2022 ICT general discussion

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2022 ICT general discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

This is your general discussion thread for the 2022 NAQT ICT.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
eygotem
Wakka

Re: 2022 ICT general discussion

Post by eygotem »

Twas a good set (at least in D2), though some of the tossups felt very much like "this can only be one thing." Some examples from me and my teammate include the equilibrium tossup with "this state," and the autumn tossup in poetry. There also seemed to be a fair amount of difficulty swing in the bonuses (perhaps it's our spotty knowledge speaking). Overall, I was impressed with the questions and look forward to (hopefully) playing D1 next year.
June Yin (they/them)
Ladue 2021
WUSTL 2026(?)
njoshi1
Lulu

Post by njoshi1 »

I felt like the autumn tossup could've reasonably been another season, I just figured it was likely autumn than any other season. The tossups where I felt particularly strongly about this were "si, se puede" (were we supposed to have another idea in mind at "this spanish phrase"?) and "london and paris."
Neal Joshi
Carmel ‘21
WUSTL ‘25
benchapman
Lulu

Post by benchapman »

For what it's worth, on the "Si, se puede" tossup, I was trying to remember how to say "We shall overcome" ("Nosotros venceremos") in Spanish for a while before the other team got it because I thought that could have been the answer. The answer space was certainly drastically shrunk by the pronoun, but there was still more than one answer to choose from.
Benjamin Chapman
Hunter College High School '21
University of Toronto '26
Gene Harrogate
Wakka

Post by Gene Harrogate »

The DI set felt like one of the strongest NAQT sets I've played, maybe the strongest. There were few absurd, why-did-we-need-a-tossup-on-that kind of answerlines, and the set felt difficult without being a death march. Overall very good experience with the questions.
Henry Atkins
ex-McGill
Amizda Calyx
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Amizda Calyx »

I'm happy I finally got to reap real-world prestige from my brief, obnoxious 1400-word deep-dive into 1960s St Kilda footballer notability in a Wikipedia article deletion discussion...

Other notes: I thought the bio in this set was very strong, with a lot of interesting but accessible answerlines. The tournament overall was very well-run and didn't feel like it dragged on. The only complaints I really have are related to the NAQT format in general rather than anything particular to this ICT, so I think that's a pretty good endorsement of the quality of the set.

Thanks to all the writers and staffers!
Joelle Smart
Ellensburg High School, 2006–10
University of Washington, 2010–14
Rutgers University, 2015–20??
PACE
HSAPQ biology editor, 2014–2017

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

I want to thank Andrew Hart, Rob Carson, Matt Bollinger, and Billy Busse for all of their work on the DI set, and Jeff Hoppes and Seth Teitler for all of their work on the DII set. They put in a TON of work to make this question set what it was, and I think it showed.

Also, it's far too many people to list here, but another gigantic thank you to all the subject editors who worked on the various categories for the sets, and all the writers who contributed questions!
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

I just wanted to say that I appreciated how some of the issues brought up at ICT were fixed in time for IPNCT the next day. That's a quick turnaround, especially given how hectic the weekend was!
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Whiter Hydra wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:33 pm I just wanted to say that I appreciated how some of the issues brought up at ICT were fixed in time for IPNCT the next day. That's a quick turnaround, especially given how hectic the weekend was!
One of the advantages of not having paper packets! I was a skeptic, but I generally liked the question reading system at ICT.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Aaron's Rod wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:16 pm
Whiter Hydra wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:33 pm I just wanted to say that I appreciated how some of the issues brought up at ICT were fixed in time for IPNCT the next day. That's a quick turnaround, especially given how hectic the weekend was!
One of the advantages of not having paper packets! I was a skeptic, but I generally liked the question reading system at ICT.
I too was extremely skeptical of the online system. I'll take this of my opportunity to share just how immensely impressed I was by the online question system. Thanks to all who made this a wonderful weekend.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
matthewspatrick
Lulu

Post by matthewspatrick »

Adding to the chorus of game officials who were impressed by the OQS with integrated scorekeeping. It really made both aspects of officiating much, much easier, and I'd be content to never go back to paper again.
Patrick Matthews
University of Pennsylvania 1989-94
NAQT Member Emeritus and co-founder
I do not speak for NAQT in any way, shape, or form.
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

The NAQT logistics team started meetings last summer to talk about “what we would like a perfect online question system to look like”. We then prioritized what was a must for this year and what could wait.

I would like to thank Rob Hentzel, Jonah Greenthal, Bernadette Spencer, Jessie Francis, and Nathan Murphy for all your work over the last year to get OQS to where it is today.
Joel Gluskin
WUSTL '04
NAQT Vice President for Logistics