2019 PIANO/MO Errata

Old college threads.
vinteuil
Auron

2019 PIANO/MO Errata

Post by vinteuil »

Comment away on errors, packetization weirdness, anything!
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Nabonidus
Wakka

Re: 2019 PIANO/MO Errata

Post by Nabonidus »

We were notified that there was too much poetry in the early rounds. Including stuff like the Beowulf manuscript, there were 18 poetry tossups across the 15 rounds of this tournament. Unfortunately, there were three packets with multiple poetry tossups in the first six rounds. I've moved two of those tossups to later positions.
Derek So
McGill
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

The “negative index of refraction” tossup showed up in two packets. This was the reason for my complaint about not getting a physics replacement since we never had our first clean shot at a physics tossup.

While I believe that my complaint is valid for all situations, I understand it is not always possible. However in this case, I’m pretty sure it’s SOP to replace with the correct subject.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Fucitol wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:57 am The “negative index of refraction” tossup showed up in two packets. This was the reason for my complaint about not getting a physics replacement since we never had our first clean shot at a physics tossup.
I sincerely apologize for this dumb mistake, which we have since rectified. Hopefully this didn't swing any games, and I'm sorry for any delays it caused!
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Carlos Be
Wakka

Post by Carlos Be »

I think the bonus on Chinese poetry said that ghazals have four lines, which does not make any sense.
Justine French
she/her
jsingh
Lulu

Post by jsingh »

I think there was a bonus that mentioned the 1897's World Fair and the answer was Chicago; clearly, that should be 1893. Also, this is a more subjective take, but I felt that the bonus with Neruda had no real easy part.

User was warned to enable a signature -- mod team
Jaskaran Singh
Plano West '18
University of Texas at Austin '22
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

I told Adam about this one already, but
UpToDate wrote:Vestibular schwannomas (also known as acoustic neuromas, acoustic schwannomas, acoustic neurinomas, or vestibular neurilemomas)
(cf here: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/vesti ... ic-neuroma)

I've also heard that the top quark TU will be modified to better rule out B mesons, which is great.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

justinfrench1728 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:16 pm I think the bonus on Chinese poetry said that ghazals have four lines, which does not make any sense.
This is my own wild nonsense (presumably meant "ruba'i") and will be corrected.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

jsingh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:13 pm I think there was a bonus that mentioned the 1897's World Fair and the answer was Chicago; clearly, that should be 1893.
Yet again my mistake! (It is fixed.)
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

There was a bonus part with the answerline “yajna” that I answered with “homa,” which I think is roughly equivalent but was not in the answerline.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
Bhagwan Shammbhagwan
Wakka

Post by Bhagwan Shammbhagwan »

This may not be that much of a concern, but none of the tiebreaker/replacement tossups are history tossups (I think the grey wolves one is ecology?)
Hari Parameswaran
Beavercreek High School '19
Georgia Tech '23
ACF, PACE
Abdon Ubidia
Wakka

Post by Abdon Ubidia »

The bonus part on Oscar and Lucinda said that it was written by Miles Franklin instead of Peter Carey, which caused us to get it wrong.
Anson Berns
Montgomery Blair '19
Brown '23
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

ansonberns wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:54 am The bonus part on Oscar and Lucinda said that it was written by Miles Franklin instead of Peter Carey, which caused us to get it wrong.
This was an (egregious!) error introduced in proofreading on Saturday night, and has now been corrected.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

wcheng wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:30 am There was a bonus part with the answerline “yajna” that I answered with “homa,” which I think is roughly equivalent but was not in the answerline.
I can see why you would say that. I had the impression that there was a stricter distinction, with yajna as a much more formal and public ritual. I'll review the way the terms are used and either add yajna to the answer-line or rule out homa more clearly. Thanks for pointing this out -- my apologies!
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
Duckk
Lulu

Post by Duckk »

I drew a neg on the "debugging" tossup with an answer of "profiling" based on the Valgrind clue. While it is certainly true that Valgrind can be used for debugging, its other major use case is profiling, and indeed this is the use case I am most familiar with (so presumably other people are familiar with Valgrind only/mainly as a profiling tool). A cursory search online confirms that Valgrind is commonly used for both tasks. Perhaps a "it's not profiling, but ..." clause at the start of the relevant sentence would be appropriate to make sure the clue is uniquely identifying.
Seth Ebner
Johns Hopkins University '2x
Washington University in St. Louis '17
Charter School of Wilmington '13
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

I found it a bit iffy that a history tossup on holy Roman emperors named Otto and an art tossup on Charlemagne were in the same packet.

The Castiglione clue in the Qianlong tossup was non-specific; Castiglione served as a court painter to three different Chinese emperors, including the one I negged with (Kangxi).
More things to come when I have time.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

An Economic Ignoramus wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:45 am I found it a bit iffy that a history tossup on holy Roman emperors named Otto and an art tossup on Charlemagne were in the same packet.
Yikes!
An Economic Ignoramus wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:45 am
The Castiglione clue in the Qianlong tossup was non-specific; Castiglione served as a court painter to three different Chinese emperors, including the one I negged with (Kangxi).
We were hoping to head this off by wording it "This ruler was the most frequent subject of portraits by (*) Giuseppe Castiglione." I'll swap in a chronological modifier ("last of three" as opposed to "most frequent").
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Carlos Be
Wakka

Post by Carlos Be »

An Economic Ignoramus wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:45 am The Castiglione clue in the Qianlong tossup was non-specific; Castiglione served as a court painter to three different Chinese emperors, including the one I negged with (Kangxi).
glad I'm not the only one to make that neg
Justine French
she/her
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

The question on Orthodox Jews didn't accept our team's answer of "Haredi." Unless we misunderstood the clues, I think our answer, or the phrase "ultra Orthodox" are in fact the only correct answers - most religious Jews in Israel are what we would call Orthodox, and they still get drafted into the IDF.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:29 pm The question on Orthodox Jews didn't accept our team's answer of "Haredi." Unless we misunderstood the clues, I think our answer, or the phrase "ultra Orthodox" are in fact the only correct answers - most religious Jews in Israel are what we would call Orthodox, and they still get drafted into the IDF.
Good catch—we'll add that to the answerline. However, the rest of the question clearly points to more than just Haredim:
[10] A school linking the Torah to derekh eretz, or “the way of the land,” is part of this strict branch of Judaism. It includes the Hasidic and Lubavitcher movements and “ultras” exempted from Israeli military service.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

No surprise then, Rafael and I didn't hear the word "ultra" in the game.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams
Wakka

Post by Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams »

Sima Guang Hater wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:16 pm I told Adam about this one already, but
UpToDate wrote:Vestibular schwannomas (also known as acoustic neuromas, acoustic schwannomas, acoustic neurinomas, or vestibular neurilemomas)

I've also heard that the top quark TU will be modified to better rule out B mesons, which is great.
Was this changed? Perhaps I'm really dumb, but I ended up negging it with B mesons anyway.
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
UMN (dual enrollment) '19
Cornell ???
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Iamteehee wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:04 pm
Sima Guang Hater wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:16 pm I told Adam about this one already, but

Was this changed? Perhaps I'm really dumb, but I ended up negging it with B mesons anyway.
In true doofus-like fashion, I somehow never added this to our to-do list—it'll be fixed in the posted version of the set...
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
armitage
Wakka

Post by armitage »

Anything happen with this?
Richard
adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

armitage wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:32 am
Anything happen with this?
With an assist from Jason's dad, I aimed to edit the text of this tossup to be clearer that we weren't looking for people to say _acoustic_ neuroma on the leadin since, contrary the link, as far as I can tell, what people call acoustic schwannomas really are neuromas, not schwannomas.

Re: top quark: I did edit the leadin to discuss axigluons to totally invalidate B mesons as being acceptable for that clue (I had initially thought that "asymmetry in producing matter vs. antimatter" was different enough from "oscillating between matter and antimatter" to deter buzzes, but perhaps that is insufficient to distinguish at game speed?)
Adam Silverman
BS Georgia Tech '16
PhD Northwestern '21
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

adamsil wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:14 am
Re: top quark: I did edit the leadin to discuss axigluons to totally invalidate B mesons as being acceptable for that clue (I had initially thought that "asymmetry in producing matter vs. antimatter" was different enough from "oscillating between matter and antimatter" to deter buzzes, but perhaps that is insufficient to distinguish at game speed?)
(I somehow missed this change; regardless, the posted version will have a straight "it's not the B meson, but..." tag.)
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Wakka

I buzzed in with equilibrioception on the balance tossup and got negged.

I said "surfactant production" for the part on breathing in the breathing/alveoli/acini bonus.
I'm fairly sure both of these answers should have been accepted.
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
Cornell ???
warum
Lulu

Post by warum »

Iamteehee wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:47 pm I said "surfactant production" for the part on breathing in the breathing/alveoli/acini bonus.
We also said this. I have no idea whether it should be acceptable, but Bryce Hwang (our biology player and current medical student) seemed to think so.
Natan Holtzman
Stanford 2024, UNC 2016, Enloe 2012
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Iamteehee wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:47 pm I said "surfactant production" for the part on breathing in the breathing/alveoli/acini bonus.
Richard Yu said "lung development". I'm guessing that different parts of the clues pointed to different issues with breathing?

The other question we protested was an answer of "arts center" for "sculpture garden", which should probably be added as a prompt.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

Iamteehee wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:47 pm I buzzed in with equilibrioception on the balance tossup and got negged.

I said "surfactant production" for the part on breathing in the breathing/alveoli/acini bonus.
I'm fairly sure both of these answers should have been accepted.
Yeah, these are all my fault for not anticipating acceptable alternatives. I should have seen _breathing_ being a problematic answerline and just made it on "lungs" or something more concrete. (That's why the prompt asked for "general process"--but in retrospect, that's an utterly meaningless phrase). Sorry--these would all have held up under protest, so I hope they didn't matter to the outcome of a match.

(but seriously though--did you actually buzz in and say the word equilibrioception? I had to look that word up just now...! :shock: )
Adam Silverman
BS Georgia Tech '16
PhD Northwestern '21
Wakka

adamsil wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:35 pm
(but seriously though--did you actually buzz in and say the word equilibrioception? I had to look that word up just now...! :shock: )

I have no idea why I said it instead of just "balance," but yes I did.
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
Cornell ???
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

FWIW I don't think Geoff's answer is that ridiculous--equilibrioception is a common vocab word seen in MCAT prep material (and it's of course a well-known term in medicine).

The breathing question really confused me, because IIRC, all the clues were talking about things that happen in utero.... and the fetus does not breathe in utero! I'd have to see the exact wording to be sure, but I'm not sure the clues actually point to the correct answer.
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT
adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

touchpack wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:21 pm
The breathing question really confused me, because IIRC, all the clues were talking about things that happen in utero.... and the fetus does not breathe in utero! I'd have to see the exact wording to be sure, but I'm not sure the clues actually point to the correct answer.
The intent was to be specifically about things that are detected in utero that would lead to postnatal breathing problems. Perhaps the wording didn't make that clear enough though?

Defects in this general process are assessed prenatally by the ratio of lecithin to sphingo·myelin in the amniotic fluid. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this natural process that depends heavily upon the availability of di·palmitoyl·phosphatidyl·choline. In infants, defects in this general process are diagnosed postmortem by the accumulation of a hyaline membrane.
ANSWER: breathing [or respiration]
[10] Absence of pulmonary surfactant in preterm infants is usually due to insufficient development of Type II cells in these small cavities in the lungs where gas exchange occurs. Smoking destroys them.
ANSWER: alveoli [or alveolus]
[10] Alveoli are located at the distal end of these functional units of the lungs, which consists of a bronchiole and the alveoli clustered together in a rounded sac. In anatomy generally, this term describes exocrine glands whose secretory sections have a narrow lumen, unlike alveolar glands.
ANSWER: acinus [or acini; or acinar glands]

I think the first part of this bonus failed in a "you have to be able to read my mind" way, sorry about that.
Adam Silverman
BS Georgia Tech '16
PhD Northwestern '21
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

adamsil wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:47 pm
touchpack wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:21 pm
The intent was to be specifically about things that are detected in utero that would lead to postnatal breathing problems. Perhaps the wording didn't make that clear enough though?

Defects in this general process are assessed prenatally by the ratio of lecithin to sphingo·myelin in the amniotic fluid. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this natural process that depends heavily upon the availability of di·palmitoyl·phosphatidyl·choline. In infants, defects in this general process are diagnosed postmortem by the accumulation of a hyaline membrane.
ANSWER: breathing [or respiration]
[10] Absence of pulmonary surfactant in preterm infants is usually due to insufficient development of Type II cells in these small cavities in the lungs where gas exchange occurs. Smoking destroys them.
ANSWER: alveoli [or alveolus]
[10] Alveoli are located at the distal end of these functional units of the lungs, which consists of a bronchiole and the alveoli clustered together in a rounded sac. In anatomy generally, this term describes exocrine glands whose secretory sections have a narrow lumen, unlike alveolar glands.
ANSWER: acinus [or acini; or acinar glands]

I think the first part of this bonus failed in a "you have to be able to read my mind" way, sorry about that.
Ah, this is better than I remembered. (admittedly, the other team was controlling the bonus, so I was not 100% focused, and Auroni figured it out with very little difficulty) I think the fact that this is the first part of a bonus (and thus you have a lot of time to think about it) helps too--this type of question would be a nightmare to try to parse at tossup-speed.
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

I finally tracked down the clue in the Russian (linguistics) tossup that felt weird: the vocative case in Russian was described as only appearing in diminuitive nicknames. In reality, it also shows up in churchy stuff - most notably, the phrase bozhe moy, "my God," which uses the vocative form bozhe of the word Bog.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
jmarvin_
Wakka

Post by jmarvin_ »

cornfused wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:02 am I finally tracked down the clue in the Russian (linguistics) tossup that felt weird: the vocative case in Russian was described as only appearing in diminuitive nicknames. In reality, it also shows up in churchy stuff - most notably, the phrase bozhe moy, "my God," which uses the vocative form bozhe of the word Bog.
I take full responsibility for this mistake. When I wrote this, and I was thinking back if there were other instances of the vocative being preserved, all that came to mind were nicknames and so I let the "only" sneak in where it shouldn't have. I had cordoned off the churchy stuff into the "still Church Slavonic" category of my mind (since liturgical language still is) when it's true that the Slavonic constructions (via liturgy) have maintained a stubborn place in modern, conversational Russian too.

This error is easily corrected by deleting the "only."
john marvin
university of chicago - joint ph.d., philosophy and philosophy of religions, 2028
university of chicago - m.a. philosophy of religions, 2021
boston college - b.a. theology, 2018