All-Iowa Winter Tournament

Old college threads.
robertjameson
Kimahri

Post by robertjameson »

Mount Mercy College, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, is tentatively planning to host an NAQT style collegiate open tournament in January 2008. This is dependent on the level of interest from Iowa colleges first, though if we receive applications from other regional or national teams we will consider opening it up into a general tournament. This is, right now, non-packet submission, one-day event, with a $60.00 registration fee -$10.00 for first six teams expressing interest, -$10.00 for each buzzer set brought to tournament. Email us at [email protected] or see our website for more details at http://thenunemakers.com/quizbowl/
"Laborare est orare"
-Rule of St. Benedict.

"A rule, which, in speculation, may seem the most advantageous to society, may yet be found, in practice, totally pernicious and destructive." -David Hume.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Truman State would be interested in bringing at least one team ... depending on the date and the question set used (it can't conflict with Rollapalooza's NAQT set).

We aren't technically in Iowa but are about 30 miles from the border :-P. Hopefully there is enough true Iowa interest though cuz this is only 3 and a half hours from us so it is definitely easy driving.
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Illinois may be interested.

When you say "NAQT style", does that mean an NAQT-produced set, or are you planning on producing a set in house in the NAQT style?
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Hey, it's awesome to see another quizbowl team pop up in the midwest. The University of Minnesota would likely be interested in bringing a team. Quick question: are you planning on writing a set, or is this an actual NAQT tournament?

edit: are you Bob Jameson from CDH?
Deckard Cain
Rikku

Post by Deckard Cain »

Missouri-Rolla might be interested as well.
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

Drake University would be interested in coming to that meet, assuming it fit into our schedule.

It's good to see another college quiz bowl team in Iowa.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
robertjameson
Kimahri

Post by robertjameson »

Hey! It's great to see so much interest so quickly! This totally exceeds my expectations. In response to MoMa, I am Bob Jameson from CDH, in the sense that I used to play for CDH and, to my knowledge, there are no other Bob Jamesons there...

A couple of you had good questions about what I meant when I said NAQT format- this means that the questions will be asked in that format, whether or not we get a packet series from NAQT. That's a format I'm most familiar with, and gol'darn'it, I just like it! However, I have emailed Rob Hentzel at NAQT to see if we can get an official packet series. If we can't, our team will simply write the questions in that format or die trying! I will update further as the planning progresses, since I'm essentially a one-man band running this...so keep checking for more information. I'll also email all the QB teams that I have contact info for, which includes some of your schools, and potentially more like Buena Vista and UNI.
"Laborare est orare"
-Rule of St. Benedict.

"A rule, which, in speculation, may seem the most advantageous to society, may yet be found, in practice, totally pernicious and destructive." -David Hume.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Awesome. I'm Andrew Hart, went to Chaska so I played you a number of times in high school. Anyway, good luck with running your tournament, and keep us posted on what questions you will be using.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Depending on the date, Lawrence is interested.
Gautam
Auron

Re: All-Iowa Winter Tournament

Post by Gautam »

robertjameson wrote: However, I have emailed Rob Hentzel at NAQT to see if we can get an official packet series. If we can't, our team will simply write the questions in that format or die trying!
Don't you mean Get Rich or Die Tryin'? Anyway, if you are dying tryin' you can always get the teams to submit packets... I mean, you can write some house-written packets, and then have participating teams submit stuff. you don't have to murder yourself trying to write all those questions.

Of course, all this is assuming you won't be able to get NAQT questions for your tourney. If you do get to use IS packets, (although I wouldn't like it) the above statement is moot.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
walter12
Lulu

Post by walter12 »

The University of Iowa would most certainly be interested in sending several teams to the event. We are only 20 miles away after all :)
Paul Drube, University of Iowa
robertjameson
Kimahri

Packet Series

Post by robertjameson »

Hello all trivia aficionados! I've finally heard back from NAQT, and we'll be using the IS-68 packet for our January tournament. And now for a question I'll throw out to all of you...Which weekend in January works best for the majority of teams interested in attending? Please reply to this as soon as possible- it will allow me to schedule the space we need. Also, please tell me how many teams you'd like to bring so Mount Mercy QB can get a rough estimate going of how many match-ups and moderators we'll need. We may also offer moderator discounts to some of the teams willing and able to provide those talented people!

Until then, Happy Trails!
"Laborare est orare"
-Rule of St. Benedict.

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Not to hark on this "IS sets are terrible for quizbowl" debate again, but if you're looking to do a non-IS set, both TIT/MLK and Penn Bowl will be taking place in January if you wanted to mirror those tournaments. Both TIT and Penn Bowl were at least pretty well received from the regulars on this board last year.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Oh man, that would be amazing if you guys could mirror Penn Bowl or MLK ..... not that you should feel pressured but IS sets are pretty ridiculous.... I would play on it but I am up for the challenge more than the ease.

Penn Bowl is usually in late January and MLK is around MLK Jr.'s Bday, I assume :P.

Later January probably works best for Truman State although we get back from break early so it wouldn't be too horrible to do it earlier in the month for us..... and we would most likely be bringing 2 teams unless we get an influx of new people.
Strongside
Rikku

Re: Packet Series

Post by Strongside »

robertjameson wrote:Hello all trivia aficionados! I've finally heard back from NAQT, and we'll be using the IS-68 packet for our January tournament. And now for a question I'll throw out to all of you...Which weekend in January works best for the majority of teams interested in attending? Please reply to this as soon as possible- it will allow me to schedule the space we need. Also, please tell me how many teams you'd like to bring so Mount Mercy QB can get a rough estimate going of how many match-ups and moderators we'll need. We may also offer moderator discounts to some of the teams willing and able to provide those talented people!

Until then, Happy Trails!
As for a date I was thinking that the last weekend in January would be best because if it is any earlier in January some schools might still be on break. The last weekend in January was when Sword Bowl was held earlier this year, which Drake as mirrored the past two years.

As for whether Drake is planning on holding Sword Bowl in January, we haven't decided but as of now I would say it is more likely than not that we wil host it, but a Sword Bowl date has not been announced yet so we don't know. February 9 is probably NAQT Sectionals, February 16 is ACF Regionals, the last weekend in February is CBI, and the University of Minnesota is planning on hosting a tournament sometime in February. There aren't any tournaments scheduled for December 8 in the Upper Midwest that I know of but that may be too close to finals for some teams, and some schools are on break then.

As for the number of teams we'd bring, assuming the date works for us, we would probably bring 1-2 teams.

As for the question set, I would personally prefer playing an MLK Set or a Penn Bowl set, but I'd be fine with an IS set.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

IS-68 is being used by UMN for GINVIT HS tournament, so it probably means that we cannot attend unless the tournament is held earlier than Dec 8.

[:neutral:] IS sets [/:neutral:]
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

If you mirrored Penn Bowl, my (and I believe Illinois') interest in going would be much higher than it would be if you used an IS set. I think that we may be seeing that IS set at a high school tournament previous to yours, too.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

kandlifornication wrote:IS-68 is being used by UMN for GINVIT HS tournament, so it probably means that we cannot attend unless the tournament is held earlier than Dec 8.

[:neutral:] IS sets [/:neutral:]
That's the problem with those. If we weren't so short-staffed, some of us could just not read, so that we could actually attend this tournament.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
DakarKra
Wakka

Post by DakarKra »

I'm sure this has been noted by people with a far more vested interest in this tournament than myself, but IS-68 is also being used on December 15 for Cyclone Bowl at ISU. Naturally, that would further affect attendence at this event, if NAQT sets are still planned for the event. If they're not, obviously I've added nothing and apologize for dragging this back up.
Scott Nystrom
Lulu

Post by Scott Nystrom »

A few points:

* Iowa State would probably be good for at least one team and possible two(three?) depending on the date.

* We were kind of hoping to camp on February 2/9/16 for the date of our own spring collegiate tournament (a mirror probably--details forthcoming).

* Glad somebody noticed we're camping on IS-68 with Cyclone Bowl 7.0. :P