that get them and makes it very hard for other schools to break through.

To take one example, look at the University of California system and the NAQT entering first-year contact list for the last 4 years. Here are the destinations for all the graduating seniors in that database:
UCB: 56
UCLA: 33
UCSD: 23
UCD: 12
UCI: 7
UCSC: 6
UCSB: 4
UCR: 1
UCM: 0

Not surprisingly, UCB tends to have a large, thriving quizbowl club that is by far the largest in the state and one of the largest in the nation. UCLA and UCSD also have had active clubs, though it is interesting that UCSD seems to have done a bit better than UCLA (this could be a place where team community matters, but also SD has a much more active local HS quizbowl scene than LA). After that, there's very little consistent involvement by the other schools (and we're not even talking here about the Cal State system that has rarely, if ever, seen a school with a team) outside of some short-term periods of clubs at other UCs that have tended to die out fairly quickly. And when some of these other UCs do establish teams and try to come compete, they tend to struggle due in part to the effects of aggregation. So even if you could set up the best possible internal team culture at one of these schools, they'll always have recruitment challenges and will usually be facing very strong teams from other schools on a year-to-year basis.

This all makes college-level outreach much harder outside of flagship state schools and highly-ranked private schools that don't get a large number of the most-committed high schooler quizbowlers each year. It's not impossible (and I would love to hear from players/alumni of schools that don't get a lot of experienced high school players yet have established strong team cultures and have persisted for many years), but it's much more challenging. One logical low-hanging fruit area to focus then on for college-level outreach is on flagship state schools in areas with busy high school circuits, which is why the recent addition of the University of Nebraska to the circuit and recent appearances by Kansas and Arkansas are all very encouraging.

That all said, I think the presence of a long-term advisor at a school could help with this, which is why I was somewhat surprised to see the generally negative view of advisors.
First of all, most college clubs (non-quizbowl) work fine without a club advisor to keep them together.
I think this is a classic issue of survivorship bias. The existing clubs that do last year-to-year may be mostly student-run, but there are hundreds (if not thousands) of potential college quizbowl teams that do not exist, but might do so if they had a dedicated advisor to help.
Student-run clubs are supposed to be student-run! Sure, an advisor can be invaluable in helping a team get started. But if their continued presence is needed to sustain the club, then that indicates a fundamental problem with how the club is run. Of course quizbowl as a community should be willing to step in and support sagging clubs for mutual benefit, but clubs should also exist for their own sake.
I don't think that the need for an advisor indicates a "fundamental problem" for a club. If the advisor is literally doing everything or is actively driving away prospective members, then yes that might well be a problem. But having an advisor who's active can be invaluable in passing on institutional information and acting as a focal point for recruitment and a lasting point-of-contact after each year's officers graduate. Instead of needing to constantly update websites and contact information, this one person can be a consistent source of information for interested players and a very valuable source of institutional knowledge that a static document would not be able to capture.

Also, I don't think that having the quizbowl community as a whole be responsible for internal club affairs would be a good idea. From what I've seen, its very hard even for neighboring clubs to stay in touch with other clubs amid leadership turnover and there are many aspects that are unique to schools in terms of paperwork, reservations, policies, etc. It makes a lot more sense to have a long-term advisor who knows this kind of information and can help pass it on directly rather than saddle the quizbowl community with a responsibility that seems like a prime candidate for a collective action problem as well as informational asymmetries.
In contrast, club advisors don’t have the experience of running their own classrooms, they aren’t given a set of shared norms for hosting a club, and they have comparatively less institutional knowledge (just because of the sheer scale of a university).
I don't understand this statement. Many of the best college team advisors like Chris Borglum at Valencia and Michael Joy at Northern Michigan absolutely have tons of experience teaching. Maybe it's harder for outside advisors who aren't professors, but that doesn't' seem to be very common from what I've seen. If anything, it would be great to have more involved professor/advisors who can work together to share best practices and encourage teams at more places. Advisors are also excellent at obtaining more institutional recognition and resources, including funding (since such requests often need to be sent in well in advance of usage), which can be very useful for facilitating club activities.
At new clubs, we put hours and hours into writing, but how much effort do we put into pitching writing to new members? Or on a meta level, how much effort do we ensure that a club writing tradition is established for the future? How much effort do we put into finding successors? How much effort do we put into recording the steps we’ve taken as a club to make sure that our successors don’t make the same mistakes?
I think this is great! The problem is even the best-laid plans can be gutted due to graduation. I have seen a number of teams with very active leaders who prepared well for succession, but once they left things just went off the rails or slowly dissolved. Graduation of a star player or three can also make it much harder for a team to compete in future years as well and also see the loss of a huge amount of knowledge and experience that can make a big difference at practices.
Out of the dead PNW clubs (Gonzaga, Whitman, and Washington State), none of them have so much as an old website, let alone public resources for running a club.
It would be great if there were resources available, but even if a student at one of those schools could find such a website it's unlikely that it would contain up-to-date procedures on how to successfully get a team started. It's just very hard to know who to get in touch with at each school, and student activities people generally do not seem to have quizbowl as a priority for activities like Model UN or Speech and Debate. Plus, policies vary a lot by school, so it's hard to tell interested people exactly what to do if you aren't familiar with a school's specific policies.

Finally, one of the big issues is the chicken-and-egg nature of needing club recognition to get resources like a buzzer or room reservations or access to listservs, but not being able to get club recognition until you have a group of dedicated people willing to play quizbowl. This is where having a lot of high school recruits can really help, especially in reviving clubs that might have fallen on hard times.
Externally, the community need to do a better job of making online resources easier to find + navigate.
Fully agree with this! FWIW we put together a pretty comprehensive guide to starting up a college quizbowl team at GPQB, that anyone is welcome to use.

Looking forward to the additional threads in this overall discussion and perhaps more on the specific steps that teams can take to successfully pass on institutional knowledge.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think advisors are great, but it is probably somewhat difficult to find a dedicated advisor who really has a passion for quizbowl. It could be a huge timesink for a lot of faculty members, I suppose, although there is a wide range in how much participation a faculty member/advisor demonstrates.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
username_crisis_averted
Lulu

Post by username_crisis_averted »

Thanks for the response! I just wanted to clarify a few points.

1) When I said most existing clubs operate fine without advisors, I was referring to student clubs in general, not quizbowl clubs.

2) I do think club advisors can still play a valuable role in a club. For example, being a consistent source of information and a source of institutional knowledge, like you mentioned, are very useful niches for a club advisor to fill. This is a thing that I'm very happy to have in our own club! That being said, I stand by the point that it is bad if a club advisor's departure (or any single person's departure, for that matter) leads to the end of that club. I look at the other successful (again, non-quizbowl) clubs at our university and they appear to be self-sustaining without outside help. Setting up the club for a changing of the guard is just part of being in leadership, and I'd like to see more discussion of that in quizbowl. Rather than seeing "needing to constantly update websites and contact information" as a chore, I see it as important maintenance that reinforces the responsibility that active members have to their club.

3) I do not think that the college quizbowl community should "be responsible for internal club affairs"; rather, I'd like to see more of a record-keeping culture and more places for new club leaders to go in search of ideas + support. I'd imagine that many difficulties in starting a club have been encountered by people who have tried to start a quizbowl club previously and that those people would have a lot to say about it. On the internal side of things, I'd just like to see club members pass down more information directly to the next generation.

4) I don't think a lack of community is the only reason that high school outreach has been more successful, but it's the one that I'm choosing to focus on in the post (for reasons that will hopefully become clear later). FWIW, my own university only had 8 graduating seniors in the NAQT entering contact list from the past four years, and only one of those people are on the team this year. So I'm not totally convinced that demographics are destiny! I'm glad you brought up UCSD, because I plan to talk about their club a bit in the next post.

In retrospect, it may have been unnecessary to frame some of the stuff in this post in opposition to an advisor-based model. (For example, I did not realize that many club advisors have extensive classroom experience.) I don't know that much about advisor-based clubs in practice, and I'm not trying to denigrate what they've been able to accomplish. What I do know (and maybe this is just a flagship university thing) is that no other clubs that I'm familiar with at my university have this sort of arrangement. Clubs enlist the help of non-students on occasion, but none of these clubs have a non-student in charge of recruitment or anything like that. I'm just puzzled that the go-to solution for college outreach discussions nowadays involves making student-led clubs less student-led. In pointing out the limitations of the club advisor model, I hope to broaden the conversation about college outreach and get people talking about what factors beyond an advisor contribute to club longevity.
Kevin Kodama
University of Washington '23