BEST (SHOW-ME More, 2/17)

Post high school tournament announcements and results here, along with logistical information. Interest checks, opinions, and other in-depth discussion of tournaments should go in the forum below.
komododragon655
Wakka

BEST (SHOW-ME More, 2/17)

Post by komododragon655 »

Belmont Quizbowl is proud to announce Belmont’s Exciting SHOW-ME Tournament (BEST), an in-person high school tournament on Saturday, February 17th. The tournament will be held at Belmont High School at 221 Concord Avenue, Belmont, Massachusetts, 02478. There is on-site parking and an MBTA bus stop in front of the building. We will be using SHOW-ME More, a high school regular difficulty set similar to SWAMP (the set we used for BWT II). All teams from New England and beyond are invited to attend!

Registration & Fees
Register by 2/13 using this form. Staffers (independent or team-affiliated) will be paid $25 for staffing the whole tournament and may sign up here.

Base fee: $90/team or $70/new team (hasn't played pyramidal quizbowl since 9/1/2021)
Buzzer discount: -$5/system
Travel discount: -$10/100 miles one-way, as determined with Google Maps
Staff discount: -$25/staffer
There is a minimum fee of $0 per school. Teams who cancel after February 12th @ 11:59 PM ET must pay the full fee, barring extenuating circumstances. Teams are expected to pay within a month of the tournament via Venmo, PayPal, cash, or check. Payment info will be provided in invoices sent in the registration confirmation email.

The form will ask you to ESTIMATE your pizza order. Actual pizza orders will be dealt with through a separate form sent out about a week before the tournament.

Rules
Rosters are capped at 6 players, and only 4 players may play at once. Players will follow NAQT gameplay rules (with slight modifications like untimed rounds).

Format
The field is capped at 16 teams, but will increase with sufficient interest and staffers. Check-in will be from 8:20 AM to 8:50 AM. The tournament will start around 9:00 AM and end around 6:00 PM. Teams will be guaranteed 8 games. We will use 20 tossups and 20 three-part-bonuses. 15-point powers and negative-5-point negs are in play. There is no computational math. We will have live stats (up-to-the-game) and category stats.

Additionally, this tournament is a pending PACE qualifier, meaning high-finishing teams at this tournament will qualify for quizbowl nationals in June!

Prizes
The winner of the tournament will receive a trophy. Top scorers will receive a panda sticker and the top eight or so will receive a book prize.

Conduct
Anyone involved with the tournament, including but not limited to: coaches, parents, players, staff, tournament directors, and spectators must adhere to the PACE Code of Conduct. Misconduct should be reported to this form and/or sent to [email protected].

Contact
Feel free to direct questions to [email protected]. We hope to see your team here in February!
Andrew Gao (he/him)
Chenery Middle School '23, Belmont High School '27
Pandruwu Sheetz, ex-MSQBRank
2022 MS IPNCT Finalist (3rd), 2022 MSNCT Finalist (2nd), 2023 MSNCT Champion
[email protected] | pandruwu on Discord
komododragon655
Wakka

Re: BEST (SHOW-ME More, 2/17)

FINAL Field (updated 2/16)

Windham A (ME)
Windham B (ME)
North Quincy A (MA)
North Quincy B (MA)
Belmont (MA)
Waltham A (MA)
Waltham B (MA)
Boston College High Middle (MA)
Hanover (NH)
Mansfield A (MA)
Mansfield B (MA)
Mansfield C (MA)
Weston (MA)
BB&N A (MA)
BB&N B (MA)
Westwood (MA)
Plymouth (NH)
Frontier Regional (MA)
Sharon (MA)
Amherst Regional (MA)
Totals: 20 teams, 11 buzzers, 13 staffers; field cap: 20
Last edited by komododragon655 on Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:51 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

With about three weeks to go until the tournament, we are nearing our initial field cap of 16 teams! We welcome more teams and staffers to sign up with the forms linked above. If there is interest, there will likely be a field expansion.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

We have expanded to 24 teams and are still accepting team registrations! We are looking for more staffers, so any staffers in the Boston area/willing to travel to Belmont should fill out this form.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

A logistics email was sent out to all teams on Friday! Today is the last day to register a team, so please do so here. We are also welcoming additional staffers.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

BEST ran smoothly today! Thanks to all the teams, staffers, and parents for coming today! It was great seeing everyone.

We would like to give a shoutout to all of our wonderful staffers: Aalok Bhattacharya, Alison Langsdorf, Daniel Sheffield, Gregory Zeldovich, Jeffrey Wu, Jessica Farrin, John Ziegler, Khugan Chan, Krikor Hachikian, Lan Ruan, Luca Hu, Shishir Bharadwaj, and Troy Harris.

The results: BB&N went undefeated today, 10-0 (7-0 in the playoffs). Weston took second by virtue of having the next-best record in playoffs (6-1). Hanover and Mansfield A tied for 3rd, both going 4-3 in the playoffs. These top four teams will qualify for PACE Nationals in June!

These were our top scorers through prelims today: Bradford Kimball (12), Finley Campbell (12), Rishi Pendyala (11), Isaac Ostendarp (11), Raymond Menkov (10), Noah Chin (9), Khalil Dakhlia (12), Soham Gohil (10), Declan O'Brien (11), Elise Hutton (11), Alex Ng (9), and Jefferson Ji (11). All 12 received a panda sticker and the top 8 received a book prize.

Complete stats are posted here and category stats are here. Good night everyone!
Andrew Gao (he/him)