2023-2024 High School Quizbowl Set Availability Discussion

Anything that's on topic but doesn't fit elsewhere, including related events that might be of interest to quizbowl players.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

2023-2024 High School Quizbowl Set Availability Discussion

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Hello quizbowl,

This past season definitely saw a glut of sets (Note: I am not blaming anyone specifically here. Wanting to write questions is great) that were all available at one particular difficulty, which is Regular-Plus. I think, as a community, we really need to have a discussion about how many sets like that we can accommodate in a calendar year, as the teams that don’t make the Groger Ranks also need sets that they can play on and have meaningful games on as well.

So to get this conversation started, I think there need to be more regular sets available during the year, as opposed to regular-plus sets. I think a lot of teams will be served better by us doing this.

Here’s what I know that’s available for next year:

-Planetfall [Regular] (available in September)
-MOQBA Novice [Novice] (available in September)
-SCOP Novice [Novice] (I’m assuming it will be available in October due to historical precedent, but I’m not in charge of SCOP, so do not take this as official confirmation)
-Maryland Spring Classic/Hoosier Invitational [Nats-Prep] (available in Spring 2024)
-SCOTTIE [Regular-Plus] (I’m assuming it will be available in September again due to historical precedent)
-SANDS II [MS and HS Novice] (Not sure when it’s available yet, will update when I know for sure).
-DMA [Nats-Prep] (available in Fall 2023)
-HFT XV [Regular-Plus] (might be available in the fall?)
-CREEK [Regular-Plus] (available in September)
-Ganon's regular set
-SCURVY [Regular-Plus] (unsure if available in Fall)
-SITH [Regular] (unsure of when it's available)
-Conor Thompson head-edited Novice set [Novice] (unsure of availability yet)
-KICKOFF II [Regular and Regular-Plus]
-IQBT Regular Season Sets [Regular]

Here are some of my takeaways here:

I think the regular-plus set market is already filled. What we need more of is regular sets that teams of all skill levels can have meaningful games on. Regular sets will make you money, just from my home state of Missouri alone (every regular set this past season was mirrored at at least 3 sites in Missouri).

Relatedly, here is a thread for people to get together and start collaborating if people are looking for collaborators for sets.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: 2023-2024 High School Quizbowl Set Availability Discussion

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Kind of wondering how other people feel about this...with everything I've seen announced and had privately confirmed to me, I think we're in for a strong year with regards to regular difficulty set availability.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!