Minnesota 2006-2007

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

Canadajin wrote:The tournament went really well, and the Deep Bench format was really creative and different. I also liked that the teams had to function as whole teams rather than independant parts.
I would have to agree with that, Michael. The Deep Bench format really shows which teams are well-rounded and which ones just rely on one or two talented people. It also points out cracks in individual knowledge that don't always come out in team play, especially in my own experience. I wish that high school quiz bowl in Minnesota had more opportunities to compete like that.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I wish that high school quiz bowl in Minnesota had more opportunities to compete like that.
Anyone in Minnesota want to mirror High School Celebrity Shoot? :)
Last edited by First Chairman on Tue May 01, 2007 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Just wondering if anyone had results from NAQT Minnesota. I'm sure that R. has been so busy with HSNCT that he hasn't (and won't for a while) had time to update the MQBA website with results.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Full Devil Jacket wrote:
nigeline wrote:I wish that high school quiz bowl in Minnesota had more opportunities to compete like that.
Man, I wish we could do that. Unfortunately, we're all just preparing for Nats. A huge amount of Minnesota teams are going this year. :razz:
Last edited by naturalistic phallacy on Tue May 01, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Eden Prairie won, Hill-Murray got second, Minnetonka third, and Wayzata fourth. EP averaged around 450 PPG and had an ungodly bonus conversion in the mid 24s.
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Giant Robot wrote:Yes, god forbid Wayzata offend you, the arbiter of HSNCT attendance. Seriously, dude.

As has been said before, those "other, possibly better" teams should have simply qualified earlier. Teams like Wayzata are not, and should not be held, responsible for other teams failing to qualify early enough to ensure attendance.
Not like it matters that much anymore, for the field has expanded again.
Bernadette Spencer
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

nigeline wrote:
Full Devil Jacket wrote:
nigeline wrote:I wish that high school quiz bowl in Minnesota had more opportunities to compete like that.
Man, I wish we could do that. Unfortunately, we're all just preparing for Nats. A huge amount of Minnesota teams are going this year. :razz:
Well, I really meant next fall (October to November). I don't want to muck up your prep for Chicago. (HSCS is a written-answer-only tournament.) PS.... where are the stats for NAQT MN?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Canadajin
Lulu

Post by Canadajin »

http://www.naqt.com/mqba/

The stats can be found at the above link.
hmquizbowl
Kimahri

Post by hmquizbowl »

What were peoples reactions to Minnesota NAQT State Championship. No one is surprised that Eden Prarie won, but were there any surprises?
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

The question that's begging to be asked here is -Did you think your team had any upsets and wanted other people to talk about it?
The other question - Who are you?

That seems to be a pattern on these boards.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Canadajin wrote:http://www.naqt.com/mqba/

The stats can be found at the above link.
Maybe it's my browser, but I'm not seeing results from the Deep Bench Tournament (WISDOM) or the NAQT Minnesota tournament up there yet, just links to the announcements.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
hmquizbowl
Kimahri

Post by hmquizbowl »

I was one of the three people who showed up form Hill-Murray. I know we weren't that surprised about it, but was anyone else?
Mitu
Lulu

Post by Mitu »

hmquizbowl, Congrats on taking second at State. My team, Wayzata, took fourth after losing to Eden Prairie in the semifinals and then to Minnetonka in the consolation game (by 20). Not to take anything away from Minnetonka's win, but it should also be noted that we were missing people and had to shuffle teams around...overall not a very good tournament for us.
Last edited by Mitu on Tue May 01, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitu Ramgopal
Wayzata '08
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

charlieDfromNKC wrote:The question that's begging to be asked here is -Did you think your team had any upsets and wanted other people to talk about it?
The other question - Who are you?

That seems to be a pattern on these boards.
I would have to agree.
Bernadette Spencer
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
hmquizbowl
Kimahri

Post by hmquizbowl »

I felt we were done when we went down 130-15 at half-time vs Mound Westonka. However, we wound up winning the game by 60.
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Lucious Macabre wrote:hmquizbowl, Congrats on taking second at State. My team, Wayzata, took fourth after losing to Eden Prairie in the semifinals and then to Minnetonka in the consolation game (by 20). Not to take anything away from Minnetonka's win, but it should also be noted that we were missing people and had to shuffle teams around...overall not a very good tournament for us.
Wayzata was still good that tournament. You guys certainly deserve to be in the top four, if not higher. It's only one tourney, though.
Bernadette Spencer
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Byko wrote:Maybe it's my browser, but I'm not seeing results from the Deep Bench Tournament (WISDOM) or the NAQT Minnesota tournament up there yet, just links to the announcements.
It's not your browser. Stats aren't up yet, but that's where they'll be.

I read at the tournament, and was, overall, impressed. EP A was characteristically dominant. I was sad I didn't get to see Wayzata or Hill-Murray, but after I was done reading I was too busy recruiting at the scrimmage matches. Andreas of Mound-Westonka A was very impressive - dude knows his literature.

Bernadette, are you coming to the U of M next year?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Mitu
Lulu

Post by Mitu »

Mr. Hentzel told me that stats wont be posted for WISDOM, but Im assuming the stats from State should be up soon.
Mitu Ramgopal
Wayzata '08
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Giant Robot wrote:
Byko wrote:Maybe it's my browser, but I'm not seeing results from the Deep Bench Tournament (WISDOM) or the NAQT Minnesota tournament up there yet, just links to the announcements.
It's not your browser. Stats aren't up yet, but that's where they'll be.

I read at the tournament, and was, overall, impressed. EP A was characteristically dominant. I was sad I didn't get to see Wayzata or Hill-Murray, but after I was done reading I was too busy recruiting at the scrimmage matches. Andreas of Mound-Westonka A was very impressive - dude knows his literature.

Bernadette, are you coming to the U of M next year?
I still don't know, but I'm probably 80% sure that I am. It has the best QB out of all of my choices. I just don't know how good I would be at a college level.
Bernadette Spencer
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Keep studying/playing/learning and there's no reason you can't be good. You and Gautam would form the core of a great DII team next year.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

hahaha... Thanks Rob :wink:
It will be funny if I will read when my brother's playing.... :p
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Just being mentioned in the same post as Gautam is amazing and to play on a team with him would be amazing.
Bernadette Spencer
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Gautam
Auron

Congratulations

Post by Gautam »

A very hearty congratulations to all those who participated in the HSNCT. The teams definitely did a good job of representing Minnesota this year and proved that we are emerging as a force to be reckoned with.

I wish best luck to all those who return the next year.

Have a great summer!

Gautam Kandlikar
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
klwalton33
Lulu

Post by klwalton33 »

Yes -- a BIG congrats -- the state represented itself very well on the national level. It was great to see several teams in the playoffs and many familiar faces during the course of the day.

Best of luck to all graduating seniors -- we will miss you next year!

And best of luck to all those coming back -- next year will be another fun year in MN Quiz Bowl.

Thanks,
Kirk W
EPHS Coach
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Congrats to you, EP, for placing 12th. You certainly deserved it. :kenj: would be proud.
Bernadette Spencer
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Mitu
Lulu

Post by Mitu »

Good job at Nationals everybody, congrats to EP for their high placement. Looking forward to another year of MN Quiz Bowl.
Mitu Ramgopal
Wayzata '08