Spelling

Old college threads.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Spelling

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Is it within my rights (or my captain's rights) to, on a bonus, command the moderator to spell a word in the bonus prompt? I have skimmed both the ACF and NAQT rules, and neither has an answer to this.

Discuss.
QuizbowlPostmodernist
Wakka

Post by QuizbowlPostmodernist »

NAQT might view it as dilatory, depending on the circumstances.

Both sets of rules tend to assume that a moderator is competent. I would guess that you are within your rights to ask the moderator to spell a word, and only the most egotistical of moderators would probably refuse such a request if reasonable. I will even spell out words that I know I will have trouble with. (French is my kryptonite.)

On the other hand, if a moderator makes a reasonable attempt at following a pronunciation guide and you request the name to be spelled, I don't think that you have the right to have it spelled if it gives away the national origin of the name and affects the difficulty of the bonus.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Just answering from the high school side of things, if it's an untimed match I would find nothing wrong with asking for a word to be spelled on a bonus. I'm not sure how it'd work on a toss-up, but the majority of competent moderators I've met spell the word if they can't pronounce it on a toss-up.

In a timed round game, I could see how this would be denied in most circumstances due to time concerns and so forth.
Auron

QuizbowlPostmodernist wrote: Both sets of rules tend to assume that a moderator is competent.
But when a moderator is competent, that is when knowing the spelling of a word can be most valuable.

Sometimes, on a bonus, you are given a word, and have to figure out what country its from. (Or, alternatively, figuring out what country it's from can help you find what you need). Some languages have very peculiar spellings, and linking an ethnic spelling to a particular pronunciation can help you figure out what language that's from, and therefore possibly what country it's from.
Auron

The question is: is asking for spelling for the reason above unfair, because it gets me an extra clue, or is it fair, because anything on the page that isn't the answer is a clue I deserve to know, inherently?