On Buzzer Techniques

This forum is for discussing tournament formats, question styles, strategy, and such.
quizbowlchamp1
Lulu

On Buzzer Techniques

Post by quizbowlchamp1 »

Does anyone have good buzzer techniques? I buzzer prime combined with a technique pioneered by Jeopardy! legend James Holzhauer. He crosses his arms and grabs the wrist he is buzzing with. This cuts your buzzer speed in half. If anyone has a better buzzer technique, please let me know.
Last edited by quizbowlchamp1 on Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ McGlaughn
7th Grade
Rainbow Middle School (2022-present)
Southside High School (2023-present)
2023 MSNCT Rising Star
Alabama State Champion 2024
NotAiden
Lulu

Re: On Buzzer Techniques

Post by NotAiden »

dan ni shoots me in the ankle every time I lose a buzzer race
Aiden Dartley
Ridgewood High School '22
Rutgers '26
joshxu
Wakka

Post by joshxu »

A trick to winning buzzer races is to buzz earlier, not faster. Most players first hear a clue they recognize, and then they buzz. Instead of doing this, you should buzz first, and then hear a clue you recognize. In essence, even though you don't know the answer when you buzz, you're overwhelmingly confident that you'll know it by the time the moderator stops reading. A concrete example: tossup is asking for a country, and you hear "this country has its capital at..."; buzz immediately if you know all or almost all of the world capitals; in the time it takes for the mod to recognize your buzz, they will have read the name of the capital. A product of winning more buzzer races is that you will get more questions wrong, which will happen quite often if you utilize this strategy too liberally.
Josh Xu

Santa Monica High School (Class of 2021, Captain, Team President)
UCLA (Class of 2025)
cemeterysummoning
Lulu

Post by cemeterysummoning »

watch 7O3X
ace chun
they/he
mbhs '24
mit '28
THERAPY
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

There's really not more to it than priming a bit. When playing middle school level questions it might be a bit more important for speed but Josh's general advice about just learning more at the end of the day is probably the most imporatnt thing as it means you'll have an idea of what the question's looking for before the clues get too easy and be a bit more mentally prepared/sure of the other among other things
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
quizzical1
Lulu

Post by quizzical1 »

Some good buzzing techniques, as said before by a fellow collaborator, is buzzing mid-word. Also, something a lot of players I know struggle with is buzzer confidence. Powers and tens with a couple negs here and there are ok, but not buzzing at all is not. Remember the 80% rule, where if you are 80% sure, buzz. Also, if you are on the verge of knowing something, put your buzzer out to indicate to your teammates that this is your wheelhouse. Pressing the buzzer down instead of buzzing on and off will let you buzz before the other teams. On an unrelated note, how many people use buzzers that aren't always plungers, and which are generally better for buzzing?
Elliot L.
7th Grade
The Meadows School, NV
NAQT, IAC player
"Preparation is key"
Stats for my league at: lvqba.org
:party:
dni
Lulu

Post by dni »

It is important to keep the cord linking your buzzer to the central hub as straight as possible. This minimizes the distance the electrons have to travel, while also reducing their need to decelerate and change directions along tricky curved segments.
Dan Ni
Langley '19
Cornell '23
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

dni wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:34 pm It is important to keep the cord linking your buzzer to the central hub as straight as possible. This minimizes the distance the electrons have to travel, while also reducing their need to decelerate and change directions along tricky curved segments.
I also recommend making sure the buzzer is plugged in. Very rarely used gamer trick
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016