TV Party Tonight! (Tossups on TV from Beginning to 2000)

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

TV Party Tonight! (Tossups on TV from Beginning to 2000)

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I'm excited to announce an all-tossups tournament of questions on what was on television between 1947 and 2000. I'll definitely have six rounds of 20 but will try to get to seven rounds. I figure I'll charge $10 to play, with proceeds going to Orlando's Zebra Youth Coalition.

Thanks to Black Flag for the name.

A rough distribution (which I reserve the right to fudge) is
1947-69 3 (probably no more than one 1950s per packet, probably)
1970-79 4
1980-89 4
1990-2000 4
Mixed/Overlapping 5

Answer lines will include shows, characters, famous scenes, theme songs, actors, writers, commercials, etc. And there are definitely going to be clues from post-2000 TV to get to answers within the time frame.

I think this will work as a singles competition, though I'm open to suggestions to make it for doubles, allowing for olds and non-olds to maybe team up to cover the distribution range. But you should expect to know some stuff about Imogene Coca and My Mother the Car.

I definitely want to run a small shootout on the Friday night before HSNCT, but that may have to be limited to 16-20 people. We could do a two-room ladder kind of thing: most of you know more about how to do that than I do, so I'm open to suggestions.

And then I'll definitely offer an online version sometime in early June. Obviously lots of time to get details down, but posting here makes sure I won't slack on getting it done.

Anyway, feel free to reply with suggestions or destructive criticism. I'll make a signup sheet when more details are firmed up.
Last edited by ValenciaQBowl on Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Alkres
Lulu

Re: TV Party Tonight! (Tossups on TV from Beginning to 2000)

Post by Alkres »

Definitely count me in for this
Alan Kreisel. FSCJ.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'd like to play. If partners, I'd like someone who knows old TV.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I combined early TV (beginning to 1969) for only three tossups per packet as I thought more about it, and also partly based on the idea that now-kinda-old Mike Cheyne (whom, I might add, I once heard opine on 1950s TV on a podcast based on his dissertation research!) might need a teammate who knows more old TV! So more Silver Spoons, less Texaco Star Theater.
Chris Borglum
Alkres
Lulu

Post by Alkres »

definitely down for this whenever it takes place
Alan Kreisel. FSCJ.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Update! Due to a family obligation, I won't be able to go to HSNCT (sads!), so I obviously won't be doing an in-person shootout there. Right now I'm thinking that an online doubles competition in June (probably on a Sunday) will work best. If you have thoughts, share them, but otherwise I'll ponder and put up a date poll soon.
Chris Borglum
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

While not being able to play this at HSNCT is sad, I will say the more recent HSNCT schedules make any side events a late night grind, so probably for the best.

I'd be down to play online whenever.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger