Penn Bowl 2023

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Penn Bowl 2023

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

Hello! I am excited to announce the 2023 iteration of Penn Bowl, currently scheduled to be played in its usual slot of late October. The set will be co-head edited by myself, Emmett Laurie, and Noah Sheidlower, and will be written by the Penn Quizbowl team and the smattering of variously affiliated editors. The logistics will be handled by the set coordinators, Talia Coopersmith and Vishal Kanigicherla.

The set will consist of 14 packets of 20/20 with tossups capped at 800 characters, and bonuses around 725 characters. The difficulty will be similar to past Penn Bowls, which, in a less self-referential way, will be roughly Regionals (3-dot), with possibly a few harder-end tossup answerlines.

The distribution, and each subject’s respective editor, is as follows:

4/4 Literature
1/1 US (Darren Petrosino)
1/1 British (Darren Petrosino)
1/1 European (Darren Petrosino)
1/1 World (Noah Sheidlower)

4/4 History
1/1 US (Noah Sheidlower)
1/1 European, which will include British History (Emmett Laurie)
1/1 Other History (Emmett Laurie)
1/1 World (Benjamin McAvoy-Bickford)

4/4 Science
1/1 Biology (Gerhardt Hinkle)
1/1 Chemistry (Gerhardt Hinkle)
1/1 Physics (Leo Law)
1/1 Other Science (Leo Law)

3/3 Arts
1/1 Visual Fine Arts (Jeremy Tsai)
1/1 Auditory Arts (Noah Sheidlower)
1/1 Other Fine Arts (Emmett Laurie)

1/1 Mythology (Jeremy Tsai)
1/1 Religion (Benjamin McAvoy-Bickford)
1/1 Philosophy (Emmett Laurie)
1/1 Social Science (Benjamin McAvoy-Bickford)

1/1 Other
.5/.5 Pop Culture (Emmett Laurie)
.5/.5 Geography, Current Events, and Other Academic (Benjamin McAvoy-Bickford)

Mirror list:
Online Playtest: September 23, 2023
Northeast: Harvard 10/21
Upper Mid-Atlantic: University of Penn 10/21
Lower Mid Atlantic: UNC, 11/4

Southeast: Georgia Tech, 11/4
Florida: Florida State 10/28
Midwest: Purdue 10/28
Texas: UT Austin, 10/28
Northwest: UC Berkeley 10/28
UK: Warwick 10/28
Canada: Waterloo 10/28
Last edited by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul on Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:04 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Rikku

Re: Penn Bowl 2023

We are currently aiming for a playtest mirror on September 23, 2023, which will be announced soon. We expect the set to be ready for the typical Penn Bowl slot of late October, at which point it is also available for mirrors. Teams should expect to hear soon from Talia and Vishal (email: pennquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com), though if you are interested in mirroring the set please reach out to us first!

One logistics note, the set's mirror fee will be $60/team. I may be defending something already popular, in which case ignore this, but we believe (as others do, I think, like the ESPN editors) it makes sense for quizbowl to start charging a bit more for set production.

On a writing side of things, while we are making reasonable progress, if there are any enterprising science writers out there who'd be willing to throw some questions our way, let me know!

Please reach out to me (here, on discord, or at emmettlaurie6 [at] gmail [dot] com) or to Vishal and Talia (aforementioned email) if you have any questions or concerns. I will update the mirror list as time goes.

EDIT: Here is a form for teams expressing interest in hosting a mirror: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... A/viewform
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Rikku

A month out from the playtest mirror, the set is 90% written, so everything will be on time. If you're interested in mirroring the set and your region doesn't yet have a host, please reach out to us!
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Rikku

The set is roughly finished (<10 questions left), so we'll easily be done by mirror season. If you don't see your region listed above, please reach out to Vishal Kanigicherla if you're interested in hosting a Penn Bowl mirror (or contact me and I'll pass you along)!
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
sakanak
Lulu

Post by sakanak »

All of our sites have been completed for Penn Bowl 2023 - if teams who have played at a 2023 Penn Bowl site are interested in discussing the set or viewing the completed packets, please be sure to join the "2023 Penn Bowl Discussion" User Group in your profile!

We would love to know if teams interested in playing Penn Bowl would be interested in attending an online mirror in December or early 2024. If you may like to play, please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/8tCyhkZnUvwmRRs88.

We welcome all thoughts on extending Penn Bowl to an online mirror through forums discussion!
Vishal Kanigicherla
University of Pennsylvania, Class of 2025
Rikku

The set is clear now. The packets have been submitted to the archive; both the packets and the discussion should be public in short order.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21