SPRING II (SHOW-ME, Online, SUNDAY 4/16/2023)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
komododragon655
Wakka

SPRING II (SHOW-ME, Online, SUNDAY 4/16/2023)

Post by komododragon655 »

I am exited to announce SPRING II (SHOW-mE Players Revel In National Games II), an online high school and middle school tournament on Sunday, April 16th, 2023. We will be using the high school regular difficulty set SHOW-ME for the tournament. We will have both a high school division AND a middle school division.

I, Andrew Gao (Chenery), and Sam Macchi (Belmont) will be directing this event.

This tournament is intended to function as an online high school mirror and a tournament for middle school teams preparing for MSNCT. High school teams who have a local mirror are encouraged to play that mirror. Middle school teams attending MSNCT are encouraged to play this tournament for good prep for playoffs. We will have a separate middle school division.

Rules
Rosters are capped at 6 players, and only 4 players may play at one time. Players must follow NAQT gameplay rules (with timing + other small modifications) and active players must show TWO HANDS on camera if they don’t have an exemption from a TD. Players will additionally follow PACE's Honor Code. Any suspicions of cheating will be investigated and may be reported to quizbowl organizations.

Format
We will have two divisions for this tournament, a high school division and a middle school division. The HS division will be capped at 32 teams, while the MS division will be capped at 16 teams. Teams will be guaranteed 9 games. We will use 20 tossups and 20 three-part-bonuses per untimed round. 15-point powers and negative-5-point negs are in play. There will be no computational math.

Additionally, this tournament is a pending PACE qualifier, meaning high-finishing teams at this tournament may qualify for quizbowl nationals in June! Only teams in the high school division may qualify for PACE.

Games will be played on Discord, with Buzzin.live for buzzing. Each individual player must have their own Discord account to join the tournament server. Making an account can be done so here.

Registration
Register teams using this form. Outside staffers will be paid $25 for staffing the whole tournament and may sign up here. Team registration will close on April 13th at 3:00 PM EDT.

Fees
Base Fee: $70 per team
Shorthanded (1-2 players) discount: -$20
Staff Discount: -$25
There will be a minimum fee of $0 per school. Teams who cancel after April 12th at 11:59 PM EDT must pay the full fee, barring extenuating circumstances.

Payment should be made out through Venmo or by check. If your school needs a W-9 or additional info to pay, please let us know via email before registration. We will send payment details prior to the tournament.

Stats
Team and individual stats will be posted on hsquizbowl.com within 24 hours of the end of the tournament. We will have live stats up to the game on a Google Sheet, and category and subcategory stats.

Misconduct
Anyone involved with the tournament, including but not limited to: coaches, players, staff, tournament directors, and spectators must adhere to the PACE Code of Conduct. Misconduct can be reported to this form and/or sent to [email protected].

Contact
Please direct any questions to [email protected]. We hope to see your team here!
Last edited by komododragon655 on Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:56 am, edited 10 times in total.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
Chenery Middle School '23, Belmont High School '27
Pandruwu Sheetz, ex-MSQBRank
2022 MS IPNCT Finalist (3rd), 2022 MSNCT Finalist (2nd), 2023 MSNCT Champion
[email protected] | pandruwu on Discord
komododragon655
Wakka

Re: SPRING II (SHOW-ME, Online, SUNDAY 4/16/2023)

Field (updated 4/14 at 6:50 AM ET):

High school division:
American (CA)
Batesville (AR)
"st. ryan’s sauna"
Lambert A (GA)
Lambert B (GA)
St. Louis Patriots (MO)
Canyon Crest (CA)
Troy (MI)
Bellarmine (CA)
Trinity (NY)
Minnetonka (MN)
Fremd (IL)
Westview (CA)
Peddie (NJ)
Stanton College Prep A (FL)
Stanton College Prep B (FL)
Auburn (IL)
"Ali Hamzeh"
University Lab (IL)
Heights (TX)
Westside (TX)
Del Norte A (CA)
Del Norte B (CA)
Del Norte C (CA)
Chattahoochee (GA)
Strake Jesuit (TX)
Solon (OH)
Mississippi Math and Science (MS)
Garfield (OH)
Barrington (IL)
Northview A (GA)
Northview B (GA)
32 teams / 32 teams

Middle school division:
Washington Connections (WA)
Classen SAS (OK)
"the neg 5 empire"
Longfellow (VA)
Heritage (NJ)
"Team ROT AM"
Smith (NC)
Design39Campus (CA)
"Team ROT JA"
River Trail (GA)
Sycamore (IN)
North (ID)
T. H. Rogers A (TX)
T. H. Rogers B (TX)
"Team ROT NG"
Clarke (MA)
16 teams / 16 teams

Total teams (MS + HS): 48 teams, 34 staffers; the field is capped at 32 teams for the HS division and 16 for the MS division
Last edited by komododragon655 on Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:28 pm, edited 66 times in total.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

The field for this tournament has been expanded to 24 teams! Teams are welcome to sign up here and staff here.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

There is a little more than a week to sign up for the tournament. You may do so here. Additionally, with the cancellation of Stevenson's SHOW-ME mirror, we are inviting all Illinois teams to play SPRING II!
Andrew Gao (he/him)
Metacarpal
Lulu

Post by Metacarpal »

oh hey andrew, i'm Vidyut - anderson will NOT be using the name 'Anderson' for the tournament - we will be called 'the neg 5 empire'

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Vidyut Arvind
Student and quizbowler at the High School for Math, Science, and Engineering, New York
GAQBC server moderator
Email: [email protected]
komododragon655
Wakka

With 6 middle school team registrations, we have now created a middle school division! Middle school teams should sign up using the same registration form in the forums post.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

The field has been expanded to 20 teams for the high school division and 10 teams for the middle school division! Sign up here!
Andrew Gao (he/him)
Eagles22
Lulu

Post by Eagles22 »

You originally mentioned that this tournament was a pending PACE qualifier, as we approach the tournament date, is there any updates on that?
Ty Bishop | University of Arkansas Quiz Bowl
BHSC CO'23
UARK CO'26
komododragon655
Wakka

There is unfortunately no update on the issue of PACE Qualification status, but we expect one soon.

Additionally, the high school division has been expanded to 24 teams. We are also looking for staff- staff can sign up here: https://forms.gle/4oJ973B11W3tWnps9, and staff will either be paid $25 or receive community service hours.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

The middle school division has been expanded to 12 teams. Registration closes in less than two days (this Thursday @ 3 PM ET)!
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

The high school division has been expanded to 26 teams. We will expand by 2s once the waitlist hits two teams! We are also looking for more staff still.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

The HS field has been expanded to 28 teams. We have 1 MS team on the waitlist, and we will expand to 14 teams in the MS division should another team sign up. Team registrations are welcome to come in for another 22 hours!

All registered teams and staff should have received an email/DM at this point containing the Discord server link and other important info. If you are signed up to play/staff, and have NOT received this, contact me IMMEDIATELY (pandruwu#0754 on Discord or email: [email protected]).
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

The field for the middle school division has been expanded to 16 teams.

EDIT as of 10:46 PM ET: the field has been expanded to 18 teams.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

The field for both the HS division and the MS division have been finalized at 32 and 16 teams respectively. Staff are still welcome to sign up through the staffer form. A final logistics email should've gone out to all teams last night, please contact me if you did not receive this.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

SPRING II happened yesterday! The tournament ran smoothly in large part thanks to Sam Macchi, the co-TD for the event, who handled all day-of work. I was unfortunately not able to be present for many games, but Sam ran the biggest online tournament in at least a few months excellently!

We would like to give special thanks to Conor Thompson, who helped craft fair schedules/formats for both divisions. Conor ran stats throughout the day, helped out with protests, and did lots of other work behind the scenes. Obviously, this tournament could not have been at all possible without the tireless work of our staffers (especially those who stepped up at the last minute to help): Joy An, Joel Miles, Andy Yu, Kriv Jhajhria, Mike Laudermith, Zane Rasmussen, Henry Morales, Egan Turner, Satya Bheemarasetti, Angela Sun, Meher Mehta, Bridget Wu, Dillon Robertson, Edward Chen, Pablo Hu, Jessica Shen, Sophia Peng, Jasmine Wang, Spencer Manning, Khugan Chan, Arnav Lahoti, Taran Knutson, Jeffrey Xu, Teigue Kelly, Sophia Guo, Srikrishna Bollu, Dan Rajaratnam, Ian Palansky, Claire Chan, Ace Chun, Lynda Ma, Rajiv Pujara, Camden Williams, Vikram Narasimhan, Hari Veginati, June Yin, Dylan Yamzon, Iris Elmido, and Guy Indorante. Finally, we'd like to give a big thanks to all 32 HS teams and 16 MS teams who played SPRING II on Sunday. We hope you enjoyed the tournament and it was worth your well-deserved weekend!

In the high school division, after nine rounds and four (!!) different phases, Auburn (IL) and Barrington (IL) were to contest a one-game final to determine the winner of the tournament. Barrington ended up winning 540-270, making them first and Auburn second! University Lab (IL) and Troy (MI) tied for third place. Jack Rado from Garfield (OH) was our top scorer in both prelims and overall!

HS stats: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/8 ... 281-10%29/
HS category stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1320100953

In the middle school division, a close 270-230 win by Classen SAS (OK) a) prevented a four-way tie at 3-2 and b) gave them the best playoff record among all top bracket teams! River Trail (GA), Washington Connections (WA), and Clarke (MA) all tied for 2nd place. Classen's own Sreekar Vajjha was the top scorer in prelims.

MS stats: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/8 ... 281-10%29/
MS category stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1895706625
Andrew Gao (he/him)