2018 Hit Songs Survey

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jonpin
Auron

2018 Hit Songs Survey

Post by jonpin »

December is a Perfect time to go through the year's music and decide which ones make you say I Like It, which ones are just Sad!, and which ones are somewhere in The Middle. Last week, my former student David Song asked about running this poll in one of the Facebook groups, but I figured, if it's Meant to Be for this poll to happen, it'll be here. So let's find out HSQB's Favorite Hit Song of the Year!
Now, I didn't run this poll last year because we were in the middle of rightfully crowning "Hey Ya!" the best song in the history of music, but in 2016, we (as a quiz bowl society) approved of Sia's "Cheap Thrills", hated Shawn Mendes's "Treat You Better", and had mixed emotions about "Cake by the Ocean" by DNCE.

We've all got our individual tastes in music, but here we're looking at just the hits. Pick your top 10 and/or bottom 10 of those songs, and post in thread or PM me. It makes the exercise more fun if you have some sort of remarks as to why you've picked the songs you have.

How does it work? I got New Rules, I count 'em:
1. I am using a modified form of the Todd-in-the-Shadows eligibility criteria this year. Any song in the Year-End top 100 or which made the top ten of any weekly Hot 100 list. Usually, I disqualify holdover songs which were higher on last year's list, but we didn't have this opportunity to praise or bash last year, so any song appearing on either of those pages is eligible. Except for "All I Want for Christmas Is You".
2. You must RANK your picks. You can't just send me a list of 10 songs and say "I love all of these!"
3. You may choose only to make a list of good songs, only a list of bad songs, or both. Whichever list(s) you make, you must list between 5 and 10 songs. If you just say "NICE FOR WHAT IS MY NUMBER ONE AND THAT'S ALL I'M RANKING" you will be ignored.

If you find yourself looking at the list and wondering "wait, what song is that?", this video may help. Or it may not, I still don't recognize a lot of these. [shrug]

Voting will remain open until at least December 31. I promise to be less delinquent in my tabulation than I was two years ago (provided there are enough entries to make it worth doing so).
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Re: 2018 Hit Songs Survey

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Hot
1. Sicko Mode (I only knew this song as "the one with the really sick beat drop" since I normally don't listen to Travis Scott)
2. Mo Bamba (only for the good Baxter House basement memories)
3. The Middle (grew on me)
4. Feel it Still (not my favorite PTM song but very good)
5. One Kiss
6. New Rules
7. I Like It
8. Shape of You
9. Havana
10. This is America

Not
-10. Gucci Gang (this is still a thing?)
-9. Freaky Friday (don't think I've actually listened to this song but Lil Dicky and Chris Brown = two pieces of :party: and at least one felon)
-8. God's Plan (I sure hope this song wasn't part of God's plan)
-7. Whatever it Takes (come on, Imagine Dragons sucks now)
-6. Believer (see above)

Not going to listen to a bunch of music I don't listen to to determine how awful it is.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
kammajos000
Lulu

Post by kammajos000 »

1. Sad! (big fan of XXXTentacion’s music)
2. Back To You
3. Plug Walk (Breaking Bad music video was cool)
4. Moonlight
5. Plain Jane
6. Ric Flair Drip
7. Fake Love (the only k-pop song I’ve liked)
8.Rock Star (even better with every rhyme replaced by “pop tart”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBjLoOPcZ3A)
9. Stir Fry
10. Walk It Talk It

Bottom
1. Thunder (Imagine Dragons sucks)
2. Feel It Still (boring song)
3. Perfect (generic bad love song)
4. Whatever It Takes
5. Bad at Love (Halsey’s voice is annoying, and the lyrics are dumb)
6. Taste (really dumb song)
7. Big Bank (also really dumb song)
8. Finesse (boring)
9. In My Feelings (Drake sucks)
10. I'm Upset

Way too much Drake and Imagine Dragons this year. Enough room for G-Eazy and Lil Baby but not for Young Thug or A$AP Rocky? Ok.
Joe Kammann
Wayzata '18
Minnesota '22
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Good
1. Feel It Still: It's one of the three songs on my "being productive" playlist for a reason
2. Gucci Gang: Still slaps
3. This is America
4. Thank u, next
5. One Kiss: 2018 was a very good year for Albanians in the music industry.
6. Delicate
7. King's Dead: I can't tell if this would be higher without the Future part or not
8. Bodak Yellow
9. Sorry Not Sorry
10. Sicko Mode

Not good
100. Freaky Friday: Everything about this song is incredibly unnecessary
99. Thunder: Please god make the noises stop
98. Fefe: Somehow worse than Gummo
97. Moonlight
96. Believer: I'm limiting myself to two Imagine Dragons songs.
95. Meant To Be. I listened to this and it sucked enough to edit Simple out.
94. Havana: Young Thug isn't enough to save this song from being very grating
93. Rockstar
92. Shape of You
91. Girls Like You: Cardi B is good, but Maroon 5 somehow makes everything they touch irritating
Last edited by A Dim-Witted Saboteur on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Hello. Here's my top 10.

1. Dua Lipa - "IDGAF"
2. Dua Lipa - "New Rules"
3. Zedd, Maren Morris, Grey - "The Middle"
4. Eminem, Joyner Lucas - "Lucky You"
5. Portugal. The Man - "Feel It Still"
6. Calvin Harris, Dua Lipa - "One Kiss"
7. Panic! At the Disco - "High Hopes"
8. Imagine Dragons - "Thunder"
9. Marshmello, Bastille - "Happier"
10. Benny Blanco, Halsey, Khalid - "Eastside"

Best Song I Remember Hearing On The Radio That Is Apparently Not Eligible: Lovelytheband - "Broken"
Best Song Whose Video Features A Cameo From Congresswoman Ilhan Omar: Maroon 5, Cardi B - "Girls Like You"

There's a whole lot of bad songs but you don't need me to get really cranky about them. Dua Lipa is great. Now get off my lawn!!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Here's my top 10 and bottom 10. I excluded a few (mostly rap) songs that I’ve never heard and don’t really care to listen to. Looking back on this year, there really were a ton of songs that just didn’t make too much of an impression on me either positively or negatively. Ironically, "The Middle" wasn't one of those.

Top 10:
1. “Youngblood” by 5 Seconds of Summer (I didn’t expect to like this song as much as I did, but its easily my favorite on this list)
2. “God’s Plan” by Drake
3. “Wolves” by Selena Gomez & Marshmello
4. “In My Feelings” by Drake
5. “Lucid Dreams” by Juice Wrld (A pretty enjoyable song from an artist that I’d never heard of before this song)
6. “This is America” by Childish Gambino (A great song and a great music video)
7. “Finesse” by Bruno Mars and Cardi B (If this were the non-remixed version from 24K Magic it would probably be my top song of the year, but the remix still grew on me)
8. “Natural” by Imagine Dragons (My favorite Imagine Dragons song of their popular ones this year, though I general enjoy most of their songs because they fit well on running playlists.
9. “Get Along” by Kenny Chesney (Easily my favorite country song on this top 100. Tequila by Dan and Shay wasn’t bad either though)
10. “Freaky Friday” by Lil Dicky & Chris Brown (A surprisingly funny music video and a pretty enjoyable song; admittedly the song’s probably confusing for anyone who hasn’t seen the full music video first)

Bottom 10:
100. “Meant to Be” by Bebe Rexha and Florida Georgia Line (The annual pop song disguised as a country song that fans of both genres should probably realize is just bad and pandering)
99. “Fefe” by 6ix9ine (Not a great song by not a great role model)
98. “Marry Me” by Thomas Rhett (I’m just not a fan of the “bro-country” genre)
97. “Simple” by Florida Georgia Line (See above)
96. “Heaven” by Cane Brown (Probably the most boring song I’ve heard all year)
95. “The Middle” by Zedd, Maren Morris, and Grey (Overproduced and has an unpleasant clock noise playing throughout the entire song!)
94. “I Fall Apart” by Post Malone (In general, I’m not a fan of mumble rap, and this song is my least favorite of the popular Post Malone songs this year)
93. “Sicko Mode” by Travis Scott (Enjoyed this less than I thought I would)
92. “Gucci Gang” by Lil Pump (A meme of a song and not a good one)
91. “Walk It Talk It” by Migos & Drake (Generally I’m a fan of both Migos and Drake, but not on this one. This song’s just way too repetitive and difficult to sing/enjoy)
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Alright time to dish out some hot takes.

BEST:
1. Travis Scott- SICKO MODE: No way is this close to my favorite song of the year but it slaps hardcore.
2. N.E.R.D and Rihanna- Lemon: Again, another song that slaps. The Arlen Spector sample is sublime and the performance of this track is just great overall.
3. Juice WRLD- Lucid Dreams: Emo rap at its finest. Amazing visuals for this song too.
4. Ariana Grande- No Tears Left to Cry: was originally lukewarm on this track, but it has grown on me tremendously. Sweetener is amazing, Ari is a queen, and this song, yet again, also slaps hardcore.
5. Lil Pump- Gucci Gang: GUCCI GANG GUCCI GANG GUCCI GANG GUCCI GANG GUCCI GANG
6. XXXTentacion- SAD!: this song is, extremely sad and extremely catchy. I enjoy it a lot.
7. Cardi B- Bodak Yellow: Yeah, this :party: slaps
8. A$AP Ferg- Plain Jane: Not a massive Ferg fan, but this song is amazing and y’all should really check it out.
9. XXXTentacion- Moonlight: Two X songs on this list??? Yes. Because this song is good. Get over it
10. Drake- Nice for What: Had to throw this one a bone just because of the sublime production on this track.

WORST:
1. Ed Sheeran- Shape of You: just no
2. Ed Sheeran- Perfect: also just no
3. Imagine Dragons- Thunder: BARFFFFF
4. Chris Brown and Lil Dicky- Freaky Friday: everything sucks
5. Maroon 5 and Cardi B- Girls Like You: this ain’t it chief
connor mayers
maryland
Apocolocyntora
Rikku

Post by Apocolocyntora »

1. Mine (catchy and fun without being annoying; also probably the ideal for what a pop song should sound like)
2. Delicate (reputation might be a little shoddy by Taylor Swift standards, but this song perfectly captures the giddiness of a new relationship, and it has a beautiful and personal sound)
3. Call out my name (tbh The Weeknd doesn’t have to try very hard, his voice is too great)
4. thank u, next (memeable and fun, also has a great video)
5. Rockstar (although some of his stuff gets old pretty fast, "Rockstar" stands out)
6. No tears left to cry (like The Weeknd, Ariana's less good songs are still good by virtue of her beautiful vocals. There were some better tracks on sweetener that probably would have taken this slot had they been singles)
7. I like it (I got really excited that Cardi sampled "I like it like that." The song as a whole is perfectly meshed.)
8. Friends (Anne-Marie should be more popular; this song is great)
9. This is America (I'm not a huge fan of Childish Gambino but this is conceptually a great song and its video is excellent)
10. Him & I (G-Eazy adds very little to this song, but Halsey has a very pleasant sound, and constantly hearing this song on the radio was a nice interruption from basically every song in my bottom 10).

100. Whatever it takes (I don't think I've ever actually been able to listen to this all the way through. Imagine Dragons keep pushing the envelope on how crappy and obnoxious they can be)
99. Meant to be (I will never understand how this song came into conception nor why Bebe Rexha of all people decided to do a country song)
98. Girls like you (Maroon 5 went from having a great first album to immediately putting out the blandest and most uninspiring things they could. Cardi B isn't doing this song any favors, either)
97. What lovers do
96. God’s plan (Drake is hugely overrated and has a voice for silent movies)
95. Say something (no, please, you don't have to say anything)
94. Yes indeed (Wah-wah-wah)
93. In my feelings
92. Thunder
91. The middle (bland but not bland enough to be able to tune it out)
Tora (she/her/hers)
Wayzata '18
Minnesota '22 (President, '20-'22)
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I have edited two above posts because "Off Topic" is within the "HS & MS" portion of the boards, and therefore this rule still applies:
The use of any profanity in the high school section is prohibited. This rule does not apply in the college section.
I have not edited any of the abysmal opinions expressed above, but know I'm eyeing some of y'all suspiciously, and that if you find yourself in the passenger seat of my car, some of you will not have radio control.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)

A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

jonpin wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:09 pm I have not edited any of the abysmal opinions expressed above, but know I'm eyeing some of y'all suspiciously, and that if you find yourself in the passenger seat of my car, some of you will not have radio control.
I will not stop stanning Lil Pump, old man.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

Top 10:
1. "Sad!" by XXXTentacion: this song is wonderful
2. "Lemon" by NERD and Rihanna: rihanna rapping is wonderful
3. "Powerglide" by Rae Sremmurd and Juicy J: try and he might Juicy J can't make this song bad.
4. "Gucci Gang" by Lil Pump: still slaps
5. "Finesse" by Bruno Mars and Cardi B
6. "Te Bote" by Nio García, Darell and Casper Mágico featuring Bad Bunny, Nicky Jam and Ozuna: this good!
7. "Plug Walk" by Rich the Kid: Rich is good and so is this song
8. "Moonlight" by XXX: also some good stuff
9. "Uproar" by Lil Wayne: Probably my favorite of Wayne's new stuff and Wayne coming back is awesome
10. "god is a woman" by Ariana Grande: this song also slaps

Bottom 10:
100: "Freaky Friday" by Lil Dicky and Chris Brown: Just a whole lotta bad going on here
99. "Whatever it Takes" by Imagine Dragons: ITT imagine dragons continues its trek toward becoming a permanent ESPN commercial!
98. "Girls Like You" by Maroon 5 and Cardi B: if Maroon 5 could stop making music that would super rad
97. "I'm Upset" by Drake: may be Drake's worst song ever
96. "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons: see "Whatever it Takes"
95: "Sicko Mode" by Travis Scott/Drake: lmao what is Drake's chorus??? 2 artists i love coming together to make something I hate is amusing
94. "Shape of You" by Ed Sheeran: nah
93. "1-800-273-8255" by Logic, et al: by all reports this song has had a good effect and that is nice to hear. Unfortunately this song is still bad.
92. "King's Dead" by Jay Rock, Kendrick, Future, James Blake: future wyd????????
91. none, or:
High Dependency Unit wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:44 am Not going to listen to a bunch of music I don't listen to to determine how awful it is.
EDIT: Michael's quote is not my 10th least favorite song. I am seconding his sentiment.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

While I didn't think 2018 was that great for pop music overall, it (and 2017 too) was the year of Khalid, with two entries and an honourable mention. "OTW" also probably makes it if it was eligible.

10. "Heaven" - Kane Brown. I don't follow country nearly as much as I used to, but he's probably my favourite act in the genre right now (also Old Dominion). I also love sweet, sappy love songs.
9. "Powerglide" - Rae Sremmurd featuring Juicy J. Love the aggressive backing track and the melodicly pleasing, flowing chorus that contrasts with lyrics that seem to come and break the rhyme scheme from out of nowhere at times.
8. "No Tears Left to Cry" - Ariana Grande. It took Sweetener a little while to grow on me, but it did. A solid ablum with pretty consistent quality throughout. This song is my favourite of all her work this year. (including "Thank U, Next")
7. "MotorSport" - Migos, Nicki Minaj and Cardi B. Cardi was too big not to make this list in *some* form. This was the best of it.
6. "Fake Love" - BTS. I love everything about these guys.
5. "Sky Walker" - Miguel featuring Travis Scott. Mellowest song of the year. I love how relaxing it is.
4. "1-800-273-8255" - Logic featuring Alessia Cara and Khalid. Heartfelt video. Great song. In a world where people are beginning to recognize and openly discuss the issues of suicide and mental health, it's nice to see it in music too. On a related note, for all the problems he had, being able to rap earnestly about the effects of suicide was something that set XXXTentacion apart from the crowd too.
3. "Love Lies" - Khalid and Normani. My favourite Khalid entry.
2. "In My Feelings" - Drake. The viral sensation of the summer, but also an absolute earworm if I've ever heard one. Which brings me to...
1. "Havana" - Camila Cabello featuring Young Thug. Hands down my favourite song of 2017 and I'm glad that I can rank it here too. Thank you, Despacito, for sparking the latest latin revival and giving us gems like this absolute banger. Camila was an average album (and "Never Be The Same," "Beautiful," and "Consequences" pretty average songs), but this one knocked it out of the park.

Notes:

- Just missing the cut: "Eastside" - Benny Blanco, Halsey and Khalid, "Look Alive" - BlocBoy JB featuring Drake, "IDGAF" - Dua Lipa

- My favourite song of 2018 not eligible for this list: Let Me Go - Hailee Steinfeld and Alesso featuring Florida Georgia Line and watt

- I was hoping that my list would have more female representation, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

- Finally, regarding "Freaky Friday" - Lil Dicky featuring Chris Brown. Yeah there are problems with this song. But it's kind of fun to have another comedic artist around. Particularly one whose style fits a bit better in a musical world where, if we're being honest, Weird Al is pretty dated.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Auks Ran Ova wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:27 am Best Song I Remember Hearing On The Radio That Is Apparently Not Eligible: Lovelytheband - "Broken"
adosreme wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:44 pm - My favourite song of 2018 not eligible for this list: Let Me Go - Hailee Steinfeld and Alesso featuring Florida Georgia Line and watt
The mostly-rap-phobic NYC radio stations I listen to must be skewing my perceptions, because I was 100% planning to put "Broken" on my favorites list (and figuring out how to apologize for just how douchey a song it is) and I am completely baffled how "Let Me Go", a song I have heard approximately every hour for the past year, didn't make the Year-End chart.
Jon Pinyan

Dirty Water
Lulu

Post by Dirty Water »

i'm not gonna be as snarky as years past

WORST
HM: Look Alive. turning Tay Keith into a superstar was the most annoying musical development of the year
91. Suicide Hotline - Logic ft. Alessia Cara, Khalid. I can't stand singing Logic
92. Marry Me - Thomas Rhett
93. Powerglide - Rae Sremmurd, Juicy J
94. Te Bote - Casper Magico, Nio Garcia, Darell, Nicky Jam, Ozuna, Bad Bunny. there's so much talent here but it's so BLAND how
95. Him and I - G-Eazy, Halsey.
96. Get Along - Kenny Chesney
97. Simple - Florida Georgia Line
98. Outside Today - YoungBoy Never Broke Again
99. X - Nicky Jam, J Balvin. i hate this hook soooooo much wow
100. Nonstop - Drake. How To Flex Your Racial and Artistic Insecurities 101 - and a sprinkle of Tay Keith for good measure

BEST
HM: Wolves; This is America; In My Blood; Youngblood; God is a Woman; Love
10. Havana - Camila Cabello ft. Young Thug
9. Sad! - XXXTentacion
8. Feel It Still - Portugal. The Man.
7. Psycho - Post Malone ft. Ty Dollar $ign
6. Fake Love - BTS
5. Sorry Not Sorry - Demi Lovato. i'm not usually a fan of power pop like this but wow demi go you
4. I Like It - Cardi B ft. Bad Bunny, J Balvin. my pick for Record of the Year
3. Perfect - Ed Sheeran
2. Moonlight - XXXTentacion
1. Never Be The Same - Camila Cabello. she's putting out better music than zayn
David Song

Princeton '21
Bergen County Academies '17
Ben Franklin MS, Ridgewood HS 2011-13
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

Actually going through the Top 100 and ranking the ones I'd listened to made me feel strangely self-conscious about my listening habits.

BEST
1: Friends
2: I Like Me Better
3: God Is a Woman
4: 1-800-273-8255
5: Feel It Still
6: Youngblood
7: Plain Jane
8: God's Plan
9: Lights Down Low
10: Better Now

WORST
1: Gucci Gang
2: Bodak Yellow
3: Look Alive
4: Shape of You
5: Lucid Dreams
6: Meant to Be
7: Thunder
8: MotorSport
9: Girls Like You
10: Wait
Sarah Benner
Avon HS 2013-17, Purdue 2017-21
Unofficial QB Advisor for Purdue, Ohio State, and the State of Indiana

May refer to herself in the third person.
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

1. Drake - Nice For What - The best song here for your local university dancing establishment, how the heck is this a radio song its too good
2. Cardi B - I Like It - BANGER P.S. Really cool that they shouted out Lady Gaga, her music career really needs it
3. Pray for Me - Kendrick ft. Weekend - Makes you feel like you're really dangerous but also in a really expensive car
4. Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next - Thank you when is the next album please I'm ready for the coronation
5. Ariana Grande - God is a Woman - Most dramatic song on the list, bold concept slick sound and wow that choir
6. BTS - Fake Love - This is a banger I don't care if you need to know what they're saying I don't care they could be listing radish varities for all I care
7. N.E.R.D. ft Rihanna - Lemon - Makes you feel like someone owes you money but you're also in no real rush to collect because you're enjoying yourself
8. Offset and Metro Boomin - Ric Flair Drip - Wildly succeeds at making the listener feel really cool, that's really it
9. Migos - Stir Fry - I don't know if it was intentional but this is perfect soundtrack for cooking fried rice at 3pm because you're unemployed
10. Camilla Cabello ft. Young Thug - Ok this bangs, will permanently be associated with Korean restaurants in vaguely urban malls (this isn't a bad thing)

90. Max - Lights Down Low - This isn't that bad but like it's just really bland compared to most of the songs
91. Drake - I'm Upset - Got old really quick, sounds like it was made with a bunch of tracks from dungeoneering games from the early 00s
92. Halsey - Without Me - Why did you have to bite Cry Me a River, saying words really weird isn't an actual chorus stop
93. Florida Georgia Line - Simple - If songwriting was really that simple maybe you guys wouldn't suck, but then again you're rich and I'm not
94. Shawn Mendes - In My Blood - I wish it was in your blood to make better music please Shawn
95. Halsey - Bad at Love - I'm gonna resist the easy joke (bad at music) and instead point out how the synths sound like a bad Runescape song
96. Imagine Dragons - Natural - Please this chorus no just no stop screaming
97. Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry - Was this mixed by/with a turtle, what is that second high vocal why is it like this
98. Florida Georgia Line ft. Bibi Rexha - Meant to Be - Truly grating chorus and a total lack of any real country vibes, truly awful thesis too
99. Imagine Dragons - Believer - I'd say Oops you did it again but that would be unfair to Max Martin and Mrs. Spears to associate their classic with this
100. 6ix9ine - GUMMO - Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer
Nate714
Lulu

Post by Nate714 »

As a youngling my thoughts might be different than many of you.

BEST:
1. Happier (Marshmello & Bastille): I like everything that Bastille does and Marshmello's EDM combined with Dan Smith's voice on this record makes it a top bop of 2018
2. The Middle (Zedd, Maren Morris, Grey): At first I was like "Why is this Target Commercial song on the radio?" but then it severely grew on me by the summer
3. no tears left to cry (Ariana Grande): God the chorus on this song is so good
4. Uproar (Lil Wayne): This isn't on the year end but it's a great send-off for possibly Wayne's last hurrah
5. Nice for What (Drake): One of the best samples ever in Ex-Factor imho
6. New Rules (Dua Lipa): Move over Katy Perry we have a new pop princess in town
7. Friends (Marshmello & Anne-Marie): Same reasons as #1
8. Better Now (Post Malone): got me through some rough times this year
9. Boo'd Up (Ella Mai): R&B QUEEN
10. Feel It Still (Portugal. The Man): Probably the best indie song this year?

WORST (without comment):
1. GUMMO (6ix9ine)
2. FEFE (6ix9ine, Nicki Minaj, Murda Beats)
3. Killshot (Eminem)
4. Havana (Camila Cabello)
5. Perfect (Ed Sheeran)
6. Thunder (Imagine Dragons)
7. Believer (Imagine Dragons)
8. Girls Like You (Maroon 5 & Cardi B)
9. Sad! (XXXTENTACION)
10. No Brainer (DJ Khaled, Justin Bieber, Chance the Rapper, Quavo)
Nathan Finn
St. Lawrence University '23
Leonia High School '19
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

I don't listen to enough of the songs on the list to really accurately pick a bottom 10. And honestly, I almost exclusively listen to the SiriusXM Broadway station or the Pop2K station in my car while I'm driving, so I have a pretty limited exposure to a lot of current popular music. But I do have at least 10 songs I really like from this year, and here they are!

1. High Hopes - I've found myself lately really appreciating the musical talents of Brendon Urie. And this song is incredibly catchy.
2. In My Blood - Shawn Mendes has a fantastic voice, and this song hits some really personal notes for me.
3. Feel It Still - This tends to be more my style of music than anything else on the list.
4. Havana - This is one of those songs I find myself singing a lot for no reason.
5. Youngblood - A surprisingly mature entry from 5SOS, whom I saw perform as an opener for One Direction back in the day.
6. This Is America - It's 2018. Need I say more?
7. Happier - I've kind of fallen in love with the beat of this song.
8. Thank U, Next - Go off, Ari.
9. The Middle - Saw Zedd perform live earlier this year at a Phillies game. Honestly this song would probably be higher but the PA announcer really overdid her intro to the concert with it.
10. Young Dumb and Broke - A bit different in style from everything else I say I like, but maybe that's what makes this one stand out for me.

And while I'm at it, here are 5 unranked honorable mentions: No Tears Left to Cry, God Is a Woman, Better Now, How Long, and 1-800-273-8255
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Charm Bison
Wakka

Post by Charm Bison »

Screw it, I'm ranking them all. All 130. Including the two versions of "Perfect". Let's do this (note after doing this: NEVER DO THIS)
The gaps in between songs are where I drew the lines for the numerical rankings I used to sort this list. The lowest is either 5.5 or 5.75 (I can't remember which), the highest is 9.

Note: when I have a really short review, it means that I don't have a ton to say about this song because I'm writing 130 of these

Unrankable: "I Love It" – Kanye West and Lil Pump: You could put this song at literally any point in this list and I would not argue. There is no way to properly judge this song. It's exactly what I expected from a Kanye West/Lil Pump collab written for the Pornhub Awards, and that's all I can say.

129. "Freaky Friday" – Lil Dicky feat. Chris Brown: Even putting aside Chris Brown's issues, it's a comedy rap song that isn't funny (excepting the line about his dick trending on Twitter) and does not feature good rapping. Also spends *multiple lines* talking about being able to use the N-word and wanting to explore having a vagina. Both of those. Multiple lines.

128. "Thunder" – Imagine Dragons: There are two kinds of Imagine Dragons songs. The huge, blowout arena rock songs, and the songs you'd hear in a commercial for a bank or a nice minivan. You'll see my thoughts on the former further down, but I *hate* the latter. This song may be in the upper tier of that category, but that still sticks it near the bottom of this list.

127. "Yes Indeed" – Lil Baby feat. Drake: There's not much more to say beyond "Wah wah wah bitch I'm a baby"
126. "FEFE" – 6ix9ine feat. Nicki Minaj and Murda Beatz: There are so, so many reasons to hate 6ix9ine, but I'm gonna stick to the song on this one. Most of 6ix9ine's verse consists of two notes alternating over and over, and this unfortunately rubs off on Nicki.

125. "Gucci Gang" – Lil Pump: My favorite part was the part where he said "Gucci gang"
124. "I'm Upset" – Drake: The Degrassi video deserved a better song.

123. "Walk It Talk It" – Migos feat. Drake: There's really not much here.
122. "Nonstop" – Drake: This type of song is definitely not Drake's strength, either lyrically or musically.
121. "GUMMO" – 6ix9ine: This song features actual rapping, which automatically makes it better than "FEFE". 6ix9ine's voice is just super annoying, though.
120. "Simple" – Florida Georgia Line: Country songs need to give me a reason to like them. This one doesn't.
119. "Plug Walk" – Rich the Kid: Extremely forgettable.
118. "Psycho" – Post Malone feat. Ty Dolla $ign: For a while, I didn't really get Post Malone. Looking back, I think it's just that they were playing this song on the radio so much that I didn't have a full picture of the guy. Still not a huge fan, but there's songs I like.
117. "Girls Like You" – Maroon 5 feat. Cardi B: The scrapy guitar in the beginning is interesting, but other than that it's just a bland Maroon 5 ballad. The Cardi B feature is kinda out of place in the rest of the song, but it brings it up a couple ranks.
116. "Perfect" – Ed Sheeran: Not a huge fan of this one, but it's not really for any particular reason. It's a nice song, but it just doesn't do a lot for me.
115. "Perfect Duet" – Ed Sheeran feat. Beyoncé: What the...this is just the original song, but with Beyoncé singing the second verse and a couple harmonies on the chorus. But, Billboard listed it separately at some point, so it's going on the list.

114. "Mercy" – Brett Young: I have absolutely nothing to say about this song
113. "Taste" – Tyga feat. Offset: I like the cooing vocals in the background, but that's about it.
112. "One Number Away" – Luke Combs: Some decent lyrics in this. That's about it.
111. "MotorSport" – Migos, Nicki Minaj and Cardi B: The guest verses are the only thing giving this song life.
110. "Look Alive" – Blocboy JB feat. Drake: The Drake feature is the best part by far.
109. "Moonlight" – XXXTentacion: This synth distortion-y beat isn't working for me, and the lyrics don't help the song's cause.
108. "Don't Cry" – Lil Wayne feat. XXXTentacion: Nothing special.
107. "No Brainer" – DJ Khaled feat. Justin Bieber, Quavo, and Chance the Rapper: It's not cheery enough to be as successful as "I'm the One" was, and it's not really good enough to remembered otherwise.
106. "Meant to Be" – Bebe Rexha feat. Florida Georgia Line: I don't think this song is as terrible as other people in this thread are making it out to be. Still not gonna learn how to pronounce Rexha, though.
105. "Say Something" – Justin Timberlake feat. Chris Stapleton: JT, you're better than this. You gotta get it together, man.
104. "Heaven" – Kane Brown: Cool voice.
103. "Tequila" – Dan + Shay: I listened to this song while writing another entry on this list and by the time it was done I had completely forgotten about it.
102. "Te Boté - Remix" – Nio García, Darell, and Casper Mágico feat. Bad Bunny, Nicky Jam, and Ozuna: Seven minutes. Six artists. One of the most star-studded lineups for a song in years. So why is it so unmemorable? Maybe I'd like it better if I knew what the lyrics were saying, but without that, this song has nothing to grab me.
101. "1-800-273-8255" – Logic feat. Alessia Cara and Khalid: Great production, great message, the song itself leaves a lot to be desired.

100. "BIG BANK" – YG feat. 2 Chainz, Big Sean, and Nicki Minaj: Somewhat generic, I guess. Some interesting stuff from Big Sean.
99. "SAD!" – XXXTentacion: I'm not super broken up that X died (I was never a big fan), more that he had to do it on my birthday.
98. "I Get the Bag" – Gucci Mane feat. Migos: It was probably good
97. "Ric Flair Drip" – Offset and Metro Boomin: The album art is the best part. For some reason, I thought I listened to this when it came out and really liked it, but when I went back, it was nothing like I remembered. Not sure how that happened.
96. "In My Blood" – Shawn Mendes: The more Shawn Mendes songs I hear, the more amazed I am that I really liked "There's Nothing Holding Me Back".
95. "Killshot" – Eminem: How did this hit #3 but "The Story of Adidon" didn't even chart? Must've been the fact that this was officially released on YouTube and Spotify. Shame.
94. "Sky Walker" – Miguel feat. Travis Scott: Nice, calm vibe to this one.
93. "Wait" – Maroon 5: Not my favorite Maroon 5 song, but decent, at least.
92. "Marry Me" – Thomas Rhett: For about a verse, I thought that the singer was the groom, and not the bride's friend, which would've been a way better concept for a song like this. Turns out I was wrong.
91. "Let It Fly" – Lil Wayne ft. Travis Scott: This is why I didn't listen to Tha Carter V. I'm all Wayned out after four songs. How am I supposed to get through 90 minutes?
90. "X" – Nicky Jam and J Balvin: Pretty simple beat except for the chorus, and the variant that pops up there straddles the thin line between annoying and catchy.
89. "Outside Today" – Young Boy NeverBrokeAgain: Easily the stupidest name of the year, but it's a pretty good, simple song.
88. "Don't Matter To Me" – Drake feat. Michael Jackson: The MJ sample in the chorus is great. Shame the rest of the song is so bland.
87. "Diplomatic Immunity" – Drake: Remember this song? From Scary Hours? Remember Scary Hours? Good times, January.
86. "Emotionless" – Drake: The sample is doing some heavy lifting here. The little piano bit is nice, too.
85. "Without Me" – Halsey: Nothing stands out too much to me here.
84. "Kevin's Heart" – J. Cole: These songs are really blending together.
83. "Be Careful" – Cardi B: This song features neither of the two good kinds of Cardi B verses: extremely pissed off and extremely braggadocious. It's still a pretty good song, though, and I love the melodic thing the beat does.
82. "STARGAZING" – Travis Scott: Did you know that Travis Scott's real name is Jacques Berman Webster II? How did he go from that to Travis Scott? That's gotta be the most boring rapper name that's completely made up. I'm a big fan of the multi-movement thing Scott pulls off here, and perfects two songs later (see below).
81. "Drip Too Hard" – Lil Baby and Gunna: I feel like I liked this song a lot more when I wasn't actively listening to it.
80. "Filthy" – Justin Timberlake: It sounds cool, but I can't get past the seemingly unironic chorus refrain of "Haters gonna say it's fake".
79. "Going Bad" – Meek Mill feat. Drake:
78. "Bartier Cardi" – Cardi B feat. 21 Savage: How many times can you rhyme "upset" with "upset" and "Offset" with "Offset"?
77. "Lights Down Low" – MAX feat. gnash: It's a nice slow song, nothing particularly special. Not giving it extra points because the singer used it to propose to his wife.
76. "Eastside" – Benny Blanco, Halsey, and Khalid: Sweet song, wish it had a little more on it.
75. "IDGAF" – Dua Lipa: The drum thing in the beat is cool.
74. "KOD" – J. Cole: A bit more swaggery than the other J. Cole tracks on this list, and I like that.
73. "Him & I" – G-Eazy and Halsey: It bugs me that all the songs that reference "97' Bonnie and Clyde" are nothing like "97' Bonnie and Clyde".
72. "Rockstar" – Post Malone feat. 21 Savage: It's good. I've gotta pace myself on these blurbs so I don't repeat myself.
71. "Let You Down" – NF: It's good.
70. "High Hopes" – Panic! At the Disco: Brendon Urie's voice is doing a lot of the heavy lifting. Not a negative.
69. "Boo'd Up" – Ella Mai: This song is nice, but not really a major Grammy contender in my eyes. It might be that I think the phrase "boo'd up" is kinda stupid. The chorus is really starting to grow on me, though.
68. "ATM" – J. Cole: Was there a long pause in the middle of this song, or did my Spotify freeze? This is a serious question.
67. "Trip" – Ella Mai: Gonna be honest, I probably liked this one better because it was more upbeat. That's kinda how a lot of my music taste works.
66. "Wolves" – Selena Gomez and Marshmello: Really thought this one was gonna rank higher, before I relistened and remembered the parts that aren't the chorus. Shame.
65. "Whatever It Takes" – Imagine Dragons: This one kinda straddles that aforementioned Imagine Dragons line between Walgreens ads and ESPN ads, so I'll give them a pass. For now.

64. "Get Along" – Kenny Chesney: Kenny Chesney is still making music? Good for him. This song is pretty nice.
63. "Young Dumb & Broke" – Khalid: Young Dumb & NeverBrokeAgain (aside from the terrible joke, Khalid's vocals elevate some standard production that seems made for a different song)
62. "ZEZE" – Kodak Black feat. Offset and Travis Scott: The steel drums work surprisingly well, and Kodak's refrain is super catchy. It's still stupid to name your songs this way, though.
61. "Too Good at Goodbyes" – Sam Smith: I think this could've benefited from the instrumentals being pared down a little more.
60. "Better Now" – Post Malone: Best hit Post Malone chorus of the year. The verses are good too.
59. "Friends" – Marshmello and Anne-Marie: Songs that spell out a word are second only to songs that spell out a phone number.
58. "God is a woman" – Ariana Grande: The choir at the end bring this up a few slots.
57. "Powerglide" – Rae Sremmurd feat. Juicy J: Powerglide isn't something that can be defined. It's a state of mind.
56. "Stir Fry" – Migos: I don't know if it's funnier if stir fry is a euphemism for something or if Quavo is literally rapping about stir fry.
55. "Chun-Li" – Nicki Minaj: It was a tough year for Nicki Minaj, but at least she had this.
54. "All the Stars" – Kendrick Lamar and SZA: I'm coming around on this song. The SZA parts and the instrumentals mesh well with Kendrick's verse.
53. "Lucid Dreams" – Juice WRLD: An emo rap song with a really unique perspective, and Juice WRLD's voice works really well on it.
52. "You Make It Easy" – Jason Aldean: The waltzing beat of this was nice, and the guitar solo.
51. "Back to You" – Selena Gomez: This song did not lose any points for originally appearing on the soundtrack to season 2 of 13 Reasons Why.
50. "Happier" – Marshmello and Bastille: My opinion of this song might be affected by my roommate playing it over and over super loud. And attempting to sing along with it every time. Loudly and extremely off-key.
49. "The Ringer" – Eminem: Big fan of songs where rappers take shots at a ton of other rappers.
48. "Dura" – Daddy Yankee: Keep on Daddy Yankee-ing, Daddy Yankee.

47. "changes" – XXXTentacion: Seriously not what I expected going into this song. Pleasant surprise. A lot of it is the same line looped, though.
46. "Uproar" – Lil Wayne: Good stuff. Swizz Beatz still got it.
45. "MIA" – Bad Bunny feat. Drake: Still can't remember that this song is named after the possessive, not the acronym or the British rapper.
44. "Call Out My Name" – The Weeknd: Feels like everyone forgot about The Weeknd's EP earlier this year. I really liked this song, even if the chorus does sound like "Earned It".
43. "I Like Me Better" – Lauv: Chorus >>> verses. Good chorus without completely blowing the doors off, which is nice to see sometimes.
42. "Mine" – Bazzi: Had me bobbing my head along with it, which is always a good sign.
41. "Fake Love" – BTS: This is the first K-pop song I've ever listened to, and it...was basically what I expected. Still pretty good, though.
40. "Love Lies" – Khalid and Normani: Normani singlehandedly lifted this song 5 or 10 slots.
39. "Shape of You" – Ed Sheeran: There's a reason this was such a mega hit that it was in the top 100 of 2018. A deceptively simple musical hook, pretty basic production, and a little help from TLC along with Ed Sheeran's general Ed Sheeran-ness made this the megasmash it became. If you can, check out the version he performed at the Grammys which is just him, a couple instruments, and a loop machine.
38. "Yikes" – Kanye West: Why was this the song from Ye that cracked the top 10? It's gotta be the title, right?
37. "Youngblood" – 5 Seconds of Summer: I kept thinking this song was gonna explode during every chorus, but it kept pulling back.
36. "Delicate" – Taylor Swift: Taylor's new direction on Reputation was a bit of a mixed bag, but a lot of the positives came together here.
35. "Bad at Love" – Halsey: This is one song that makes it this high on my list mostly on the strength of its lyrics.
34. "Natural" – Imagine Dragons: It might just be Stockholm syndrome from watching a bunch of college football this year, but this song is really starting to grow on me. Would be better if the verses were close to as energetic as the chorus.
33. "Lucky You" – Eminem feat. Joyner Lucas: Em doesn't show up until halfway through the song, and he still uses a lot of incredibly Eminem flows, but the dude can still rap.
32. "How Long" – Charlie Puth: Melodic, good groove to it, what else can I say help
31. "Plain Jane" – A$AP Ferg feat. Nicki Minaj: Good, solid bars from all parties involved. What more do you need?
30. "What Lovers Do" – Maroon 5 feat. SZA: This is the kind of Maroon 5 song I expect, and I'm totally fine with.
29. "Sunflower" – Post Malone and Swae Lee: I would make a comment about Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse in this blurb, but I accidentally bought a ticket for a dubbed showing. Whoops. Song ends super abruptly, too.
28. "Lemon" – N.E.R.D. and Rihanna: Four times. Pharrell has sampled a CNN clip of octogenarian senator Arlen Specter at a healthcare town hall in 2009 four times. Four. Entirely. Separate. Times. What the hell, Pharrell? What do you see in this clip? It's a great song, but seriously! Is this the new James Brown or Rick James sample? Why?
27. "King's Dead" – Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, Future, and James Blake: Let's be honest here: Kendrick's verse saves the whole thing. Jay's is decent but short, and...we all know about Future's. It's a tonal shift right after, but it works, and given a clean slate, Kendrick delivers. Dope video, too. Still upset the song didn't make into the movie at all.
26. "In My Feelings" – Drake: While the actual verses might not be anything special, the chorus reminds you just why this was the Song of the Summer™. Plus it has an Atlanta sample!
25. "I Fall Apart" – Post Malone: In contrast, this is a completely different style for Post than on his most recent album, and I am here for it.
24. "God's Plan" – Drake: The fact that this simple of a song was #1 for eleven weeks says a lot about just how popular Drake is. Or maybe it's that people love yelling out "She say do you love me, I tell her only partly". Let's say 50/50.
23. "LOVE." – Kendrick Lamar feat. Zacari: One of the slower tracks off of last April's DAMN., Zacari's crooning over the chorus plus Kendrick's Kendricking makes for a great track.

22. "No Limit" – G-Eazy feat A$AP Rocky and Cardi B: One of the most memorable choruses of the year, even if it was immediately co-opted by Scott Rogowsky.
21. "thank u, next" – Ariana Grande: Every single review of this song has included some variant of the line "It's been a tough year for Ariana Grande." Doesn't make it any less true.
20. "One Kiss" – Calvin Harris and Dua Lipa: Big fan of the old-school European house production. We don't talk about Calvin Harris enough.
19. "no tears left to cry" – Ariana Grande: I love the little touches on this song, like the throwback Max Martin production, or the way the tempo picks up while Ari sings "pickin' it up".
18. "Sorry Not Sorry" – Demi Lovato: It's good. (oh god how an I only halfway through I'm running out of witty remarks)
17. "Nice for What" – Drake: The non-Drake parts carry this song. The Lauryn Hill sample peppered throughout the chorus, the Murda Beatz track that draws from New Orleans bounce, Black Panther's Letitia Wright saying "Watch the breakdown"...ok maybe it's just the third one

16. "Bodak Yellow" – Cardi B: Songs that got white kids hyped up at parties in 2018, part 1 of 2
15. "Shallow" – Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper: It sounds a bit unfinished, which makes sense within the film. Counterpoint: AHHHHHAHHHHAAAAHHHHHOHHHHHAHHHHHAHHHHHHHH
14. "Pray for Me" – The Weeknd and Kendrick Lamar:
ErikC wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:21 amMakes you feel like you're really dangerous but also in a really expensive car
13. "Havana" – Camila Cabello feat. Young Thug: The Young Thug verse drags it down a bit, but the chorus and the main piano instrumentation brings it right back up.
12. "This Is America" – Childish Gambino: Even removed from the video, this song is still incredibly catchy and pointedly topical.

11. "Never Be the Same" – Camila Cabello: It's impressive that this song made it this high despite the stupid way Camilla pronounces "heroin" to fit the rhyme. Love how she shifts her voice between different registers throughout.
10. "Believer" – Imagine Dragons: Remember what I said earlier about arena rock Imagine Dragons? I freaking love them. Screw your takes, this song is going to the top where it belongs.
9. "New Rules" – Dua Lipa: "If you're under him, you ain't gettin' over him" is a top contender for my line of the year (probably just behind "You are hiding a child")
8. "The Middle" – Zedd, Maren Morris, and Grey: It's really grown on me. Love the way the chorus drops in on you.

7. "Mo Bamba" – Sheck Wes: Songs that got white kids hyped up at parties in 2018, part 2 of 2. It shouldn't work as a song at all, but it does. It works so, so well.
6. "Mona Lisa" – Lil Wayne feat. Kendrick Lamar: I love the energy of this track so much. It just builds and builds until Wayne's verse cuts off, then just when you think it might be over...Kendrick's verse kicks in, and hits an even higher fever pitch.
5. "Finesse (Remix)" – Bruno Mars feat. Cardi B: NEW JACK IS BACK BABY. This song is almost supernaturally catchy, Cardi B's swagger fits perfectly with the aesthetic, and the video was an In Living Color tribute. What's not to love?
4. "I Like It" – Cardi B, Bad Bunny, and J Balvin: This song just feels like a huge party. It's a testament to just how well-produced this song is that most of its audience can't understand half the lyrics, and they still listen to it all the way through.

3. "Mi Gente" – J Balvin and Willy William feat. Beyoncé: Hell yes. Hook of the year. The moment that five-note pattern drops in on you, you are entranced, and you wanna get down to the floor and just shimmy. This song was great even in its original, Spanish-only version, but a remix featuring a top-tier guest verse from Beyoncé just took it to a whole other level. It was #99 on the year-end Hot 100 after peaking at #3 last October, but not making back into the top ten in 2018. So glad it snuck in under the wire.
2. "Feel It Still" – Portugal. The Man: Riff of the year, hands down. Yes, a heavy debt is owed to the Marvelettes, and yes, the band's name is stupid, but god DAMN this song is groovy.
1. "SICKO MODE" – Travis Scott: This song has the balls to bust out possibly the best instrumental of the year and drop it completely after a minute on a five-minute track. I love every part of this song. This song completely earns its all-caps. It's a three-movement rap symphony that drops in lines about winter coming in the middle of August, responsibly taking Xanax to sleep on planes, confusing a pool for the ocean, WNBA star Liz Cambage, and multiple references to Jamba Juice, and couples that with a video so crazy and all over the place that I'm not gonna describe it here, because I might write a tossup about it. Every time I listen to this song, I find a new crazy thing to love. Hey, they tried to show us.

I welcome all your comments.
Sam Brochin
Hunter College High School 2012—2018, Pitt 2019—who knows
2016/2017 HSNCT National Champion
"sam brochin take me the **** to waffle house" — Max Shatan
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

sambrochin wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:53 pm .
9. "New Rules" – Dua Lipa: "If you're under him, you ain't gettin' over him" is a top contender for my line of the year (probably just behind "You are hiding a child")
"The Story of Adidon" is the real song of the year.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

1. "Love Lies" - Khalid and Normani: This song's sensuality is almost tangible.
2. "All the Stars" - Kendrick Lamar and SZA: Just stunning.
3. "High Hopes" - Panic at the Disco: I have always been unapologetic pop punk trash, and 2018 was a big year for my personal and professional life, so there's a lot of yelling of this song in my household.
4. "God is a Woman" - Ariana Grande: before this year I thought Ariana Grande was adorable and I wished her well but thought I wasn't her target audience. Everything I've heard so far from Sweetener has proved me wrong, and this song is the real standout. That choir though. I literally did not believe it when I heard it on the radio for the first time.
5. "Sunflower" - Post Malone and Swae Lee: bop along with Miles and unstick from the world for a while.
6. "Pray for Me" - The Weeknd and Kendrick Lamar: I agree with the dangerous man in an expensive car vibe comments, but I also think it's awesome for what's effectively a superhero theme to show a little vulnerability.
7. "New Rules" - Dua Lipa: I can't help but sing along to this song.
8. "Feel It Still" - Portugal. The Man: If you want to see me do the goofy little dance Snoopy does, play this song and try your luck.
9. "Havana" - Camila Cabello: It's hard to articulate what exactly I like about this song, but it has a lot to do with building an aisle in our seasonal department at 4 AM with a friend while this was playing.
10. "Bad at Love" - Halsey: This is not necessarily a better song than some of the ones that didn't make the cut, but holy cow, I needed this kind of nonchalant bisexuality when I was a youth.

Honorable mentions:

"I Like It" - Cardi B: I'm old, and I heard a lot about Cardi B before I ever heard Cardi B, so I wasn't sure what to expect from her work. This is a fun song with a quality sample.
(not eligible) "Castle on the Hill" - Ed Sheeran: This is solid singer-songwriter Sheeran and far and away my favorite song from Divide, but I also enjoy "Summer of '69" and "Pepper," so maybe I have a weird soft spot for songs that mention what happened to side characters.
"thank u, next" and "No Tears Left to Cry" - Ariana Grande: I don't think it's intended to, but "thank u, next" makes me chuckle. It's also a great song to remind young folks that loving yourself after a breakup is what's most important.

91. "Friends" - Marshmellow and Anne-Marie: Please stop spelling. I could tolerate this song otherwise.
92. "Him & I" - G-Eazy and Halsey: I actually kind of like Halsey's half of this song, but G-Eazy is so bad it hurts. It's clumsy.
93. "Thunder" - Imagine Dragons: I love my husband, but I wish he didn't love Imagine Dragons. I'll listen to the rest of their work, but I eventually got him to stop playing this particular song with its random awful noises (seriously, why though?) by singing "Bowser, Buhbuh Bowser, Ollie and the Bowser" (our cats) to the chorus.
94. "Perfect" - Ed Sheeran: This song is perfect....for falling asleep at the wheel. Songs this boring should come with a warning for causing drowsy driving.
95. "Girls Like You" - Maroon 5: I'm not sure I've ever heard the phrase "girls like you" and liked what followed. The Cardi part is probably fine, but I've never made it far enough into the song to be sure.
96. "Meant to Be" - Bebe Rexha ft. Florida Georgia Line: "oh cool Bebe Rexha up next...wait no, what is this?"
97. "In My Blood" - Shawn Mendes: whiiiiiiiine.
98. "Wait" - Maroon 5: I've really disliked Maroon 5 since "Animals" and so far they haven't given me a reason not to.
99. "Say Something" - Justin Timberlake ft. Chris Stapleton: JT should maybe go back to acting for a while and try music again later.
100. "What Lovers Do" - Maroon 5 ft. SZA - it had competition, but "say say say, hey hey now baby" makes this the most annoying song of the year.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Galstaff, Sorceror of Light wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:05 pm I have always been unapologetic pop punk trash
✊
Galstaff, Sorceror of Light wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:05 pmI eventually got him to stop playing this particular song with its random awful noises (seriously, why though?) by singing "Bowser, Buhbuh Bowser, Ollie and the Bowser" (our cats) to the chorus.
why would that be a deterrent
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I was a little worried I'd have a lot of trouble filling out my top ten. I don't, but I do have difficulty finding something creative to say about some of them.

Good
10. By the end of 2018, I was also sick of Zedd's tick-tock motif, but The Middle was a good song.
9. Lights Down Low gets a little bit corny, but I enjoy it anyway.
8. I have no idea how Young, Dumb, & Broke didn't become a bigger hit. Oh yeah, the target audience is too broke to buy music.
(For the purposes of the communal lists, I'm slotting "Shape of You" in here, but it's not on my personal top-10 list for 2018 because I ranked it on my 2017 list)
7. All the Stars would possibly be higher on this list if it had a chance to grow on me, but I wasn't familiar with it until compiling this list.
6. It's very polarizing among my friends, but I find I Like It to be just a party in a song. "I spend in the club / What you have in the bank" is a great flex without it all sounding too obnoxious.
5. Sometimes I enjoy a song so much, I have to try to do it at karaoke at least once, even if it's likely to be a mess. This year's version of that was Back to You. Selena Gomez is pretty good.
4. Yeah we got it goin' on, got it goin' on, don't it feel so good to be us! Damn, sometimes it seems Bruno Mars can do no wrong, and Finesse is one of those times. I don't care how many times he dips into this well.
3. Usually, I'm evaluating songs based on their lyrics. But the drop of I Like Me Better is undeniably the best part of it. It's groovy as all hell.
2. Halsey has a tendency to oversing sometimes, but it works to her advantage in Bad at Love.
1. In the year since I first heard this song, it hasn't grown old, and the refrain is just so infectious. I got New Rules, I count 'em.

Other decent songs that missed the cut:
* "Happier" - The music is a little too upbeat for the tone of the song, and the coda drags on a bit too much, for this song to place, but I enjoy it.
* "One Kiss"
* "No Tears Left to Cry" - I want to like this song more than I actually like this song.

Songs that aren't near either list but I have commentary on them
* "No Brainer" - Justin Bieber at his least punchable, and Chance the Rapper at his weirdest.
* "Sorry Not Sorry" - I like the song more than I like the performance.
* "Youngblood" - I've long outgrown the genre I call "You Breaking Up With Me is Literally Killing Me" so I don't have much use for this song, but "You used to call me 'baby', now you're calling me my name" is a great line.
* "Delicate" - By miles the best single from Reputation, but let down by a disjointed bridge. Sometimes I think about you all the time. Whatever that means.
* "Rockstar" - At least when Nickelback sang about being a rock star, they sounded like they enjoyed it.

Worst
10. Of the country garbage that I hadn't heard until reviewing the toplist, Mercy sounded the least good.
9. It's not that I don't think it's possible that God is a Woman, it's just that "I'm so good at sex, you'll think I'm God" isn't convincing evidence.
8. I am declaring a moratorium on spelling out the name of your song. Lookin' at you, Anne-Marie, and F-R-I-E-N-D-S. Why exactly are you friends with this guy in the first place? For the record, I am sick of friendzone songs from the male perspective as well, and John Mayer's "New Light" would be WAAAAY high on this list if it were eligible.
(As above, "1-800-273-8255" isn't in my bottom-10 for 2018, because it was in my list for 2017; but for the purposes of the communal ranking, I'm putting it here. Let's just say I went to a bar to watch football and wound up next to a guy playing and mumbling this song on repeat. Who can relate?)
7. Charlie Puth looks so stupid in the video for How Long, dancing to his alleged funkiness as he tries to excuse his cheating on alcohol. Get bent.
6. Wait / Can we turn this down, I don't like this sound / Just wait / Used to like this band, now I just can't stand them / Wait
(I had "Too Good at Goodbyes" on my list last year, and we'll slot it in here for this list)
5. If I had ever heard this song on the radio, it'd probably be all the way at the top of the list. In any event, everyone associated with Freaky Friday should feel great shame. But the existence of the song implies that everyone associated with it is incapable of shame.
4. Let's just assume there will be room on this list for Shawn Mendes every year. In My Blood at #4 seems fair.
3. I never really minded "Havana" (Young Thug verse notwithstanding), but one day my friend who despised it texted me complaining about her new follow-up song that goes "nicoTINE, morPHINE, heroINE". When I finally heard it, Never Be the Same was even worse than advertised.
2. 'CAUSE YOU'RE A NATURAL AND SOMETHING SOMETHING LOUD I CAN'T STOP SHOUTING. Screw this song, screw this band.
1. Sometimes even if I didn't hear a song on the radio, its badness shines through enough to get right up the list. Gucci Gang is the dumbest :bees:-ing song of the year.

Dishonorable Mentions
* "Thunder" - I have a personal policy to limit artists to one song on my worst list, and this is the second straight year that rule has saved this song from making my list. Goddamn am I sick of Imagine Dragons.
* "Girls Like You" - The most useless Maroon 5 song since the last useless Maroon 5 song.
* "God's Plan" - "I feel good, sometimes I don't" is the perfect lyric to sum up Drake. Completely devoid of substance.
Jon Pinyan

Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

jonpin wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:28 pm 3. Usually, I'm evaluating songs based on their lyrics. But the drop of I Like Me Better is undeniably the best part of it. It's groovy as all hell.
I don't mind most of this song but the first verse is teeth-grindingly awful, like an even triter Fun. song
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Before my rankings, my biggest takeaway this year is how the change to Billboard's formula to weight streaming more heavily helped rap and hip hop on the Hot 100. Certainly part of the reason there's so many rap songs on this year's list is that since Bad and Boujee and Bodak Yellow, rap music is the center of popular music, but I wonder what we'd have if this chart was just an airplay chart - I bet a lot of the lesser-known guys (YoungBoy Never Broke Again) wouldn't even be on it and the Migos/Cardi-level stars wouldn't have so many songs so high.

I'll note that this is a ranking of "2018 songs", so I've excluded anything that had its peak on the Hot 100 prior to December 1, 2017. There's some "2017 songs" that spilled over and I would have considered for one list or the other, so I haven't ranked I Get the Bag, the suicide song, Shape of You, Sorry Not Sorry, Bodak Yellow, or Rockstar in either list. Who can relate??

1: Ric Flair Drip. I'm amazed to see this song on the list because I thought it would have pretty limited appeal outside of Atlanta, but this is exactly where it belongs. Metro Boomin outdoes himself on the beat: the stuttering 808s create a sense of menace that set you on edge, but have enough of a groove to let you dance at the club, or in the car. Offset has some of his best bars. Ric Flair even walked down the aisle to this song at his wedding!
2: Lemon. Pharrell and Rihanna both released one of their best songs decades into their careers. Rihanna's verse (along with, of course, the beat) is what makes it with some hilarious one-liners (waiting for my thumb like the Fonz, tastes like lunch but it's running from veneers, etc).
3: Powerglide! Another entry I can't believe made the list, but absolutely belongs on here because of the beat. I dare anyone to listen to it and not want to shake something.
4: Plain Jane. I'm voting for the non-remix version (Nicki has been trying way too hard in 2018), which is an instant hit - a lit beat, Ferg growing ever more emotional, and that unforgettable outro.
5: Pray for Me. Whenever you're feeling down, just take Kendrick's advice: look in the mirror and see your only hero.
6: Stir Fry. Can you say Big ol' onion booty in the high school section?
7: This is America. When he came out I wasn't a huge fan of Childish Gambino, but the fact that the same guy who sang Redbone can do a song like this makes me change my mind.
8: Nice For What. Everybody knows that I've been driving the anti-Drake bus since 2010, but this is the best song since Despacito to play with the windows (or better yet roof) down or at a barbecue - anywhere outdoors with nice weather.
9: SICKO MODE. Overstuffed and overlong? Yes. Does that stop my from enjoying Drake alternating between bragging about taking a red-eye flight and threatening to kill Kanye? Not at all.
10: No Limit. G-Eazy is not good (bro Kamaiyah is not going to answer your calls), but this is Cardi's best verse since Bodak Yellow. Also the beat is almost the exact same BPM as Plain Jane so every time I heard this song the DJ faded it into Plain Jane.
11: Taste
12: Drip Too Hard. These two don't do much that lots of other Atlanta trap-adjacent bangers haven't done, but they do it all quite well!
13: Shallow
14: Delicate. Probably not Taylor Swift's best song, but one of the best from her most recent album.
15: Uproar. Swizz is back! Weezy is back!
16: How Long. I've got to hand it to Charlie Puth for reinventing himself. Remember when he became famous with a Meghan Trainor collaboration that was one of the worst pop songs I've heard? And now in the last year and a half he's had two hits (this and Attention) that, while not anything innovative, are perfectly fun pop songs with basslines so infectious I can't turn the radio away.
17: No Tears Left to Cry. I didn't love any individual Ariana Grande song that was a hit this year, but the sum total of her hit singles is really impressive.
18: Heaven. Heaven is a good song, not a great one. But I'm really excited for Kane Brown's career - his lyrics are helping to drive country away from it's bro-style of the last decade, he has an incredible voice, and his existence as a biracial country star in 2018 is challenging stereotypes.

90: Whatever It Takes. I honestly don't understand the appeal of any Imagine Dragons song, but this one at least has 2 seconds of vibe in the chorus I guess.
91: Youngblood
92: Finesse. Cardi at her most annoying and Bruno Mars at his most boring.
93: In My Blood. I thought this was an Imagine Dragons song until I saw the list.
94: Happier. If y'all haven't noticed yet, there's few musical archetypes that bother me more than sad sack self-sacrificial guys. At least there's some good bois in the music video.
95: Let You Down. A rip off of Eminem's flow, but downtempo so people think it's deep.
96: Natural. People say rap isn't music, but this guy screaming is?
97: Thunder. Go away Imagine Dragons
98: Boo'd Up. I feel like I should like this song, but I can't take anything seriously that includes the phrase "Boo'd Up" or has those weird "ba de da dum" sounds in the chorus. It's so grating!
99: Meant to Be. What A&R decided that Bebe Rexha (third tier pop star and exactly who "pop Ally" is supposed to be) could jumpstart her career by teaming up with an over the hill mediocre country group and filming a music video that could be a Dodge ad?
100: Freaky Friday. Lil Dicky is trash and needs to go away. Chris Brown is trash and needs to go to jail! How sad is your life that you're so desperate to be able to say that n-word you want to be an overrated woman-beater?

Favorite songs that I heard on the radio that isn't on here: Taki Taki, If It Feels Good (It Must Be), Drip
Last edited by Steeve Ho You Fat on Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

jonpin wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:41 pm
Auks Ran Ova wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:27 am Best Song I Remember Hearing On The Radio That Is Apparently Not Eligible: Lovelytheband - "Broken"
adosreme wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:44 pm - My favourite song of 2018 not eligible for this list: Let Me Go - Hailee Steinfeld and Alesso featuring Florida Georgia Line and watt
The mostly-rap-phobic NYC radio stations I listen to must be skewing my perceptions, because I was 100% planning to put "Broken" on my favorites list (and figuring out how to apologize for just how douchey a song it is) and I am completely baffled how "Let Me Go", a song I have heard approximately every hour for the past year, didn't make the Year-End chart.
Also on my list of "songs that would almost certainly be in my top ten if they were eligible" is Foster the People's "Sit Next to Me". I am sad that rock is dead.
Jon Pinyan

34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

Post by 34 + P.J. Dozier »

Only doing top 10, since I'm probably not familiar enough with the songs that would be in my bottom 10:

1. "New Rules" - Dua Lipa: You can't really go wrong with Dua Lipa (the album, but the artist as well), and "New Rules" is quite clearly one of the best songs in an already stacked track list. The vocals and production in particular make it such a bop, but I love the power behind the track as well – there's sassy and confident, and then there's "New Rules"-level of badass.
2. "thank u, next" – Ariana Grande: Call me basic, but as somebody who didn't really like Ariana Grande that much until Dangerous Woman and Sweetener, I feel like this track encompasses both what I found appealing about Ari's newer sound as well as her continued evolution as an artist. It's so ridiculously catchy, has been the subject of fantastic memes, and boasts an absolutely iconic music video to boot.
3. "I Like It" – Cardi B, Bad Bunny, and J Balvin: This track throws so many eclectic elements (Salsa! Latin trap! Boogaloo! Freakin' Cardi B!) into one bowl and still manages to create a wonderfully dynamic and fun product.
4. "God is a woman" – Ariana Grande: Ari's vocals on this track are so dynamic – between the triplet flow and trap beat combo in the pre-chorus and the powerful belt (and whistle notes!) in the choruses, "God is a woman" allured me with its vibrancy and, for a lack of a better term, edginess. Also, THAT CHOIR.
5. "no tears left to cry" – Ariana Grande: It was a close contest between this and "God is a woman," and for good reason: her transitions from the soaring chorus to the lower and faster verse are handled with such finesse, and the production complements this really well.
6. "One Kiss" – Calvin Harris and Dua Lipa: We've already established that I'm a massive Dua Lipa stan, and the fact that "One Kiss" is such an infectiously catchy house track only solidifies this.
7. "Mo Bamba" – Sheck Wes: What this track lacks in substance, it more than makes up for with how fun it is. About 80% of said fun comes from the beat freeze moment, of course.
8. "Pray for Me" – The Weeknd and Kendrick Lamar: The narrative of this track is amazing, and Kendrick is on point as always. I was originally skeptical of The Weeknd's ability to make this track even throughout and mesh with Kendrick, but, as it turns out, I have no complaints.
9. "Bad at Love" – Halsey: I actually quite like the lyrics here, especially considering that they're much improved from her Badlands days (let it be known I still enjoyed that album). "Bad at Love" seems to be Halsey per usual, but less... hollow (which is a good thing)!
10. "Finesse (Remix)" – Bruno Mars feat. Cardi B: "Finesse" is just a lot of fun, and Cardi B injects more always-welcome energy to the track. Also, the SoCal Vocals sang this as a crowd-pleasing closer to their ICCA set last year, which I highly recommend people check out!
Wonyoung Jang
Belmont '18 // UChicago '22
ACF; NAQT; PACE
justinduffy
Lulu

Post by justinduffy »

Top 10:
1. All the Stars (Kendrick Lamar and Sia). The combination of SZA smooth vocals with Kendrick's more forceful but still mellow rapping is perfect. I also like that I can enjoy this song in almost any mood. The music video is gorgeous.
2. Nice for What (Drake). Absolute banger from start the finish. The opening riff is great and never lets up. This is one of the few songs that makes me want to dance. It also empowers women, which is good.
3. Pray for Me (The Weeknd and Kendrick Lamar). Never fails to hype me up. I like the electronic bassline/opening theme and the mix of rapping/singing. Another amazing music video, too.
4. God's Plan (Drake). Another hype song. Tight bassline, and as Sam Brochin mentioned, I like yelling, "She say do you love me, I tell her only partly, I only love my bed and my momma, I'm sorry."
5. Feel it Still (Portugal. The Man). Probably the catchiest riff of 2018. My dad loves this song and plays it all the time.
6. I Like Me Better (Lauv). A fun, happy, carefree song. I like how most of the song has minimal background music, but the cool beat kicks in occasionally.
7. Mine (Bazzi). Another fun and happy song. Sweet but also kind of a banger.
8. I Love It (Kanye West and Lil Pump). So I started listening to this song ironically but grew to like it. Great bassline and meme value. I like it played at 2x speed.
9. Lights Down Low (MAX feat. gnash). Solid song with a mix of styles - smooth and quiet at some parts, loud and dramatic at the next. The music video gave me the feels :'(
10. Wolves (Selena Gomez and Marshmello). Otherwise average song with a great chorus.
Honorable Mentions: This is America (Childish Gambino) and Psycho (Post Malone).

Bottom 5:
5. Girls Like You (Maroon 5 feat. Cardi B). Bland and boring.
4. Shape of You (Ed Sheeran). Mediocre and overplayed.
3. Whatever it Takes (Imagine Dragons). Too angsty to be a good hype song, but not enough to be a good sad song.
2. Gummo (6ix9ine). Just no.
1. Gucci Gang (Lil Pump). Meme value aside, this is just a horrible song.
I haven't listened a good chunk of the songs on the list; these are just the worst that I am familiar with.

Top 5 Ineligible Songs of 2018:
1. History (Rich Brian)
2. Dark Side of the Moon (Lil Wayne feat. Nicki Minaj)
3. Broken (lovelytheband)
4. TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME (The 1975)
5. Let it All Work Out (Lil Wayne feat. Samphia)
Honorable Mention: Pretender (Steve Aoki feat. Lil Yachty and AJR).

Musical Hot Take of 2018:
Dark Side of the Moon is Nicki Minaj's best song.
Justin Duffy
Mounds View '18
Harvard '22, '25
Monstruos de Bolsillo
Wakka

Post by Monstruos de Bolsillo »

Top Songs:
1. Ric Flair Drip
2. Sad!
3. Sky Walker
4. Lucid Dreams
5. Plug Walk
6. Plain Jane
7. All the Stars
8. Bodak Yellow
9. Drip Too Hard
10. Mi Gente
11. Havana
12. Feel It Still
13. Nice for What
14. Yes Indeed
15. In My Feelings

Worst Songs:
1. In My Blood
2. How Long
3. Mo Bamba
4. God is a Woman
5. Believer
6. I Love It
7. Gucci Gang
8. Natural
8. Him & I
9. Friends
10. Freaky Friday
11. IDGAF
12. Too Good at Goodbyes
13. One Kiss
14. Walk It Talk It
15. Nonstop
Alex Sankaran
West Chester '17-'21
Henderson (PA) '12-'16
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Best of 2018 (I had 26 initial entries, so I'd say this is a nice sign!):
10. Perfect by Ed Sheeran. While I want this to be played when I get married, I understand why people got sick of Ed Sheeran. This song and Divide stayed around for a while.
9. Sicko Mode by Travis Scott. This would be much higher on my list if there wasn't that uncredited Drake feature on this song.
8. Pray for Me by the Weeknd and Kendrick Lamar.
7. I Like It by Cardi B, Bad Bunny and J Balvin.
6. Nice for What by Drake. Wait, what is this song doing on Scorpion?
5. Heaven by Kane Brown. I never understood why people like Kane Brown until I heard this song. It's nice.
4. I Like Me Better by Lauv.
3. Marry Me by Thomas Rhett. This is the most mature he has ever sounded. Nice job, Thomas Rhett. Way to subvert my expectations.
2. All the Stars by Kendrick Lamar and SZA. My favorite hit from the Black Panther soundtrack. It's just a great song for any time.
1. Finesse by Bruno Mars featuring Cardi B. This song just reminds me of my childhood, and I always smile every time I hear it. Awesome song.

Worst of 2018:
10. Bad at Love by Halsey. And you're also bad at making music, yet I don't see you making songs about that. Dang it.
9. Te Bote by Nio Garcia, Darell and Casper Magico featuring Ozuna, Bad Bunny and Nicky Jam. I just love hearing lyrics I have to translate calling women garbage. It's really great, guys. Keep it up.
8. Yes Indeed by Lil Baby featuring Drake. Lil Baby has the most annoying voice I've heard in quite some time. Also, for real, Drake, this guy and Blockboy JB are who you help get hits?
7. Lucid Dreams by Juice Wrld. Oh, eat me. This song literally sounds like it was written by a 14 year old going through his first breakup. My personal favorite line: "you were made of plastic FAKE!" It's clear it was meant to have a "Burn!" and mic-drop effect added on after he said that.
6. Fefe by Murda Beats, 6ix9ine and Nicki Minaj. Literally no more than 30 minutes of effort went into this song. It's been said by everybody involved....so why are pedophiles getting hits this year, again?
5. Taste by Tyga featuring Offset. Ok, for real, why are we giving honest to god pedophiles hits again?!? Go away, Tyga!
4. Freaky Friday by Lil Dicky featuring Chris Brown. HAHAHAHAHA....oh wait, this song isn't funny. You know what else isn't funny? Diminishing the fact that your co-star on this song beat a woman with the line "my controversial past." Ed, DJ Khaled, Kendall-you all should be ashamed for taking their money to be in this music video. ASHAMED!
3. Gummo by 6ix9ine. Why exactly is it ok for you to shout the n word when you're hispanic, 6ix9ine? Did no one on your crew tell you it was probably a terrible idea?
2. I'm Upset by Drake. I'm upset that you're making a song about being a deadbeat dad, since you don't pay child support to the mother of your child!
1. Sad! by XXXTentacion. Threatening someone you say you love by threatening to kill yourself if they leave you is proof that you are a garbage human being. I hope I never have to hear this song again.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I didn’t have time to say much about this list and really could only rank five songs I didn’t like. Most of the songs were not particularly good or bad, but at least more songs were likable, and a good number tolerable, whereas only a few were very unlistenable to me.

1. New Rules (Dua Lipa)
2. Pray for Me (The Weeknd and Kendrick Lamar)
3. The Middle (Zedd and Maren Morris)
4. Delicate (Taylor Swift)
5. All the Stars (Kendrick Lamar and SZA)
6. Sicko Mode (Travis Scott)
7. Friends (Marshmello and Anne-Marie)
8. Feel It Still (Portugal, The Man)
9. Love Lies (Khalid and Normani)
10. This is America (Childish Gambino)

96. Make It Easy (Jason Aldean)
97. Stir Fry (Migos)
98. Gucci Gang (Lil Pump)
99. How Long (Charlie Puth)
100. Finesse (Bruno Mars and Cardi B)
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Boy was it hard to find enough songs that I liked or disliked strongly enough this year. The current dominance of hip hop doesn't play well to my tastes, and even the genres I love to hate -- country and Drake -- weren't that bad this year.

1. No Tears Left to Cry - This has been my song of the year (among what makes the charts anyway) from the first time I heard it.
2. Feel It Still - Despite my best efforts, I love this stupid song so much.
3. Sorry Not Sorry - I don't know why the vastly superior "Sexy Dirty Love" wasn't the big single from this album, but this is still lots of fun.
4. Finesse - Nothing much remarkable about this, but in this dreary, flat pop landscape, any solid Bruno Mars jam is bound to end up on my top ten. Cardi B is a nice addition.
5. Shallow - Oh cool, I can use this one. Lady Gaga singing anything >> most of what's on the charts at any given time
6. The Middle - This song was so omnipresent this year that I think it just kind of beat me over the head until I decided I liked it.
7. New Rules - A clever bit of songwriting. I feel like Dua Lipa is on the cusp of either doing something truly great, or sanding off the edges and fading entirely into common-denominator pop blandness
8. Him & I - This song shouldn't work, but it does. It's corny in just the right way -- and it's kind of sweet. Halsey's and G-Eazy's voices complement each other really well here, and the production lends the two characters all the gravitas that they think their (probably mundane) relationship deserves.
9. Believer - No, Imagine Dragons still don't know how to write decent songs, but you know what they say about blind squirrels.... This is catchy as hell, enough for me to forgive the borderline word salad that passes for lyrics.
10. Pray for Me - Not a big fan of Kendrick Lamar or The Weeknd, but they're both great here.

Honorable mentions: Delicate, Thank u Next, IDGAF, One Kiss, Lemon, Eastside.

Dishonorable mentions: I Get the Bag, Walk It Talk It, Tequila

Worst:
10. Get Along - A drunk, ugly cousin of Kacey Musgraves's "Somebody to Love". A glib "can't we all just get along" song was the last thing I was looking for in 2018.
9. Changes - I can't even begin to imagine how a song as insubstantial as this would enter the top 20. Maybe it shouldn't actually be in the bottom ten, seeing as it's only a bad song in the same sense that a taco is a bad sandwich.
8. 1-800-273-8255 - Look, I know they're trying, but Logic just isn't good enough at singing to sell this. It makes the strings behind him sound tacky as hell, and the song as a whole a chore to listen to. Who can relate? (WOOO!)
7. Motorsport- The random interjections every fourth beat that are so prevalent in hip hop these days is the easiest way to get on my nerves.
6. Mo Bamba - Monotonous, but not in a way I can tune out and ignore.
5. Psycho - The lyrics to this song are completely incomprehensible to me.
4. God's Plan - For variety's sake I won't fill the list with Drake songs, so I'll just include the worst one here, and say that "I'm Upset" that his sandpapery, "Emotionless" voice is still all over the charts.
3. Don't Cry - Wow, forgot just how gross Lil Wayne's voice is. XXXTentacion's drunken moaning adds nothing whatsoever here.
2. Freaky Friday - Don't think I need to explain why this song is bad
1. (worst) I Love It - This song is just so astoundingly bad in every dimension. I can't think of a single good thing to say about it
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Top 10

1. No Tears Left To Cry - Ariana Grande. There are few pop songs about hope and overcoming negativity that are as catchy and fun as this song
2. Feel it Still - Portugal. The Man. This is one that got better with each successive listen
3. One Kiss - Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa. I think it's less the lyrics and more the overall production and composition; Calvin Harris gets better every year and Dua Lipa has a very good voice to go along with his beats
4. thank u, next - Ariana Grande. In a year where some of the top hits about breakups were all about raging and depression this was a great antidote
5. Love Lies - Khalid & Normani. This flows really well
6. Pray For Me - The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar. A really nice collab that works well outside of the movie
7. Sicko Mode - Travis Scott ft. Drake. There are a lot of fun individual moments here, starting with the drop about a minute in
8. Shallow - Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper. Some of the best singing out of all the eligible songs
9. New Rules - Dua Lipa. The verse where the rules are described is really cleverly written
10. Delicate - Taylor Swift. Easily the best hit song off her album, probably because it's not focused on her, uh, reputation

Honorable Mentions:

Wolves - Selena Gomez & Marshmello. Out of all the Marshmello songs that charted well this year this one was the least grating on the ears
This is America - Childish Gambino. I really like the juxtaposition of styles in the most politically-charged song eligible
Nice For What - Drake. His best production this year
Bad At Love - Halsey. Halsey sings better here than on some of her other songs and lets it out at the right moments
Call Out My Name - The Weeknd. Is it that I've been liking his singing more or that this song is better than those of 2015 that I'm putting this here?

Bottom 10

1. Freaky Friday - Lil Dicky ft. Chris Brown. Holy jesus this is a horrible joke with lots of wrong moments everywhere, starting with choosing Chris Brown as a collaborator
2. GUMMO - 6ix9ine. This kills my ears before we even get to the lyrics
3. Girls Like You - Adam Levine ft. Cardi B. Yep Adam Levine totally sings in phonemes and everything else is just bland and boring. Cardi B can't save this one
4. I Love It - Kanye West and Lil Pump ft. Adele Givens. What a lame joke this is
5. Gucci Gang - Gucci Gang. Gucci Gang
6. Filthy - Justin Timberlake. This is a strange rendition of Sexy Back that has awkward singing and weird sound effects everywhere making it all really unconvincing
7. Simple - Florida Georgia Line. Some of the lyrics just really bother me, never mind that it's Florida Georgia Line
8. FEFE - 6ix9ine ft. Nicki Minaj and Murda Beatz. As grating as GUMMO was 6ix9ine's voice does not work here at all and this is only sort of saved by the guest verses. Well at least he won't be making music anymore!
9. Thunder - Imagine Dragons. The chorus could be sung by a Pikachu and it wouldn't be any worse-sounding
10. Meant To Be - Florida Georgia Line ft. Bebe Rexha. It's a weak, inexplicable collab resulting in a weak and conflicting song

Dishonorable Mentions:

What Lovers Do - Adam Levine ft. SZA. From last year: The choruses to Maroon 5 songs are becoming increasingly unintelligible.
Lights Down Low - MAX ft. gnash. My dislike of this one comes from the vocals being all over the place and the rap verse being out of place (and very slightly late on the beat).
Wait - Maroon 5. More offending blandness
Taste - tyga ft. Offset. Of the generic forgettable rap songs out there this was the worst one
Natural - Imagine Dragons. The yelling doesn't work here at all
I Like Me Better - Lauv. This sound used when Lauv isn't singing is really annoying
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I put this off long enough again, but here we go. Not gonna take the time to scroll through for witty commentary on all the songs that made the final list. 25 voters participated, with all ranking their favorite hits and 21 ranking their least-favorite. Without anything further:

Favorite Songs
78 songs got at least a little love.
10. Thank u next, Ariana Grande - 40 points on 6 ballots, no hate.
9. Finesse, Bruno Mars f/ Cardi B - 41 points on 7 ballots, 1 favorite.
8. All the Stars, Kendrick Lamar f/ SZA - 42 points on 6 ballot, 1 favorite and no hate.
7. The Middle, Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey - 43 points on 7 ballots.
6. Sicko Mode, Travis Scott - 44 points on 8 ballots, 3 favorites.
5. I Like It, Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin - 48 points on 8 ballots, no hate.
4. Pray for Me, The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar - 48 points on 9 ballots, no hate.
3. No Tears Left to Cry, Ariana Grande - 49 points on 7 ballots, 2 favorites and no hate.
2. New Rules, Dua Lipa - 61 points on 10 ballots, 3 favorites and no hate.

But by a wide margin, HSQB's favorite hit song of 2018 is "Feel it Still" by Portugal the Man! The song racked up 80 points on 13 ballots (I will repeat there were 25 voters, so that's a majority!), including one #1 vote.

Honorable mentions (5+ ballots): "This is America" (7), "Nice for What" (6), "Havana" (6), "Sad!", "One Kiss", God is a Woman", "Plain Jane".

Least Favorite Songs
70 songs got at least one negative vote.
10. Believer, Imagine Dragons - 31 points on 5 ballots
9. In My Blood, Shawn Mendes - 31 points on 5 ballots, 1 last place.
8. Whatever it Takes, Imagine Dragons - 41 points on 5 ballots, 1 last place and no love.
7. Fefe, 6ix9ine f/ Nicki Minaj & Murda Beatz - 41 points on 6 ballots, no love.
6. Girls Like You, Maroon 5 f/ Cardi B - 47 points on 9 ballots, no love.
5. Gummo, 6ix9ine - 48 points on 6 ballots, 2 last place and no love.
4. Meant to Be, Bebe Rexha f/ Florida Georgia Line - 53 points on 8 ballots, 1 last place and no love.
3. Thunder, Imagine Dragons - 65 points on 11 ballots, 1 last place.

I'll build up a "lil" drama here, as there were two strong contenders for worst song of the year, and I wouldn't mind either one of them taking the title...
2. Gucci Gang, Lil Pump - 66 points on 9 ballots, 4 last places.

Meaning our "winner" is "Freaky Friday" by Lil Dicky featuring Chris Brown. An impressive 88 points on 10 ballots, including 5 last places and universal glares at the one voter who put it on their best list.

Dishonorable mentions (4+ ballots): "Shape of You" (5), "I'm Upset" (5), "Simple" (5), "Perfect", "Natural", "1-800-273-8255".

I am very thankful to be in a community that has :party:-ing hates Imagine Dragons.

Mixed Bag
By a haphazard arbitrary formula I invented several years ago, here are those songs that earned the most acclaim in both directions. 42 songs got both positive and negative votes.
6. "Havana" (23 points on 6 ballots with 1 #1 positive, 11/2 negative) - score 8.94
5. "Feel it Still" (80/13/1, 9/1) - score 9.02. Turns out a haphazard arbitrary formula might suck sometimes!
4. "Sad!" (36/5/2, 12/2/1) - score 10.43. Not the only song to get both a #1 and a last place vote.
3. "God's Plan" (19/3, 21/3) - score 11.48
2. "Finesse" (41/7/1, 15/3/1) - score 13.08. The other song with both a #1 and a last place.
1. "Gucci Gang" (22/3, 66/9/4) - score 18.75. The song that the mixed bag ranking was apparently invented for.

A total of 106 songs got at least some attention in this poll. The highest song on the Billboard Year-End list that was completely ignored was Dan + Shay's "Tequila", at #32.
Jon Pinyan

Monstruos de Bolsillo
Wakka

Post by Monstruos de Bolsillo »

Cool to see the results. I was literally about to bump this thread earlier today.
Alex Sankaran
West Chester '17-'21
Henderson (PA) '12-'16