EMIT III (11/4/23) Eastern Montgomery High School (Elliston, VA) IS-222/MS-48

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
mithokie
Rikku

EMIT III (11/4/23) Eastern Montgomery High School (Elliston, VA) IS-222/MS-48

Post by mithokie »

I am happy to announce the third annual Eastern Montgomery Invitational Tournament (EMIT III) to take place at Eastern Montgomery High School in beautiful Elliston, VA on Saturday November 4, 2023. The school is easy to access from Interstate 81. Traveling from the south, the school is located at the only stop light on U.S. 460, 10 miles North from Exit 118. Traveling from the north the school is located 6 miles south on U.S. 460 from Exit 132.

AFFILIATION: The high school division of this tournament is an NAQT qualifier for both SSNCT and HSNCT, as such the top 15% (plus ties; rounded up) of the field will qualify for the HSNCT in Atlanta, GA. More details about HSNCT qualification can be found here: HSNCT qualification
Eligible schools may qualify for SSNCT in Chicago, IL through the process outlined here: SSNCT Qualification
We have not yet received affiliation with PACE-NSC. We anticipate that we would likely receive gold or platinum status with PACE. If this does indeed occur, we would then qualify 20%-25% of the field for the 2024 PACE-NSC in a yet to be determined location. PACE-NSC qualifications.
Teams that fall within the Blue Ridge Academic League (BRAL) footprint will earn points towards their schools and players earning sweepstakes awards at the end of the season. The BRAL footprint is defined as the counties of Alleghany, Bath, Bedford, Botetourt, Campbell, Craig, Floyd, Franklin, Halifax, Henry, Montgomery, Patrick. Pulaski, Roanoke, Rockbridge and the cities of Bedford, Buena Vista, Covington, Danville, Lexington, Lynchburg, Martinsville, Radford, Roanoke, and Salem. BRAL Schedule

The middle school division of this tournament is an NAQT qualifier for MSNCT, as such the top 15% (plus ties; rounded up) of the field will qualify for the MSNCT in Rosemont, IL. More details about MSNCT qualification can be found here: MSNCT qualification

QUESTIONS: The question set for the high school division of this tournament is the NAQT regular set IS-222. The question set for the middle school division of this tournament is the NAQT middle school set MS-48.It is the responsibility of each team in attendance to ensure that it has not been to another tournament where it would have already heard this question set.

FORMAT: Our initial field cap is 12 teams for each division but we reserve the right to expand the field should our staff and physical resources allow. We are going to guarantee seven rounds of competition for everyone, with a target of 8-10 matches for all teams. Trophies will be given to the top three teams and we usually award the top ten individuals with some sort of prize. If there are not enough teams in one division or the other to make that portion of the tournament financially viable, we reserve the right to cancel one division.

REGISTRATION AND FEES:
-The fee structure is as follows:
Base fee: $80 per team. There is no limit to the number of teams who can attend from one school.
Buzzer discount: $5 off school's total fee for each fully functional system (control box and eight activators all work; max of 2 buzzer systems)
Staff discount: $15 off Teams providing an experienced quizmaster or scorekeeper to work the tournament can receive this discount if the name and email contact of the worker is provided to me no later than Friday October 27, 2023. This discount will be provided on an as-needed basis.
Travel discount: $15 off school's total fee if you have to travel more than 150 miles one way as determined by Google Maps.
Welcome back to quizbowl discount: Teams that have not attended a non-VHSL competition in person since March 2020 are eligible for a discount of $25 off of their first team.
Minimum fee: Discounts can be stacked to bring a team’s fee down to $0.
To Register: Use the NAQT Tournament Registration System:

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, up to four of whom may play at one time. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If you bring more than six players, you must register a second team to have all of them play. There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day-no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may also play shorthanded with only three players.

FOOD: Concessions will be available for breakfast, snack, and lunch items. While I encourage teams to take advantage of the concessions, I cannot guarantee the availability of vegetarian options at the concessions as I am not in charge of their operation. As we are not conveniently located close to fast food restaurants, I encourage you to pack lunch in if you do not wish to purchase the concessions lunch.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact Matt Beeken at [email protected] . We look forward to seeing you all here.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
mithokie
Rikku

Re: EMIT III (11/4/23) Eastern Montgomery High School (Elliston, VA) IS-222/MS-48

Post by mithokie »

Due to a lack of sufficient interest at this time, we have decided to cancel the middle school division of this tournament.

Can a moderator please remove this post from the middle school section of the boards. Thanks!
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: EMIT III (11/4/23) Eastern Montgomery High School (Elliston, VA) IS-222/MS-48

Post by Important Bird Area »

Done.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred