Holy Smokes, It's Nobel in Literature Speculation Time!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Holy Smokes, It's Nobel in Literature Speculation Time!

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Welp, for the second year in a row I have neglected to create a thread in which we can all make wrong guesses about who will win the Nobel Prize in Literature. I've been doing this for a long time on this board, something like 27 years, though I'm not checking to verify.

Here's a link to some odds, which are always wrong, so don't bother to click it
Just throw out some nutty names!

They picked an American (Louise Gluck) last year, ensuring that Thomas Pynchon, Cormac McCarthy, and Don DeLillo will never get the medal. And sooner or later the committee will have to at least try to live up to its repeated claims that it cares about non-European authors. So for a lot of people speculating this year, that means it's finally Ngugi Time!

But I'm pulling a name from my youth, another songwriter/poet in the style of the greatest cultural and intellectual figure of the last 60 years, Robert Alan Zimmerman: that is Linton Kwesi Johnson. He deserves to win just for this banger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isMjvRpAckU
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Re: Holy Smokes, It's Nobel in Literature Speculation Time!

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

you're too good for ladbrokes now?
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

LKJ is great. He just received an honorary doctorate from the UWI, Mona. Knowing a bit about him, I think that's a greater honor than a Nobel.

Wilson Harris, who is now dead, would have been a good candidate. I dont see the academy giving it to Jamaica Kincaid. (Or Merle Collins or Dionne Brand).
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

you're too good for ladbrokes now?
If I could paste an image here, I'd paste the image one sees when one clicks here: https://www.ladbrokes.com.au/sports/nov ... 0043de62f5 (trigger warning: Marky Mark trying to look like Mr. Roarke).
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Holy smoke, it' s Abdulrazak Gurnah, who was not on the odds list--stupid bookies!

But congrats to him, and now let's all go read Paradise: https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/paradise-9780747573999/.
Chris Borglum