Studying Chemistry

This forum is for discussing tournament formats, question styles, strategy, and such.
quizbowlchamp1
Lulu

Studying Chemistry

Post by quizbowlchamp1 »

Here is another one of my posts, a la Studying Art History and Studying Science and Studying Science and Geography, but I digress.

How would you study Chemistry?

I am currently studying for an HS tournament I will be at on April 5th. I'm following the IB Chemistry HL course of study. I'm using notion to take notes, and using the Oxford Course Companion as my main textbook/study resource. I'm also using (sometimes) MSJChem for additional resources. If any of you have taken IB Chemistry/have studied Chemistry, I would love your input!
Russ McGlaughn
7th Grade
Rainbow Middle School (2022-present)
Southside High School (2023-present)
2023 MSNCT Rising Star
Alabama State Champion 2024
quizbowlchamp1
Lulu

Re: Studying Chemistry

Post by quizbowlchamp1 »

I'm also (somewhat) using Richard Thornley.
Russ McGlaughn
7th Grade
2023 MSNCT Rising Star
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

The AP curriculum is probably good to serve as a base for your studies (I assume that IB should be fine too?) - I would consider looking at stuff from ~2012 ish even because there were more topics on the exam back then

I would also just recommend looking at a bunch of quizbowl questions because it happens that a lot of clues may be outside of the scope of the AP curriculum and may range from "above what you're expected to know," "more targeted for people with interest or who try to keep up to date with what's hip and new," to "something that has real life applications that people can be expected to know that isn't necessarily asked about in the curriculum" - this also depends on how comprehensive you want to be with regards to learning the material.
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
quizbowlchamp1
Lulu

Post by quizbowlchamp1 »

Part of the reason that I chose IB over AP was depth of content. I felt like AP was a lot more math-heavy compared to the IB, which is more concept-heavy.
Russ McGlaughn
7th Grade
2023 MSNCT Rising Star