Charlottesville Classic (IS-222) - 23 March 2024 at St. Anne's-Belfield School

Post high school tournament announcements and results here, along with logistical information. Interest checks, opinions, and other in-depth discussion of tournaments should go in the forum below.
meebles127
Tidus

Charlottesville Classic (IS-222) - 23 March 2024 at St. Anne's-Belfield School

Post by meebles127 »

The Academic Competition Club at UVA will be hosting a high school tournament on 23 March 2024 in Charlottesville, Virginia, using NAQT IS-222. This tournament will be held in-person at St. Anne's-Belfield School here in Charlottesville, Virginia. I am excited for our club's collaboration with St. Anne's-Belfield.

All teams will be guaranteed at least 10 games. We will not be using computational math tossups or computational math bonuses at this event.

Affiliation

The top 15% of the field will automatically qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament. We are seeking PACE certification.

COVID-19 precautions

We will be following and enforcing University policies for the tournament. Masks are optional on grounds. Vaccination is strongly encouraged for attendees.

Team restrictions

Only 4 players can play at once, and there can be a maximum number of 6 players on each team’s roster, with substitutions possible at half-time and between games. If you wish to bring 7 or 8 players, we ask that you register a second team and so on for anyone with larger numbers of players. All players must be enrolled at the same school; no chimera teams are permitted. If you have questions about eligibility, please send me an email.

This tournament will take place at St. Anne's-Belfied School. More details to follow.

Parking

More Information to follow.

Food

Teams will be informed about food options closer to the date of the tournament.

Fee structure

Base fee: $100 per team
Buzzer discount: $5 for each system on which the control box and 8 buzzers work. Each school may only bring a maximum of three buzzer systems.
Staff discount: $20 for a competent moderator; $10 for a scorekeeper. The Academic Competition Club reserves the right to decide which staffers to accept for a discount.
Distance Traveled discount: $10 for each team at least 150 miles away from New Cabell Hall at the University of Virginia, as determined by Google Maps.
Minimum fee: $40

Payment

We can accept payment in cash, check, Venmo, or Zelle.

Checks should be made out to “Academic Competition Club at UVa.” DO NOT make checks out to the University of Virginia. DO NOT make checks out to St. Anne's-Belfied School.

Please pay either in advance or on the day of the tournament. If you wish to pay in advance, please indicate this on the registration form and I will send you an address. All teams will be sent an invoice after we receive their registration. The Academic Competition Club can provide invoices and W-9s as needed.

Field

The cap for this tournament is 24 teams. I reserve the right to increase the field pending room and staff availability.

Registration

To officially register for this tournament please visit the registration page at NAQT.com. All teams must have a chaperone on site at all times.

If your school has registered and would like to change any details of your registration, or if you have any questions concerning the tournament, please email the tournament director, Em Gunter, at vef2jj AT virginia DOT edu.

We hope to see you in March!
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence