NAQT Tournament in Ohio?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Would you attend an NAQT-format Tournament in Ohio on May 15th?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 10

solonqb
Rikku

NAQT Tournament in Ohio?

Post by solonqb »

To any Ohio, West Virginia, Michigan, or Pennsylvania teams:

If we (Solon HS) were to hold an NAQT-format tournament on May 15th using introductory or regular series packets and qualifying for Nationals, what do you think would be the level of interest? Enough that we could make up a 18-36 team invitational just of Ohio teams? Just tossing the idea out there.

I would hope that we would get a favorable response, given that currently no NAQT-format tournaments are held anywhere in Ohio.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm not officially affiliated with any WV teams, but there might be a couple of interested teams that I could bring this up to. There are a couple of potential problems that would come up (money, seniors getting out early, other crap), but the biggest problem would be that this is two months after the state championship. Most teams pretty much shut down after that, save for the two or three who decide to go to nationals.

However, you might be able to cull a team or two over there from here. If I were you, I'd contact JR Bellas from Tippecanoe. He'd likely be interested, and it seems like he has the ins to enough people in your state that your tournament could be a success.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

A couple of problems depending on whether you see them as problems.

I am guessing that could be the weekend of the OAC state championship tournament. Not sure, but check on that. It may not matter for 8 teams, but it may throw in a monkey-wrench for some of them if you are trying to target them.

Qualification for various nationals doesn't have a set timeline, but since the nationals start within 2-5 weeks after your date, it is unlikely anyone will use that opportunity to qualify for any nationals. However, you could pitch it for "practice" for NAQT HSCT.

Also, I thought Ada had once used NAQT questions for their comp. Please confirm if any of you know.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

As far as OAC States go, that's May 1st.

I would have liked to hold such a tournament at an earlier date, but insane scheduling conflicts make that the only date possible. I guess the only way to promote it would either be as practice for teams that have already qualified or an introduction to teams that have not made it and want such a taste. This would lead me to use regular packets and not introductory, as hardly any tournaments use introductory.

And as far as Ada's tournament goes, don't get me started. Who the hell holds an 8-team NAQT tournament on a Monday? They do use NAQT sets, but the accessibility issues (the TD only reserves slots for county teams) make the state situation such that our proposed tournament for 95% of the state might as well be the only NAQT tournament in state.

We plan on promoting this at Buzzerpalooza, Copley, etc. I might also ask Dwight Kidder or Erin Korber to pass out some material at Pittsburgh if it's not too much trouble for them.

I'll speak to Mr. Bellas on Januray 24th at Michigan State.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

Tippecanoe would certainly try to come. We wouuld love to have a large NAQT format tournament in Ohio. I'll talk to Mr. Bellas when we come back from break.
I do not care much for large yellow Avians.